Sign in to follow this  
SO666

PMDG DC-6A into BIIS isafjordur airport

Hi.

The other day while trying to find info on DC-6 aircraft , i came across two videos , one was the restoration by red bull , one was of iceland air dc-3 dc-6 and viscount aircraft in 1966 , and showed arrival departures at an airport called isafjordur , icao code BIIS , this airport is in FSX it is a difficult approach into 08 , and you need to depart in the oposite direction due to mountains .

I have managed to get the C47 of manfred jahns and the PMDG DC-6A in and out of this airport , it is not easy , give it a go and see for your selves.

regards Alan Cottrill.

• Upvote 1

Alan Cottrill.

2 hours ago, SO666 said:

C47 of manfred jahns

I've been hearing about this add on a lot lately. I am going to have to se if I can pick this up.

Vic green

3 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I've been hearing about this add on a lot lately. I am going to have to se if I can pick this up.

The Manfred Jahn C47/DC3 is a great airplane.

I have the Beta V3.14, which I think is the latest.  You can get it at Sim Outhouse, and there are several repaints available at many of the flightsim sites. Make sure you get the Doug Dawson 64 bit sound gauge.

• Upvote 1

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Can't say enough good about the Manfred Jahn & Team C-47.  I'm actually spending most of my sim time in it these days.  C-47-style flying (low, slow, short hops) suits my schedule better in a lot of respects than the DC-6 or the A2A Connie.

Plus, there's just something about it... 

Not sure if you guys are aware, but the flight dynamics for the C-47 were created by Alexander Metzger, who's of course responsible for the FSX and P3D versions of the DC-6.  The C-47 has the same sense of mass and inertia but feels different - as it should, of course.  It tends to wallow a bit in a breeze and wander off altitude, just like the real-life version.  On the other hand, it consistently gives me my best landings.

Because it's an ongoing beta and because the Sim Outhouse library structure can be difficult to work with, the files can be hard to track down. This post on the A2A forums lists all the files you'll need.

@Vic - if you really find yourself getting into pistons and want something exotic, be sure to check out Alexander's next project - a lovely looking, about-to-be released Antonov AN-2.  You can check it out in the Aerosoft preview forums.  It looks like it'll surpass the (wonderful in its own right) Sibwings version, also with Alexander's FDE.  You haven't lived 'til you've wrestled it thorough a startup, chugged over the landscape, then landed it in  less than a hundred feet of runway.  Or had an engine failure, pulled the stick all the way back, and mushed it down at 35 knots because it absolutely, positively will not stall.

Check it out!

Hope PMDG doesn't object to my outside links - I plead guilty, and ask the mercy of the court because us piston guys have to stick together...  :cool:

• Upvote 3

Regarding BIIS and other Icelandic airfields, if I may be permitted to post this link to the Iceland Revisited freeware scenery.

http://www.simflight.com/2014/07/01/freeware-iceland-revisited/

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks a lot for the information! I would love to have one of the bigger twin props such as the Martin 404 or one of the Convair's. A lot of child hood memories in those.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

I had the C47/DC3 in Fsx, I'm very happy to have her now again in P3Dv4.1 ! Great Addon !:gaul:

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

4 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I would love to have one of the bigger twin props such as the Martin 404 or one of the Convair's.

That's a big missing piece of the flightsim world.  They come up from time to time on A2A forum wishlists, but I doubt either of them would ever make it into their development schedule.  Maybe somebody else will take one or another of them on .  I'd be right at the head of the line on release day.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Because it's an ongoing beta and because the Sim Outhouse library structure can be difficult to work with, the files can be hard to track down. This post on the A2A forums lists all the files you'll need

Got her! Sweet. I can't believe this is freeware!

Vic green

4 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

I can't believe this is freeware!

A lot of us feel the same way.

I just realized that the A2A forum post doesn't include a link to the Doug Dowson 64-bit sound gauge. You'll need that if you're in P3D v4, otherwise you won't get any cockpit sounds.  

Here's a link to the file.  In addition, you'll want to check out Nick Cooper's follow-up post (#3) for instructions about how to rename it for the C-47.

By all means, enjoy it!

In other news, it looks like the Aerosoft An-2 will be out any day now - there's a video up on their preview forums, and they say they're at the point of testing installers.

Good times for pistons.

Thanks. I'm on FSX and everything works great. Be good if there was some airline paints but she a beauty as is. I picked up the ORBYX EU LC and plan on flying some Berlin Airlift routes to Templehoff. Probably spelled that wrong?😶

Vic green

Search the freeware file sites for Manfred Jahn and you will find a great number of airline paints for the C-47. The V2 ones will work with V3 Beta.

Robert Toten

The v2 paints do work nicely in v3.  Some users have commented about fit problems around the nose but I've yet to see this myself.  All you have to do is alter some entries in the aircraft.cfg for the v2 paints - use the default ones as a guide.

Good luck on your Vittles missions!

8 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

Search the freeware file sites for Manfred Jahn and you will find a great number of airline paints for the C-47. The V2 ones will work with V3 Beta.

Robert Toten

5 hours ago, Alan_A said:

The v2 paints do work nicely in v3.  Some users have commented about fit problems around the nose but I've yet to see this myself.  All you have to do is alter some entries in the aircraft.cfg for the v2 paints - use the default ones as a guide.

Good luck on your Vittles missions!

Thanks for the help guys.

Vic green

And here I was simply going to post my thanks to Alan for the BIIS tip, as I had tried a flight in the DC-6 and had a lot of fun.

But, here I find a trove of information on a C-47/DC-3 by Manfred Jahn that works in P3D v4.1!!

Like many of you, I also enjoy a "low-and-slow-road-to-railway-vor-to-vor" flight every so often. This airplane will add to my piston fleet and its entertainment.

Thank you all for the tips and, thank you Kyle and PMDG for allowing this post to continue.

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada