Sign in to follow this  
PeaJay

Upgrade or replace FSX PC ?

Hello,

I'm an ancient newbie just a little desperate for advice.

I have been using FSX with Windows 10,  64 bit  for a while a now hope to up grade my 24" monitor to an AOC 32"  Q3277  model, but I'm quite unsure about other hardware upgrade requirements which may be essential to a good performance from my pc with the new monitor.

I expect to upgrade my current GTX 285 to GTX 1070 but I don't know whether my eight  year old CPU i7  920 overclocked to 3.8, will be a suitable combination to this new graphics card.

Also, should I upgrade the 6 gb ram currently installed, and will the current motherboard, Gigabyte GA-EX58 still be suitable for any new hardware ?

I'm assuming that the current 1TB drive and 128mb SSD will still be ok to use ? 

I seem to be asking for a lot of help, but I'm anxious not to make an expensive mistake.

So, any advice would be really appreciated. 

Thanks.

If you are looking for some expertise in hardware and technology I would recommend a website called Tom's Hardware - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/. It is a forum group full of technologically intelligent people that can help you with just about anything. There may be some people on this forum that can help you but if not this is your best next choice. I hope you can get the help you're looking for!

Clay

spacer.png

For FSX,  a GTX1070 would be overkill..  :blush:

Suggest looking at the GTX 1050 ti if you are on a budget.

Bert

Welcome to Avsim!

The GTX 1070 will work fine with the QHD monitor you've chosen for the upgrade.  And your motherboard will accept the new video card as well.  If the 6GB of system memory you have now is working, you can try running it with your new components.  Use Windows Task manager to study memory usage and then decide from that point.

As far as a new system... welllllll, that would make it much easier for you to sidle on up to P3Dv4! :biggrin:

HTH,

Greg

Thanks Bert.   Food for thought.

Thanks Clay.   I'll try your suggestion if all else fails.

Thanks Greg.  My only concern now is whether or not my very old CPU, i7  920 overclocked to 3.8 will provide a decent balance to the  new 1070, without bottlenecks etc,   while using the pc with FSX .

Thanks again to everybody  for your helpful and speedy advice. /

Regards,  PeaJay.

4 hours ago, PeaJay said:

Thanks Bert.   Food for thought.

Thanks Clay.   I'll try your suggestion if all else fails.

Thanks Greg.  My only concern now is whether or not my very old CPU, i7  920 overclocked to 3.8 will provide a decent balance to the  new 1070, without bottlenecks etc,   while using the pc with FSX .

Thanks again to everybody  for your helpful and speedy advice. /

Regards,  PeaJay.

How long are you planning to stay on FSX? I ask because if you wish to move to PD3 64bit soon, it might be better to invest on a new CPU and video card in one go.

All the best,
Simbol

Thanks Simbol.

I think that at eighty seven I'm unlikely to switch to PD3.      Old dog ,  new tricks  !     What makes PD3 so much better than FSX ?

My only upgrade problem now is that I'm so unsure about my old CPU 's capability when paired with the new GTX 1070, that its really, "get a more up to date CPU maybe unnecessarily so, or chance it with the old one". I would like some advice if only to be more confident of making the right decision first time.

Thanks again.

5 hours ago, PeaJay said:

Thanks Simbol.

I think that at eighty seven I'm unlikely to switch to PD3.      Old dog ,  new tricks  !     What makes PD3 so much better than FSX ?

My only upgrade problem now is that I'm so unsure about my old CPU 's capability when paired with the new GTX 1070, that its really, "get a more up to date CPU maybe unnecessarily so, or chance it with the old one". I would like some advice if only to be more confident of making the right decision first time.

Thanks again.

Fair enough, you could go with the current CPU and run bench marking tools to check how fast your CPU can run it, some member here can offer then comparison values so you can decide if you need to upgrade your CPU later.

Regarding PD3, it is a very personal opinion so it is better if you research around, I personally find it mores stable, no more CTD due to memory issues, etc. the views are amazing and most developers are now ditching FSX entirely which is why I switched in the first place.

All the best,

Simbol