Sign in to follow this  
ClaytonYosten

Which graphics card selection?

So I use FSX:SE and I was looking through the settings today and dropped down the device tab. The default selection is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.0.0 but there are two more selections. Should I use a different one? Does anyone know why it does this?

I do have 3 monitors if that does anything.

Picture

rEPdD3i.jpg

spacer.png

Clayton,

If you have three monitors, you are able to set the monitor resolutions for each monitor.

For the first setting (0) I assign resolutions for my main screen, for 1 I use to set the next monitor resolutions settings and 2 for the third monitor.  These are all 1080p. If you get another GPU you will find those settings duplicated and again you can assign further monitors as above. I have two GPUs (1080ti and a 1050ti and use them with 6 monitors. In P3D they show up in settings/display/hardware as the 1080ti and the 1050ti and I am able to assign monitors as stated, Basically, if you have three monitors and they are all different resolutions you can fine tune your system to the individual resolutions as applicable.

In FS2004, which is my preferred sim platform, It only shows three x outputs for the 1080ti (0,1,2) but only one for the 1050ti which is labelled 3. I have three monitors connected to that and all are different resolutions so I picked the middle resolution (1080 x 1920) and that works very well for me. I am unsure how this would work if you attach more than three monitors to a GPU (ie) do you see 0,1,2,3,4,5 etc as I have never had more than three attached to a single GPU. I have never Crossfired (AMD) or SLI'd (Nvidia) either so I can not help you with that one if you are contemplating a move in that direction.

I hope that clarifies things a little for you.

Cheers

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Clayton,

If you have three monitors, you are able to set the monitor resolutions for each monitor.

For the first setting (0) I assign resolutions for my main screen, for 1 I use to set the next monitor resolutions settings and 2 for the third monitor.  These are all 1080p. If you get another GPU you will find those settings duplicated and again you can assign further monitors as above. I have two GPUs (1080ti and a 1050ti and use them with 6 monitors. In P3D they show up in settings/display/hardware as the 1080ti and the 1050ti and I am able to assign monitors as stated, Basically, if you have three monitors and they are all different resolutions you can fine tune your system to the individual resolutions as applicable.

In FS2004, which is my preferred sim platform, It only shows three x outputs for the 1080ti (0,1,2) but only one for the 1050ti which is labelled 3. I have three monitors connected to that and all are different resolutions so I picked the middle resolution (1080 x 1920) and that works very well for me. I am unsure how this would work if you attach more than three monitors to a GPU (ie) do you see 0,1,2,3,4,5 etc as I have never had more than three attached to a single GPU. I have never Crossfired (AMD) or SLI'd (Nvidia) either so I can not help you with that one if you are contemplating a move in that direction.

I hope that clarifies things a little for you.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks a lot! I thought it might have to do with the resolutions and I guess that is true. I am actually interested in your GPU use. Did you just put both cards in and run them or did you have to set up some additional settings?

spacer.png

Clayton

Very easy,

1. Install Card .... 1080ti,

2. connect the monitors. Turn on computer,

3. download drivers and install (after the drivers are installed the computer will automatically detect the screens connected to the GPU. Screen will go dark several times etc but will settle down  and you can then,

4. use either NVidia control panel or screen resolution to configure the monitors ... Place close together (touching) in order to track from one to one another with the mouse.

In my case I installed both the 1080ti and 1050ti (I believe the drivers are the same) and followed 2 to 4.

My monitors are a mixture of resolutions and also a mixture of landscape and portrait modes so yes, there was a little extra configuring but all very logical and easy.

Just let me know, either here or by PM if you need any additional help. If you look at my avatar you can get an idea of how my setup is configured.

Regardless, I would remind you that you will require a supercomputer to use more than three monitors with FSX or, indeed, any platform other than FS2004. Each and every monitor you configure and "USE" will make a huge hit on Frame Rates. You can in reality, connect 30 monitors with no impact on FPS.  However, undocking anything to an additional screen will affect your performance. Hence my preference for FS2004. I am averaging above 30FPS using 6 screens and to my knowledge this is impossible on the other platforms.

Good luck mate. and let us knopw how you get on.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.