Sign in to follow this  
ggiddy soo

AFS2004 and AFCAD

Hi all,

I am facing a problem using AFCAD 2.21. I tried opening existing airports and all I got was AFCAD has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. How do I resolve this? I am not and IT expert. 

Many thanks. 

You could try reinstalling it but quite frankly it is such an old piece of software that it can do more harm than good when editing airports.

Suggested alternatives:
AFX - costs money but is very similar to AFCAD in use
ADE - free, but works quite differently and has a steep learning curve

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I also am considering to buy AFX to adjust gate assigments. Alot of my payware sceneries have old afcads with gate assigments for airlines which dont exist anymore (like US Airways) 

Is AFX the best program to do this? Or are there any other ways to fix these errors? 

I always would recommend the freeware ADE. I don't know AFX for a comparison, but the possibilities of ADE are enormous compared with AFD. It has a steeper learning curve, indeed, but its possibilities let one get deeper into scenery design.

Bert, of course you can also change gate assignments with ADE, but I guess if you will use this tool, you will find opportunities to do more.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

18 minutes ago, HaraldG said:

I always would recommend the freeware ADE. I don't know AFX for a comparison, but the possibilities of ADE are enormous compared with AFD. It has a steeper learning curve, indeed, but its possibilities let one get deeper into scenery design.

Bert, of course you can also change gate assignments with ADE, but I guess if you will use this tool, you will find opportunities to do more.

The other thing to remember is that you risk eliminating features from the airport file if you open in with AFCAD or AFX when it was created in the first place with ADE.

2 hours ago, gaputz said:

The other thing to remember is that you risk eliminating features from the airport file if you open in with AFCAD or AFX when it was created in the first place with ADE.

That's not at all true as far as AFX is concerned. It will warn you of that possibility and give you the opportunity to save the file in a manner that will not affect any features it doesn't deal with itself without losing them.

4 hours ago, meesterlijk said:

I also am considering to buy AFX to adjust gate assigments. Alot of my payware sceneries have old afcads with gate assigments for airlines which dont exist anymore (like US Airways) 

Is AFX the best program to do this? Or are there any other ways to fix these errors? 

I would say AFX would be good for this kind of thing as it does it just like you would be used to doing with AFCAD2. You would barely notice the difference.

My own view is that ADE is more suited to greater projects, such as remodelling whole airports. It is ideal if you want to place buildings etc. It will also do the little jobs of course, but its a more long-winded process.

John

1 hour ago, John Hinson said:

That's not at all true as far as AFX is concerned. It will warn you of that possibility and give you the opportunity to save the file in a manner that will not affect any features it doesn't deal with itself without losing them.

I did not know AFX gives a warning.  Good feature.      

ADE all the way for me. I use it almost daily for fixing Afcads...... and they ALL need fixing.  (None of which includes remodelling whole airports) :biggrin:

So if I understand you all correctly I can change Afcads made by various type of programs  with this program called AFX? 

Yesterday I tried Afcad2 and changed the FlyTampa Boston afcad. There were a lot of empty gates that used to be filled by US Airways. Since the merger the airline code has changed to AAL so these gates remain empty.

I changed the Afcad and it worked! I was very happy and I moved on to KMCO where the American Airlines planes were standing at cargo spots at the edge of the airport. I tried Afcad2 but then I found out that it wouldnt work. It is some different program or whatever. It is something I need to learn I think. (And thats the beauty of fs9. For me there are still a lot of easter eggs in fs9 that I dont understand and the ongoing movement to P3D forces me to do adjustments that used to be fixed by developers.)

I noticed that more developers were using different programmes to make Afcads (fsdreamteam is using something I dont know) so I need a program that can change them all. 

So back to my main question: can afx adjust gates within afcads that are made by a variaty of programmes? 

38 minutes ago, edetroit said:

ADE all the way for me. I use it almost daily for fixing Afcads...... and they ALL need fixing.  (None of which includes remodelling whole airports) :biggrin:

I also downloaded ADE. How difficult is this to adjust the afcads? Someone said it has a steep learning curve. 

3 hours ago, meesterlijk said:

So back to my main question: can afx adjust gates within afcads that are made by a variaty of programmes? 

I have never come across anything it can't.

I suggest you try ADE first as it is free - if you find it over-complicated then AFX is for you. It is a shame you can't download a trial version as I am sure most people don't realise easy it is to work with. (Or are too mean to open their wallets!).

John

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John Hinson said:

(Or are too mean to open their wallets!).

I was a little bit too friendly for my wallet according fs9 the last months. I expanded my real estate with two airports lately. ;-) 

It works well with Afcad2. I adjusted Boston and o’Hare but I just came up with a strange thing trying to adjust the FSDT lax afcad.

I made the changes and saved it but all of a sudden the old (I think stock) airport emerges between the fsdt buildings. The aircraft are alligned wth the fsdt gate lines but they are standing inside the other buildings.

Do you guys have any clue why this happens?