Sign in to follow this  

First flight

No no, not my very first flight, of course, but I just did my very first flight with all my new goodies combined. And boy, it was great! But boy, it's also almost like having a job! Before I even got started I had to load TrackIR, ASN, ProATC/X, PFPX and the Q400 control panel. I then had to create the flightplan with ProATX, copy that into PFPX (after having also set up a flightplan in that one) and then I had to enter the data from the OFP to the Q400 control panel. Then I started P3D and with it also came UTL, ChasePlane and GSX. After loading the plane I had to (a.o.) transfer the data from the control panel to the plane AND I had to manually enter the date from the control panel into the FMS. After that I had to enter the plan from ProATC into the FMS. Then I had to 'control' ProATC but also GSX and sometimes Chaseplane. Well... it's nothing strange of course but boy, I am not used to having to use so many programs (10!) at one time! I am alt-tabbing more than I am flying! And during the flight I also loaded Plan-G to quickly see what the course of the assigned landing runway was! As I said, it's like having a job! But I have to say, it is a very nice job! :happy:

Anyway, I am very happy with all my new goodies but you really need to have the time for it all: even the short hop I just did (from ENCN to ENBR) took me 2 hours all in all! Obviously I am still learning things (not the plane itself but combining all the addons) so after some time things will go quicker but it's not something you can do when you have a few spare minutes.

Thanks to everyone who assisted me during the last two (rather frantic) weeks when I had a lot of newbie questions and insecurities... :happy: Your help is much appreciated! And now I am going to read everything there is to read about the FMS because I want to learn all the ins and outs of this plane.

Happy for you J :biggrin:

Q to you own an iPad?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

48 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Q to you own an iPad?

Luckily I do already otherwise you probably would have talked me into buying one... :cool::laugh: Why?

Therein lies the difference between a job and a hobby. If any of that routine was remotely connected to fixing something in the house, it just wouldn't get done.

• Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Luckily I do already otherwise you probably would have talked me into buying one... :cool::laugh: Why?

lol :laugh::laugh:

I would then suggest you have a look at https://www.navigraph.com/fmsdatamanualinstall.aspx .

It's £9 a month but you can keep you PROATC/PFPX/Q400 all upto date with the latest data and also using the same data. What is amazing is there ipad app.  Also if you don't want it for a month you just stop it.

You enter a new route and call it what you like and it's stored online. So you can do this with their desktop version as you get the route from PFPX. When you open your iPad it will be there in the app. 

It gives you every chart for every airport there is....but also you get a moving map of your flight. It even works at the airport so in bigger airports you can watch/help yourself navigate around the airport.

Its fantastic and for the price of two Peroni beers another must have. :biggrin: You don't want to be ALT Tabbing out of the sim. Not good. Once you're in that should be it, your in.

BTW if you DL a free program called this http://www.bullzip.com/ you can "print" your PFPX flightplans as a PDF and email that to yourself and put that on your ipad also.

vid of the beta. Old but you get the idear. Its better than this now like I said its old vid.

So after all that you will have all your flight planing on a PDF and all charts and moving maps all on your iPad. Simple!

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Wow, glad all that pre-flight setting up works for you.  For me, that would be just good ol' WORK, ha!  Too much for me.  I need to up in the clear blue under 5 min. to forget my troubles. :)

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

1 minute ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Wow, glad all that pre-flight setting up works for you.  For me, that would be just good ol' WORK, ha!  Too much for me.  I need to up in the clear blue under 5 min. to forget my troubles. :)

The preflight/planning can be great fun and the flight then is the execution. 

Just now, Nyxx said:

The preflight/planning can be great fun and the flight then is the execution. 

I'm in total agreement. There are times when I just jump in the Corsair or T6 and takeoff and enjoy flying around but other times, especially with the Q400, it is fun to go through the steps I used to do IRL.

I second the Navigraph info although I use it on an android - :biggrin: but it is very handy - and I run with two monitors also.

@Jeroen - to save a step - if you hover the mouse over the destination airport in ActiveSky - it will show you the runways in use. Saves having to load another program. :biggrin:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I load the PMDG 737 NGX and 747-400 with all systems initialised, setup the aircraft/load flightplans into the FMC (manually; not from an external source), and then save the flight for a later date. Like Clutch Cargo has indicated, I want to be ready for pushback when I start my flights.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thats what i love about AeroFly FS2 and even, X-Plane 11. Only one app open... the sim! :D

Cheers :)

N.-

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I would then suggest you have a look at https://www.navigraph.com/fmsdatamanualinstall.aspx .

Aaaah, yes, I know that one. :happy: Well, I've heard of it and saw some video's. I do have a subscription for one month right now because I (obviously) had to bring all my addons on the same level (Q400, ProATC, PFPX, ASN). I thought about giving the app a try while I am at it for a month but I was afraid I might like it too much LOL 10 bucks for a month does sound okay but things do add up (Netflix, Spotify, etc.) and I don't really feel like spending 120 dollars every year for this... But well, I will give it a try anyway.

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I'm in total agreement. There are times when I just jump in the Corsair or T6 and takeoff and enjoy flying around but other times, especially with the Q400, it is fun to go through the steps I used to do IRL.

This. I also sometimes like to simply FLY and never really liked all this preparation stuff. When I was using the Airbus I always used the turn around state and at some time I might use a similer state for the Q400 but if I have the time for it I like to do things from A to Z and as real as possible. It also depends on how you look at it: in the past I looked at preparation as a useless time consuming stay in the way because I just wanted to fly but right now I look at it as a 'game' of its own: it's actually big fun if you look at it this way! You don't HAVE to do all that work everytime: the choice is yours! :happy:

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

@Jeroen - to save a step - if you hover the mouse over the destination airport in ActiveSky - it will show you the runways in use. Saves having to load another program. :biggrin:

Thanks, but I used Plan-G to figure out the course of the runway. Obviously Navigraph will work even better. :happy:

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Like Clutch Cargo has indicated, I want to be ready for pushback when I start my flights.

So do I sometimes. But now now!!!!!! :biggrin:

2 hours ago, neucoas said:

Thats what i love about AeroFly FS2 and even, X-Plane 11. Only one app open... the sim! :D

I also own Aerofly FS 2 and yes, it's a great sim: it made me buy the Mejastic Q400 LOL because I liked their version so much! But look at what it is lacking... it will need a lot of addon apps to get really interesting: it will take quite a few years before it will be on the same level as P3D (with addons, that is). Obviously I'd also like to have everything in one app: I didn't say I like it, on the contrary! But well, this is what it takes to have such a great and immersive experience.

One day, I will start a flight from cold and dark. Maybe after I have won the lottery, and I have all the time in the world :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You also need LINDA and the Q400 profile for complete mapping of the AP and some of the most critical AP modes to have them at your fingertips (NAV at 400ft, AP engage, AP disconnect etc). :)

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

9 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

You also need LINDA and the Q400 profile for complete mapping of the AP and some of the most critical AP modes to have them at your fingertips (NAV at 400ft, AP engage, AP disconnect etc). :)

I personally like to do as much as I can in the VC. I use controllers for steering, aileron, aileron trim, elevator, rudder and throttle. Everything else I like to do with my 'hand' in the cockpit. :happy:

29 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

One day, I will start a flight from cold and dark. Maybe after I have won the lottery, and I have all the time in the world :wink:

Haha, well, yes, I can't do flights like I do now every day. I save them for the weekend and the odd evening. But that's okay, that keeps it special. :happy: