Sign in to follow this  
n99wb

Cold and Dark Start

A set of thrusters aboard the Voyager 1 spacecraft successfully fired up Wednesday after 37 years without use.

Voyager 1, NASA's farthest and fastest spacecraft, is the only human-made object in interstellar space, the environment between the stars.

cold and dark start

• Upvote 1

I read that yesterday and am amazed the two Voyagers are still functioning and calling home on a regular basis.

Gary Stewart

What amazes me is the fact that 1977 technology was able to design a power system that has lasted all these decades! While within our solar system, some recharging of onboard batteries could occur even with the primitive solar cells that 1977 tech allowed.

But now, with Voyager 1 well into interstellar space, where is the energy coming from for those solar cells?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

15 minutes ago, n4gix said:

.....where is the energy coming from for those solar cells?

Aliens doing drive-bys with their headlights on full beam :tongue: :biggrin:

Sorry Fr. 

• Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

"Fascinating"
             -Commander Spock

20 hours ago, n4gix said:

What amazes me is the fact that 1977 technology was able to design a power system that has lasted all these decades! While within our solar system, some recharging of onboard batteries could occur even with the primitive solar cells that 1977 tech allowed.

But now, with Voyager 1 well into interstellar space, where is the energy coming from for those solar cells?

They use an on board nuclear power source, this reference from the Jet Propulsion laboratory:  https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/spacecraft/

• Upvote 1

Gary Stewart

20 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Aliens doing drive-bys with their headlights on full beam :tongue: :biggrin:

That's why aliens have never come to visit us, they scanned the spacecraft's memory banks, and being those are from 1977, they think we're all into orange and brown paisley wallpaper, flared trousers, tank tops and disco music.

Would you go to a planet where these were the cool things to be into to?

That's where that Star Trek movie got it all wrong, the aliens who found 'V'Ger' should have been communicating with Kirk like this:

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, CW46 said:

They use an on board nuclear power source, this reference from the Jet Propulsion laboratory:  https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/spacecraft/

Ah, that explains everything. Odd that the development of Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators seems to have stalled out. Imagine having one powering your flight sim computer! :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

Could save a bit on heating the house too! It worked for Matt Damon (The Martian)..

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Ah, "The Martian" is one of the (many) movies I've missed over the years. :dry:

Fr. Bill    

Not seen it myself yet, but I've read the book :cool:

Mark Robinson