Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

How important is 1080Ti for a new build P3D v4

Just looking at a new build cost and the cost of the 1080Ti is over $1000 CDN.  Totally nuts.  Just wondering how important it is vs. the regular 1080 ?  And given that new Nvidia cards are about to launch are we all better off waiting knowing the price will drop when these new cards come to market?

thanks.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I'll just say I'm quite happy with my 970.  It's smoother in P3D4 than 3.4 by a good bit.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've read somewhere that the regular 1080 (which I bought recently) does a very good job of rendering P3Dv4 without hassle and a good amount of detail.

However if you want to go the VR route, the Ti is the way to go.

That's what I've heard anyway

Mathieu Souphy

What resolution do you plan on running?

That's a determining factor.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

34 minutes ago, tjeuten said:

I've read somewhere that the regular 1080 (which I bought recently) does a very good job of rendering P3Dv4 without hassle and a good amount of detail.

However if you want to go the VR route, the Ti is the way to go.

That's what I've heard anyway

I'm running 4k @ 50-100FPS with regular 1080. Have Active Sky for P3D, ASCA. I have autogen settings on high but not all the way to the right.

1 hour ago, ahsmatt7 said:

What resolution do you plan on running?

That's a determining factor.

Well just regular 27" screen to start but want to future proof if I go to a larger 4K tv. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

970 was totally sufficient for 4k no DL.

4k with DL, 1080ti now works good (fsl a320 is still rather heavy when lit like xmas tree but pretty good now).

for me, DL forced my hand...

• Upvote 1

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Guest JustanotherPilot

I'm happy with my GTX 1060 in P3Dv4 @ 2560 x1440

36 minutes ago, kdfw__ said:

970 was totally sufficient for 4k no DL.

4k with DL, 1080ti now works good (fsl a320 is still rather heavy when lit like xmas tree but pretty good now).

Exactly the same, except I moved up from a 1070 GTX for the same reasoning.

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

Well just regular 27" screen to start but want to future proof if I go to a larger 4K tv. 

I had a 970 last year running on 4k and it didn't handle 4k all that great on p3d v3.

I upgraded to a 1080 ti and 4k ran just like 1080p.

As for p3d v4....the 1080ti is wonderful on 4k. Dynamic lighting does bring my performance down at some airports while at others, there isn't any performance hit at all. YMMV.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

One additional thing, with the 1080 TI I can use the setting TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. I know, it was said that is not such a big difference with it but still, I am using it :D (is just perhaps a perception on my side that it is nicer). GPU memory used, over 8GB, so over what a 1080 can do. But for that for sure, is not an argument to buy the TI. And to get smoother fps, value 9 is enough, I will probably revert it back.

Regarding DL, even a 1080TI struggles with it and can stay at 99-100%...Still waiting for that day when LM will improve that

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD for P3D v4.5

14 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

970 was totally sufficient for 4k no DL.

Knock Knock ! DL ??? I must have forgotten a pill this morning! Thanks, JJ

4 hours ago, Jean-Jacques said:

Knock Knock ! DL ??? I must have forgotten a pill this morning! Thanks, JJ

DL = Dynamic Lighting

Bert