Sign in to follow this  
ChrisDa

A quick Question.

Hi Steve,

Yesterday, 30 November, I bought the DX10 Fixer and the Clouds addon.  Both installed OK and working well. I am very pleased.

Running FSX and DX9 for years, I have used REX 4 with Soft clouds and used a water set that was close to reality, but the shallow water with coral has always been a very light blue, very unrealistic. I live right on the Great Barrier Reef in central Queensland so I know what it looks like. Actually, here, when the water gets shallow, it turns more a pale green / yellow with sand on the bottom.

I found another program, long time ago, FS Water Configurator, which allowed me to cut back on the bright light blue that was shown in the shallow water with coral, and I got to the stage where the colours were very realistic with good blending from light to dark blue.

Since I installed the DX10 Fixer, my shallow water has reverted back to the bright light blue again, so I ran the FSWC again, I know it messes with the shaders, and FSX got really screwed up !

I backed out of the mess and all is working again with DX10 and the Fixer.  The clouds are fantastic.

So, the question, is there away to use the FSWC to get my colours back or will I just have to live with it ?  I prefer to have the clouds, but it would be nice to have the water with the correct colours.

Thanks for your time and two wonderful products.

Chris.

Edited by ChrisDa
Fixed a Typo.

I am afraid that you cannot use FSWC with Cloud Shadows.   You can however use FSWClite with the fixer without Cloud Shadows - in this case you should uninstall the fixer libraries whilst installing FSWC and then reinstall - this will avoid any conflicts.  

The FSX water  that you see consist of a texture which is created in the FSX terrain engine running on the PC not the GPU. I assume that this has some knowledge of depths and thus blends together a composite texture out of the REX textures for land, sea and coral.  

The shaders receive the output of that and their job is then to blend in the (blue) sky reflection.   The max and min  sliders in the Fixer water dialog allow you to control this blending step. Adjusting these you should see the water darken and shift away from the blue - does this help?  I cannot see that FSWC can be doing much more than this as the light blue you see comes primarily from the coral texture.

The other approach is to alter the colour of the coral in Rex.  You can (depending on the REX version you have )adjust the colour via "plankton" from green to blue and change the brightness as well.

I suspect some careful combination of these adjustments (i.e recording where you started) may get you closer to what you want.

Hi Steve,

I had a fiddle with the water sliders and things are looking better.

The deep water is a little dark but the contrast between the dark blue and the shallow water is now not as pronounced.

I'll fiddle some more and see if I can improve it more but as it is, it is acceptable. Just have to start FSX each time which I did dozens of times this afternoon.

Thanks ever so much for your time.

Chris.

Hervey Bay.

Just follow up.  Bit late, I know, been too busy flying !

I got a hold of Rex Essentials, unticked all but Tropical Water in the options, changed the colour to what was my liking and installed the textures.

Now I have the shallow tropical waters looking the way they should.

Thanks Steve, love the "Fixer".

Chris... Hervey Bay.