Sign in to follow this  
Steve 707

Microsoft Releases KB4051963

Thank you for your replies - lots of respect for CyberMiin's extensive efforts :ohmy:. My original success with the MS update was with a stock FSX aircraft (Cessna 172). I retried it today with an Aerosoft Piper PA-38, and the popup options (i.e. Map, Flight Analysis, etc.) failed. My guess is that this update may have partially fixed the Create Window problem as a bi-product of fixing some other bug. Total problem sadly not resolved. I don't have any PMDG aircraft so I can't try that. I did recently install A2A Accu-feel, for what it's worth, but skeptical that it has any relation to the problem (so, no problems with A2A + stock Cessna.) I don't have the freedom of time, though, to uninstall and reinstall everything. Good luck to all, and I'm look forward to the next MS update.

9 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

Since it affects P3D (32 bit versions) too, this is an MS deal.

Hi, glad it is only the 32bit version of P3D, think I'm probably going to get P3D v4.1, time to leave the relic of FSX in the past and move to a today FS :happy: Of course I'm sure there will be problems with that as well but a change is as good as a rest.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Hi, glad it is only the 32bit version of P3D, think I'm probably going to get P3D v4.1, time to leave the relic of FSX in the past and move to a today FS :happy: Of course I'm sure there will be problems with that as well but a change is as good as a rest.   

Don't waste time or money just yet. This latest insanity from MS has fubared P3Dv4.1 64bit as well!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

54 minutes ago, hawkeye71 said:

Unfortunately going to P3D is not an option for some of us, as some of us do not have $200 just lying around. And especially when you're retired and on a fixed income. So I'm just going to wait it out. I keep wanting to go get my Windows 10 DVD and wipe everything and start over, but it's such a pain rebuilding everything I just can't make myself do it.:blush:

I not sure formatting Windows 10 will fix it, after reading of other people on here formatting multiple times and still having the issues, I wiped my FSX + Add-on installation and thought at first it was cured, but no, it returned :huh: 

52 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Don't waste time or money just yet. This latest insanity from MS has fubared P3Dv4.1 64bit as well!

Really ? the 64bit as well ? wow, what the hell is going on I ask myself ? Sux...

1 hour ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I wasn't having any problems but after a flight (thankfully) I finally got the "child window" error. Could it be related to memory? I tend to do general aviation.

No it is not the memory. Since Windows Update to 1709 (Fall Creators Update) this has become very common in FSX (when using the FSX menus or straight after loading) or P3D and sometimes it leads to CTD. That is the main problem more or less we all have....

Regards

4 hours ago, CYBERMiiN said:

Really ? the 64bit as well ? wow, what the hell is going on I ask myself ? Sux...

This has become the new norm for the current crop of Microsoft "programmers:" fix one thing and break three, rinse and repeat until the whole mess has become rancid spaghetti code. Fortunately for me I have a backup computer with Win7 and installs of FSX/A, FSX:SE, P3Dv2, 3, & 4 that I can use for testing projects... :dry:

Fr. Bill    

Hah. I have been battling with Windows 10 and keep snoozing the 1709 Fall Destroyers Update. It pops up so often that it's become like a game of Whack-a-mole.

3 hours ago, Dio said:

No it is not the memory. Since Windows Update to 1709 (Fall Creators Update) this has become very common in FSX (when using the FSX menus or straight after loading) or P3D and sometimes it leads to CTD. That is the main problem more or less we all have....

Regards

I know, but mine was fixed by the latest update. It's pretty much completely playable for me. Just wondering why it went off this one time.

17 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Hah. I have been battling with Windows 10 and keep snoozing the 1709 Fall Destroyers Update. It pops up so often that it's become like a game of Whack-a-mole.

LOL! That's a perfect description of this piece of sketti!

Fr. Bill    

Hi Folks,

So P3Dv4 is broken by MS again ?

I just noticed this weekend the same thing that happened to me a couple months ago with v3 (supposedly fixed middle of Nov)... If I start with a addon aircraft in an addon airport - many times it crashes when done loading the scenario (crash to desktop) - - - if I start with a default aircraft at a default airport - - - then switch to the desired aircraft/airport it seems to work OK... Again - similar happened with v3 a couple months ago and now it materializes in a brand new install of v4...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

15 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

So P3Dv4 is broken by MS again ?

I just noticed this weekend the same thing that happened to me a couple months ago with v3 (supposedly fixed middle of Nov)... If I start with a addon aircraft in an addon airport - many times it crashes when done loading the scenario (crash to desktop) - - - if I start with a default aircraft at a default airport - - - then switch to the desired aircraft/airport it seems to work OK... Again - similar happened with v3 a couple months ago and now it materializes in a brand new install of v4...

Regards,
Scott

I have found with FSX:SE that I don't seem to get the problems now that I have removed ALL (both of them) my add-on aircraft and airports (ORBX freeware ones), at least that was yesterday so it may change again today :laugh:

I was getting the child window / unsupported operation error even just using the default aircraft before (with the add-on ones installed). I still have REX Texture direct/soft clouds+ HD Airports (Skins) and ORBX FTX Global Base/Vector/OpenLC Europe installed but no other add-ons or mods and as I said yesterday for the four or so hours I was testing it I did not get any errors (though this was probably just luck).

It is strange how these last couple of updates only seems to affect FSX (at least in my case), I have not had any problems with any other software I use.

Cheers.

I personally think the issue with the error creating child window and unsupported operation are solely permission problems.  Windows 10 1709 messed with the permissions.  I worked most of yesterday on permissions and seemed to have it fixed for most commercial aircraft (do not see the problem with default) but get the error back when running the PMDG 737.  This is strange as I have had several flights in the PMDG 737 w/o an error if I stayed away from clicking on Options/Settings/Display (which tries to open up my FSX.cfg).  So my user profile is corrupted or permissions for me as the user are wrong.  If anyone wants to mess with permissions, make sure your drives are protected by System Restore.  My FSX is located on G drive and I did not have G drive protected so anything I did with permissions could not be restored.  Go to the Restore program (type Restore in the Search and click on creating a restore point control panel).  In the list of drives, turn any drive that is turned off to on.  I just had C drive turned on.  Not a problem so far for me except I wish I could have created a restore point that included the G Drive so I could go back to the what they were and try again...  I was so successful in changing permissions that all of my Carenado aircraft worked flawlessly and I was even able to click on the Instant Replay and run the whole flight all over again with all of the different views!  When I opened up the PMDG 737, it loaded okay but then, when I touched the FMC to program my flight, it came up with the error creating child windows and crashed (sometimes it allowed me to click on okay and it would continue again but then crash again).  With some permissions, if I started up FSX and loaded the PMDG 737, the error creating child windows popped up as the aircraft was loading at the runway.  So this is why everyone is getting different results when they use FSX.  Some see no errors, just one error (like me) when I click on Options>Settings>Display.  I personally cannot see how a "fix" from Microsoft Update will fix these permission rules.

If one wants to see permissions on YOUR computer, open up File Explorer, click on your FSX directory then look up in the Menu in File Explorer and click on Share then Advanced Security.  Disable inheritance must be shown and "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entires from this object" unchecked or disabled.  For me I had two permission entries with the exact same permissions.  Deleted one.  I also downloaded a neat program called "Take Ownership".  It places a registry value in your registry so that when you right click the FSX directory, you will have the option to Take Ownership.  I did that and had the best results when running FSX (except for the PMDG 737).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I might add that I also checked the permissions of P3DV4 (which I have no issues whatsoever) and the System is set for permissions for that app.  In FSX, it was the Administrator.  Changed FSX to System and got tons and tons of errors creating child window/unsupported operation and went back to Administrator.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10