Sign in to follow this  
Steve 707

Microsoft Releases KB4051963

On 05/12/2017 at 0:58 PM, Jim Young said:

I personally cannot see how a "fix" from Microsoft Update will fix these permission rules.

I'm not sure that it's just a matter of permissions for those who are experiencing issues. The "child window" problem that some are getting has already been admitted to by MS: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054150/issues-when-windows-10-fall-creators-update-calls-createwindowex-for-s

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I understand that but there are many who have no issues and have v1709 installed.  I even have the PMDG 737 running flawlessly with certain permission settings but run into trouble when using addon scenery like Orbx.  Default aircraft and scenery seem to have no problems.  I did not see where FSX was mentioned in the link you provided.  Are we sure they are talking about FSX or P3DV3?  I know Lockheed said Microsoft was working on a fix for P3D.  I know for a fact they did not touch Microsoft Visual C++2005 w/SP1 which runs FSX (and for legacy purposes, P3D).  They did not touch the old Microsoft.net's that run FSX.  So it is just the addon's and the Microsoft Visual/Dotnet used by LM for P3DV3.  Think it was MSV 2010 for LM's P3DV3 and Dotnet 4 something.  As I stated on Sunday, I had a very successful flight with the PMDG737 from Taxi2Gate KSTL to KDAL with real world weather and ProATC-X - https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/525714-realistic-flight-from-kstl-to-kdal-in-real-weather/.  Same last night out of FSDT KLAX to KSAN in the 737.  But, today, go to Taxi2Gate KSEA and Orbx/FTX PacificNW, and immediately got creating child window and unsupported operation errors.  Go to FSDT KLAX and no errors.  So, for FSX, it is obviously (to me) something to do with FTX.  Believe me, I have been researching this for hours and days and always come close to a solution but fail when I load FTX or any Pacific NW regions.  Think they used MSV 2008 w/SP1 with their installer.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello 'Jim'. I am totally new to Avsim Forums, but have been using every edition FSX since the BAO V1.0 'back in the day'. I am totally disheartened with this Windows Creator Update 1709 issue. It has ruined my FSX hobby for now. I run both a very high-end laptop and desktop, both with dual Nvidia GTX 1080 GPUs and tons on RAM at 64GB each. Before the 1709 update, iut was all running superbly and now, it's the litany of 'child window' and unsupported operation errors, CTD's, etc.  All I seem to read out there on the interweb, is that nobody seems to know the answer and there are a bazillion 'variables'. Your words seem the most kind, considerate and educated, so I'm starting with you Sir. And of course, top save disk space, I removed previous update installs, so I can't roll back on 1709.  Is this whole issue just a matter of waiting for an MS solution, or is going to be a labor intensive process of updating each add-on, etc., from each vendor? I use a whole range of Orbx/FTX scenery (direct from FTX, not the Steam versions) and also various other scenery add-ons. I've updated .dlls, dotNetFx45, vcredist.X86 and X64 ... and done multiple re-installs of FSX SE. Very frustrating.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tony.

29 minutes ago, TONYCORN said:

Your words seem the most kind, considerate and educated

Hi Tony,

Welcome to AVSIM and thanks for your kind comments.  I just completed a repair of my FSX (boxed version) and Acceleration as I was only having issues when I clicked on a menu item in FSX.  I had previously disabled all of my Orbx/FTX programs and that seemed to end my child window errors.  I have several other addons like Taxi2Gate, FSDT, FlightBeam, etc., but they had not caused any problems when I went to those airports.  Just Orbx/FTX stuff.  FSX sessions did not crash unless I clicked on a menu item and sometimes, I never got an error if clicking on a menu item.  I decided to do a repair just to see if this would fix my issues with FSX.  It did.  No more errors with the menu.  So, personally, I think FTX/Orbx products are not compatible with the latest release of Windows Update.  I strongly recommend a repair and disabling of all FTX/Orbx sceneries.

For FSX-SE - Right click FSX-SE while in the library. Select properties and from there you can access the right menu to verify your files. Steam will reload any that are defective.  I do not own FSX-SE so cannot tell you if this "repair" will work or not.

For FSX (boxed version) save your FSX.cfg and Scenery.cfg by using the ‘off’ extension (i.e., fsx.cfg.off).  You can leave the dll.xml and exe.xml if you have them installed or rename them too with the off extension.  It will be okay if you restart your sim after the repair to load the dll.xml and exe.xml.  Remember, in P3D, there are two locations for the dll.xml and exe.xml (one in the p3d.cfg folder and one in the scenery.cfg folder).  Insert the number DVD in your drive and then go to File Explorer and click on the folder where your DVD drive is located.  Right click on Setup and select ‘Run as Administrator’.  You will then be offered to remove FSX or repair it.  Click on Repair.  It may not look like it is repairing but be patient as the repair process is working.  After a few minutes, you will be told to insert Disk Number 2.  Once inserted, let it setup for a few seconds and then click on Okay.  The process will continue and you will be informed it has been completed when it is finished.  If you have Acceleration, do the same thing as above and right click on the Setup and select ‘Run as Administrator’.  After that process finishes, your FSX will be repaired.  If you do not have Acceleration, you will have to reinstall SP1 and SP2.  The updates may or may not offer the repair function along with the remove option.  Click repair.

For P3Dv3 users, the P3D Tricks, Tips and How To's forum has instructions on how to repair P3D.

As I stated above, the repair function has worked for me.... so far.  I have only tested with my default aircraft and have not had time to test with commercial aircraft but I had errors on occasion when I clicked on the menu with default aircraft installed too.  I do not see that or any of the anomalies before the repair and the sim is working perfectly as it should.  For FSX-SE users, I would rename the fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg as I did for the FSX (boxed version).  You might want to rename the dll.xml and exe.xml too.  Conduct the repair as suggested on the Steam site and then run in default mode without the scenery addons.  See if this fixes your problems.  You do not have to uninstall/reinstall any aircraft addons as I have not found a problem with the addon aircraft and I have used the Carenado and PMDG 737 aircraft.  When I had Orbx stuff enabled in my scenery.cfg and loaded the PMDG 737, I would immediately get a child error and my PFD and FMC's would not light up.  Disabled FTX/Orbx stuff, restarted, and it started up normally w/o any errors and the PFD and FMC's lit up.  So, at least on MY computer, FSX did not like FTX/Orbx products enabled.  I plan on conducting more tests tomorrow but think my problems are really fixed since the repair (only the repair fixed it; just disabling Orbx scenery stopped most errors but not the ones when I clicked on the menu).  Hope this helps and, again, welcome.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thank you!  Great reply. I will try the removal of Orbx/FTX scenery, although, I am somewhat reluctant. As you know, it's a bit of an investment $$$ !!!  However, you'd want to think that either Orbx or MS will (eventually) have a permanent fix, not a "workaround"? I'll keep you posted. TC.

10 hours ago, TONYCORN said:

I will try the removal of Orbx/FTX scenery, although, I am somewhat reluctant. As you know, it's a bit of an investment $$$ !!! 

As you know, you do not uninstall any of the addon scenery.  Just disable.

My final testing:  FSX works with default aircraft, scenery, and airports.  I have found FSDT airports work with default aircraft (and the PMDG 737 as long as you stay away from the menu options) but found issues using other commercial airports and commercial addon scenery.  We will have to wait for the "fix".

Submit News to AVSIM

FSX-SE had an update (at least on my end) this am.  I thought this might clear up the errors.  No yet, I had started a flight and clicked on the gauge to change to the local altimeter and the "child error" popped up and CTD my sim.

Hopefully fixed this week.

Duane Buck