Sign in to follow this  

Changing center of outside view from me to plane

I have setup all my on-board views for the Q400 (loving it!) and now I want to create some outside views. The default view puts me straight behind the Q400. First thing I noticed is that when I use the mouse to move around I only can pan left and right and look up and down from my current position. So I am in the center. What I want is the good old spot view behaviour where the plane is in the center, so that when I drag the mouse left and I right I rotate around the plane. If you know what I mean. Simple question: how can I get this done...? I can't figure it out.

As it is now I use the arrow keys to move left and right and up and down and then drag the mouse to keep the plane in view but obviously this is an awkward way of doing this: simply using the mouse would be a lot more convenient.

Jeroen,

Camera -> Advanced tab (far right), activate Track Aircraft and Enable Gimbal.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

2 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Jeroen,

Camera -> Advanced tab (far right), activate Track Aircraft and Enable Gimbal.

Thanks! I am curious to see what Gimbal does exactly... BTW Doesn't Track Aircraft also has consequences for the Onboard views? I will see if the manual says anything about it.

EDIT
Ah, ok. I did read this already: 
"Track Aircraft: In On-Board and Outside view modes, the camera can track the aircraft automatically when Track Aircraft is enabled." 
...but had no clue this was its use. :happy: I do wonder though how this works with the On-Board views. But I will see.

And Gimbal has to do with the horizon: I will also give that a try and see what happens!

For cockpit or inboard views you can not enable "track aircraft".

Furthermore, you can enable of disable "track aircraft" for every single preset you made.  The easiest way is to set up a button or keystroke for "toggle track aircraft", you can do that in preferences/control assignments ...

Then you switch "track aircraft" on or off to your needs.

Edited by headley
Typo

37 minutes ago, J van E said:

"Track Aircraft: In On-Board and Outside view modes, the camera can track the aircraft automatically when Track Aircraft is enabled." 

We fixed the mistake in the manual, it should read Outside and Static

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Ah, that clears it up then. :happy: Thanks everyone! 

Track aircraft works like a charm! But er... is it possible to reverse the up and down action of the mouse for the outside view....? It behaves opposite to what I am used to and want. :happy:

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Track aircraft works like a charm! But er... is it possible to reverse the up and down action of the mouse for the outside view....? It behaves opposite to what I am used to and want. :happy:

Preference > Camera you have 2 toggle for those

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

9 hours ago, Keven Menard said:

Preference > Camera you have 2 toggle for those

Hm, well, I will look once again then... :happy:

In the Mouse Controls section, they are called Inverse X/Y when Tracking Aircraft

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42