Sign in to follow this  
GrayGhostVA

FMC Runway Dis + GPS Left + GPS Warning

Hello all. I'm having a problem where when I turn the IRS's to NAV, as each one starts doing it's thing I get >FMC RUNWAY DIS, then >GPS LEFT, then >GPS pop up sequentially on the EICAS. I've tried to search for this issue but I get posts with either a problem displaying FMC Runway Dis or GPS, never all three. I'm hearing that it most likely is broken panel states, so I loaded the flight up in default and made my own panel states, but I still get these errors. I have updated my airac cycle, I've updated the nav database and magdec, I've tried loading up a panel state and literally turning the plane off and on again, but no dice. I'm running on Prepar3d v4. I'm hoping this is something I'm just stupidly doing wrong so I don't have to bother anyone making a support ticket.

-Sean Lewis

- Sean Lewis

Sean, please be more concise. You turn to NAV from what position?  What do you mean "starts doing its thing?"  Are they in the alignment cycle or have they aligned and you have set the lat/lon value. What is your power source (ground, apu, battery)?

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

Sean, please be more concise. You turn to NAV from what position?  What do you mean "starts doing its thing?"  Are they in the alignment cycle or have they aligned and you have set the lat/lon value. What is your power source (ground, apu, battery)?

Sorry, switching the IRS switches from Off to Nav, to begin the process of aligning. As soon as each IRS begins to align (IRS time to align +7 mins pops up on on the ND), I get the three warnings in succession. Have not yet even entered a position into the FMC. I haven't tested it yet with APU power but I've been on External power.

- Sean Lewis

Start a scenario with the default state (engines running, etc.) and turn off IRS for a minute then turn them back to NAV.  They should start the alignment cycle.  Do you get spurious warnings?  If not, time to look at what you are doing when you create your own panel state.

I routinely use my own panel states, 95% of the time it is one I labeled GAP (for ground air/power, for at the gate in turn state) or GAPSV (with service vehicles).  I've not seen a spurious warning as described.

Dan Downs KCRP

6 hours ago, downscc said:

Start a scenario with the default state (engines running, etc.) and turn off IRS for a minute then turn them back to NAV.  They should start the alignment cycle.  Do you get spurious warnings?  If not, time to look at what you are doing when you create your own panel state.

I routinely use my own panel states, 95% of the time it is one I labeled GAP (for ground air/power, for at the gate in turn state) or GAPSV (with service vehicles).  I've not seen a spurious warning as described.

All right so I started a flight in a default state, switched the IRS's off, waited a couple of seconds and turned them back on. The warnings still popped up like they have been. So this time I tried letting the IRS's align and I entered in the current GPS position, and when the IRS's aligned the warnings went away. Which brings me back to an earlier question I had that I was just doing something dumb, but is this supposed to happen normally? I've flown this aircraft for many many hours and I've never had this happen as far as I'm aware, is this something that was added in one of the recent updates?

- Sean Lewis

17 hours ago, GrayGhostVA said:

All right so I started a flight in a default state, switched the IRS's off, waited a couple of seconds and turned them back on. The warnings still popped up like they have been. So this time I tried letting the IRS's align and I entered in the current GPS position, and when the IRS's aligned the warnings went away. Which brings me back to an earlier question I had that I was just doing something dumb, but is this supposed to happen normally? I've flown this aircraft for many many hours and I've never had this happen as far as I'm aware, is this something that was added in one of the recent updates?

Ah, this is the first you mentioned that the warnings extinguish when the alignment is complete.  Yes, I don't see a problem here.  I just ran the same test with a default scenario, IRS off for 10 sec then put in NAV position.  I also see the warnings you mentioned plus a couple of yaw damper messages, all of which clear when alignment is complete.  It appears to be something new, probably the result of fixing a problem that prevented these warnings.  I don't see how this could be a problem if there is no inertial platform that other processes rely on results in those processes displaying warnings.  However, if you wish clarification that these spurious warnings are correct I recommend you ask the question on a trouble ticket (the only way to communication directly with PMDG is on a ticket).

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

51 minutes ago, downscc said:

Ah, this is the first you mentioned that the warnings extinguish when the alignment is complete.  Yes, I don't see a problem here.  I just ran the same test with a default scenario, IRS off for 10 sec then put in NAV position.  I also see the warnings you mentioned plus a couple of yaw damper messages, all of which clear when alignment is complete.  It appears to be something new, probably the result of fixing a problem that prevented these warnings.  I don't see how this could be a problem if there is no inertial platform that other processes rely on results in those processes displaying warnings.  However, if you wish clarification that these spurious warnings are correct I recommend you ask the question on a trouble ticket (the only way to communication directly with PMDG is on a ticket).

I hadn't thought until that time to let the IRS's align I had just assumed there was an issue and they wouldn't, but yeah if you get the same warnings then it must be how they are supposed to work, has something to do with the alignment process I'm sure. You're right ether PMDG fixed an issue or this was a late addition for better realism.

- Sean Lewis