Sign in to follow this  
JIMJAM

P3DV3 TO P3DV4 QUESTION....

Have p3dv3 with a couple grand $$$ in addons including all the Orbyx,Activesky,Rex, 40+ aircraft etc... My plan is to leave V3 on my drive and I just installed v4. Then piece by piece get it all loaded in V4 and then DELETE v3. I tried to read the TIPS/TRICKS but its as confusing and unorganized as upside down Chinese calculus on mushrooms.

Question.... Is it best to just NUKE V3 and then reload each Orbyx and all the updated to V4 progs? My 1st indication my idea is bad is Orbyx is already installed in V3 so its "CENTRAL" shows I already bought and installed it.

If this has been ask 5000 times I apologise and if so lead me to some post or a "How to" that someone who is recovering from 2 back surgeries and enough meds to kill Ozzie and Keith Richards can understand. Done this more time that I care to count with FS9/FSX etc but this is different. Thanks..

As v4 (v4.1) is a 64-bit program, you can NOT copy/paste add-ons from v3.x to v4.x, you have to re-download or i some cases (PMDG) re-buy your addons and reinstall the 64-bit versions. ORBX add-ons are FREE for v4.x if you have them for v3.x. On the ORBX-forum there are very good  postings about how to do this the easiest way.

Jack

the Swede in Spain.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JIMJAM said:

Have p3dv3 with a couple grand $$$ in addons including all the Orbyx,Activesky,Rex, 40+ aircraft etc... My plan is to leave V3 on my drive and I just installed v4. Then piece by piece get it all loaded in V4 and then DELETE v3. I tried to read the TIPS/TRICKS but its as confusing and unorganized as upside down Chinese calculus on mushrooms.

Question.... Is it best to just NUKE V3 and then reload each Orbyx and all the updated to V4 progs? My 1st indication my idea is bad is Orbyx is already installed in V3 so its "CENTRAL" shows I already bought and installed it.

If this has been ask 5000 times I apologise and if so lead me to some post or a "How to" that someone who is recovering from 2 back surgeries and enough meds to kill Ozzie and Keith Richards can understand. Done this more time that I care to count with FS9/FSX etc but this is different. Thanks..

Reinstallations and patches were the reason I waited so long to swtich to P3D4.  There's a lot of stuff compatible now, but you have to research how.  Do they have a new installer?  Do they have a patch?  Where? You probably, for the most part, don't want to copy/paste much, even though I've done it for some sceneries (simpler ones).  It can have side-effects inside your sim that can be hard to debug...crashes, frame-rate issues, etc.  I certainly wouldn't do it for Aerosoft, UK2000, ORBX, FlyTampa, FSDreamTeam or FlightBeam.  Also, if the sceneries have any special effects or custom airport traffic, I'd get the full installer and patch, if available.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Don't delete v3 until you have installed all the ORBX scenery into v4. FTXCentral will use 90+ percent of the v3 files when installing v4. You'll save a lot of time and bandwidth as FTXCentral will only download the differences needed for v4..........Doug

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I downloaded another ftxcentral and used it. Otherwise, using the one thats already there for V3 shows purchased and already installed. It "APPEARS" to be working as I have installed most and they seem to be there.

Setting the views is a pita but I have categories set/ prev and next. Problem is I CANNOT set forward 3d cockpit view ??? In v3, on the stick I could no matter what the view hit a key bound to forward 3d view iirc and it snaps to that critical view. However, now if I am in any other view and hit that button nothing happens. BTW Using trackir if that matters.

I would rather walk across broken Christmas ornaments bare foot, check my mail only to find out I was having a IRS audit than do that again. Total time + tweaking, reconfig the HOTAS etc was 8 hrs. I did a LOT of house keeping and decided not to load the Orbyx  Pacific North East area and about $300 in airports up there. Also said bye bye to about 25 dusty FSX/V3 planes/helis with hanger rash. To bad you can't sell used planes I would be rich...

Still a few issues. The menus are chopped off at the bottom and I still cannot map a key to quickly jump back to the forward view vc.  That said, on my very high end system the fps is aprox 5-10 fps better, a lot smoother and less draw in. Never had memory issues. Was it worth it. Oh hell yeah.......

• Upvote 1

Hi JimJam

Maybe too late for you but I put another hard disc in to the computer and kept my P3Dv3.4 setup and started again on the new disc with P3Dv4.1

Hard discs are relatively cheap

P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 do “see “each other in unknown ways but all seems to work fine 

Can fly in both and am slowly moving over to P3Dv4 as it develops.

FSX Central controls them both with no problems

xxd09

• Upvote 1

I still have v3 installed. Kinda nervous because I stuck with REX 3 for the clouds and that is a lot of gigs. Its running and looking great so I am going to leave well enough alone. Other than V4 I did not have to spend any money other than a reduced charge for v4 active sky. Currently deleting old planes from V3 to save space. 

For some reason V4's menus are chopped off at the bottom. I have been trying to find a solution but cannot. Running  3840/2160.

Also I need to find and educate myself on the differences other than 64 bit of v3 vs v4 and see what the current tweeks are. As is I am running most WAO and its smooth. i7/6700k at 4.8, 1080ti, ssd and w10 on a 36 inch 4k Sony.

JIMJAM,

If you haven't already found this site, check it out...it's a pretty comprehensive list of everything compatible/updated etc. for P3Dv4.

http://www.theskylounge.tv/topic/5106-the-ultimate-p3d-v4-add-on-update-compatibility-list/

I jumped on v4 pretty early after release, but left v3.4 in place so I could fly some aircraft that weren't updated for v4. Most stuff that's been updated has new installers, and much of it is free upgrade. PMDG, Majestic Q400 and most other study level aircraft will cost $$, some more than others. Most scenery updates were free. Some utilities addons, like Active Sky, Ezdok, ChasePlane, FSUIPC, were free, a couple others $$.

Personally, I found going to v4 reasonably painless, but YMMV.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Just to be clear here since it's been said otherwise, you do NOT need to repurchase PMDG aircraft when going from v3 to v4.

No longer into the airliners but once was and spent my share with them.

The only planes I have had problems with are all Carenado despite being called V4. In 2 of the more recent jets the AP is all over the place and refuses to hold altitude or climb,descend as commanded. Also the A2A 182, again called V4 flies horribly and does some really strange things. I turned off upper winds, turb, downdrafts etc in ActiveSky no joy. Really tired of it so time to walk away but at least I got V4 installed.

4 hours ago, Chaos81 said:

Just to be clear here since it's been said otherwise, you do NOT need to repurchase PMDG aircraft when going from v3 to v4.

Sorry but you are wrong, PMDG-products for v3 does not work in v4. You have to buy new versions.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

At least there are no "loot boxes" and pay to win that I am aware of. We have DLC but at least it is not as bad as AAA gaming where we could be paying for at 1st different skins, avionics then later extra HP, increased altitude, tie down and hanger spots and landing fees. Maybe cards you purchase loaded with fuel credits. Shhhhh I better not give any ideas.....

7 hours ago, JJJackson said:

Sorry but you are wrong, PMDG-products for v3 does not work in v4. You have to buy new versions.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

You're probably thinking of the FSX > P3D upgrade path which is not being discussed here. When upgrading P3D versions (v3 to v4), there is no additional purchase. The same PMDG installer installs into both P3D v3 and P3D v4.

The below is directly from PMDG product page (Emphasis mine):

This is compatible only with Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D. (v3 and v4)

http://precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/P3D/744QOTSII.html

Chaos81. Seems I must have been extremely unlucky. I bought my PMDG.products in 2015 for P3D v3. When v4 was released i tried to install them but of course they didn´t have an installer for v4. When PMDG announced that they had released a version for v4 I downloaded the add-ons again from my account but still no installer for v4. I waited a week and downloaded again, but no istaller for v4. Also I couldn´t find any updates from v3 to v4. Waited another week but still no installer for v4 in the downloads on in my account. So only solution for me was to repurchase the products and in the NEW downloads added to my account there were installers for both v3 and v4. It might have worked for you but not for me. I was only referring to my own experience. 

Jack

the Swede in Spain