Sign in to follow this  
Steve 707

Microsoft Releases KB4051963

24 minutes ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Well here's the thing...... I think I have solved the issue now with the 'child window / unsupported operation' errors after I uninstalled the DX10 scenery fixer and cloud shadows, however now apart from having ugly yesteryear graphics, all my aircraft now have their left aileron up and the right aileron down so as soon as I take off the aircraft will veer to the left straight into the nearest building :laugh: I have reset all the controls to default and this is happening with my flight stick and my xbox pad so I am going to uninstall all the add-ons and my FSX installation and re-download a fresh copy, if I still have issues after that then I am going to treat myself to  Prepar3D professional for xmas (early). 

I am totally with you as far as P3D v4.1 goes, in two weeks it's mine. I will still keep FSX-SE as it is hard to just give it up after 25 years of MSFS I just can't dump it. But one realizes that we are in the 64 bit world now and FSX just is not there anymore. My FSW and my X-Plane 11 demo never had any issue during the Windows version 1709 problems.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

31 minutes ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Well here's the thing...... I think I have solved the issue now with the 'child window / unsupported operation' errors after I uninstalled the DX10 scenery fixer and cloud shadows, however now apart from having ugly yesteryear graphics, all my aircraft now have their left aileron up and the right aileron down so as soon as I take off the aircraft will veer to the left straight into the nearest building :laugh: I have reset all the controls to default and this is happening with my flight stick and my xbox pad so I am going to uninstall all the add-ons and my FSX installation and re-download a fresh copy, if I still have issues after that then I am going to treat myself to  Prepar3D professional for xmas (early). 

During my quick testing this AM before going to the golf course using Carenado aircraft that created the unsupported operation 100% of the time, I did not get the errors after trying really hard.  This evening I loaded the PMDG 737 and got the unsupported operation error when clicking on Options>Display only.  When I click okay when I see the error, the sim continues but it will not allow me to open up the Display settings.  This is new as the sim crashed if I did that.  I can open every other menu item and not get the error.  I can even have the 737 increased in time to 4X's.  So it is better but it's not fixed completely.

I think the fact Windows 10 will not allow the Display settings to be shown (i.e., the fsx.cfg) via the FSX Menu Options>Display, might indicate a sharing violation.  I do have FSX set to load with Administrative privileges. 

So it looks like you were right, it has not been fixed (other than it works better 'for me').

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Have you installed KB4051963?

Hi there, yes I installed it earlier, it did not make any difference to the errors.

14 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

During my quick testing this AM before going to the golf course using Carenado aircraft that created the unsupported operation 100% of the time, I did not get the errors after trying really hard.  This evening I loaded the PMDG 737 and got the unsupported operation error when clicking on Options>Display only.  When I click okay when I see the error, the sim continues but it will not allow me to open up the Display settings.  This is new as the sim crashed if I did that.  I can open every other menu item and not get the error.  I can even have the 737 increased in time to 4X's.  So it is better but it's not fixed completely.

I think the fact Windows 10 will not allow the Display settings to be shown (i.e., the fsx.cfg) via the FSX Menu Options>Display, might indicate a sharing violation.  I do have FSX set to load with Administrative privileges. 

So it looks like you were right, it has not been fixed (other than it works better 'for me').

Best regards,

Jim

Well, I did not have any problems with FSX until the 'Creators update' and all that managed to create was chaos in my FSX installation (oh and my desktop boots nice and fast now - thanks Microsoft) so I guess my old grandma was right, there only so long you can prop up a dead horse before it falls over entirely :happy: Cheers.

Can confirm the bug is not fixed. Got a crash to desktop when I've tried to open the payload manager while using JustFlight's Turbo Arrow. A second try with the same aircraft made FSX crash outright with the "Child Window" message straight after loading.

"Frustrating" puts it mildly.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

8 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

Can confirm the bug is not fixed. Got a crash to desktop when I've tried to open the payload manager while using JustFlight's Turbo Arrow. A second try with the same aircraft made FSX crash outright with the "Child Window" message straight after loading.

"Frustrating" puts it mildly.

Hi, just out of interest do you have the DX10 scenery fixer installed ? as I was unable to get the Just flight PA-28R Arrow III demo to work for more that about two seconds after the windows update until I uninstalled the DX10 fixer however then all my aircraft would veer to the left on take off so I have given up and wiped my FSX install :huh:

3 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

There's got to be a reason KB4051963 is fixing it for some people but not others.

Yes, I think the reason is because every single person on the planet has a different computer installation :biggrin:

Wow with all the new comments I am thankful I did not reinstall 1709.  Will stick with 1703 until the next update and see what happens.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

2 hours ago, Bjoern said:

This is definitely an indication it is not working.  For me everything works great unless I click on Options>Display in the FSX Menu.  I just tried to upgrade my video card drivers and the new Nvidia drivers failed and refused to go back to the previous version leaving me with just the Windows Display Drivers.  Finally had to do a restore to get my old drivers back.  So, there may have been an issue with my Nvidia drivers.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

This is definitely an indication it is not working.  For me everything works great unless I click on Options>Display in the FSX Menu.  I just tried to upgrade my video card drivers and the new Nvidia drivers failed and refused to go back to the previous version leaving me with just the Windows Display Drivers.  Finally had to do a restore to get my old drivers back.  So, there may have been an issue with my Nvidia drivers.

It isn't the drivers.

After noting that the newest update didn't install correctly (because I shut the computer down after the download instead of restarting it from the Updates menu :rolleyes: ), I let the update install and then installed the 388.43 drivers to 388.43 for the GTX960M. There was absolutely no change in FSX. Set up a free flight with the Arrow, load the sim, receive the crash.

When's the next Patch Day? Tuesday, Dec. 5th or thereabouts?

- Edit: Second tuesday of the month, so it's December 12th. *Sigh*

- Edit #2: I've also tried different compatibility modes for fsx.exe. All didn't work out. This really is a deep rooted problem in 1709.

3 hours ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Hi, just out of interest do you have the DX10 scenery fixer installed ? as I was unable to get the Just flight PA-28R Arrow III demo to work for more that about two seconds after the windows update until I uninstalled the DX10 fixer however then all my aircraft would veer to the left on take off so I have given up and wiped my FSX install :huh:

Yep, I do. But I'm not going to uninstall it because of that bug.

5 hours ago, Bjoern said:

It isn't the drivers.

After noting that the newest update didn't install correctly (because I shut the computer down after the download instead of restarting it from the Updates menu :rolleyes: ), I let the update install and then installed the 388.43 drivers to 388.43 for the GTX960M. There was absolutely no change in FSX. Set up a free flight with the Arrow, load the sim, receive the crash.

When's the next Patch Day? Tuesday, Dec. 5th or thereabouts?

- Edit: Second tuesday of the month, so it's December 12th. *Sigh*

- Edit #2: I've also tried different compatibility modes for fsx.exe. All didn't work out. This really is a deep rooted problem in 1709.

Ah, I was wondering if it may have been an issue with the FSX exe, had altered mine to run in administrators mode but I had not tried to run it in W7 / W8 compatibility mode. I am now downloading a fresh copy from steam after trawling though my 5 SSDs / HDDs deleting every single reference to FSX or the many add-ons etc I could find, then I'll start the painful, tiresome task of installing / tweaking until it breaks again :blink: 

Hi,

Ok so I thought I would post an update, last night I uninstalled FSX and all add-ons and wiped every single reference I could find to them then re-downloaded FSX from steam. Firstly I updated to the new nVidia driver (388.43) that was released yesterday then rebooted. 

Ran FSX with totally default flight, clicking on menu functions, map, changing weather etc. all fine no problems so I exited the flight, changed some menu settings (display/autogen/clouds) rebooted, launched default flight again clicking on menu (without pausing FSX) even created a new flight plan, changed season, changed weather and still no errors or CTDs, Great :biggrin:  At this stage I have made no adjustments outside of the FSX menu what so ever, no changes to the exe. (no run as admin or W7/W8 compatibility mode) I flew around for an hour, landed, saved flight. Made some more changes in the display menu to make it look better (though no DX10 preview) and rebooted. Ok so now I made one change outside FSX and that was to turn on vertical sync for FSX in the nVidia 3D settings panel, and that was the only change I made (can not stand screen tearing :angry:). I launced FSX again, loaded my saved flight, flew around for another hour, clicking on menu functions and changing settings and not one single error message in sight and FSX is running completely stable.

At the moment I am happy that I have not managed to trip it up or break it entirely however as of yet I have not installed any add-ons or fixes and am enjoying flying around over the English winter desert that is the FSX default in a Mooney with a glass cockpit :happy:

So now I am going to try a couple of add-on aircraft first as they will be easier to remove and clean up if they break FSX (hopefully), will report back later.

Cheers.