Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Desparately need help with P3D not starting

35 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Howard, try this if you can get back into Windows 10:

Thanks for the heads up matey, appreciated. Well, the sun is starting to shine a little brighter, as I actually managed to get system restore to work in safe mode. For some reason this did not happen previously, so I am a little perplexed. Anyway, in doing a system restore, for some reason I can't get into P3D as I have to contact LM and get an activation code!! All will be on hold now to see if the issue has been rectified. I suspect it will have been, but I cannot test things without starting P3d. :blink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi Howard,

Don't have time to read entire thread ... but did you get your system up and running?  The mouse beeping while moving is usually a hardware/driver issue and/or Overclocking issue.  I had a Saitek trim wheel that would trigger the beeping on mouse movement ... what was happening is the device kept disconnecting and then reconnecting which caused lots of confusion in P3D.  My solution was to get rid of the Saitek trim wheel especially because there was no support and Saitek got bought and was in "transition".

Windows 10 has many options for backing up, some are buried away and not made obvious.  So once you get P3D activation back working and hopefully everything else working well, I highly recommend you get a $60 1TB USB 3.0 external drive and do a Windows 10 "Create system image".  A system image will not require any reactivation's of any software when restored.

I feel your pain BTW, I think everyone has been there at some point ... I spent the last two days of free time tracking down a bad BGL (needle in a hay stack).

Cheers, Rob.

I had the same issue as Rob but with my PFC Beech Yoke. It’ll kept connecting and disconnecting. I moved it from a USB 3.0 hub to a direct USB 2.0 port on the motherboard and that cured my problem. 

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Hi Howard,

Don't have time to read entire thread ... but did you get your system up and running?  The mouse beeping while moving is usually a hardware/driver issue and/or Overclocking issue.  I had a Saitek trim wheel that would trigger the beeping on mouse movement ... what was happening is the device kept disconnecting and then reconnecting which caused lots of confusion in P3D.  My solution was to get rid of the Saitek trim wheel especially because there was no support and Saitek got bought and was in "transition".

Windows 10 has many options for backing up, some are buried away and not made obvious.  So once you get P3D activation back working and hopefully everything else working well, I highly recommend you get a $60 1TB USB 3.0 external drive and do a Windows 10 "Create system image".  A system image will not require any reactivation's of any software when restored.

I feel your pain BTW, I think everyone has been there at some point ... I spent the last two days of free time tracking down a bad BGL (needle in a hay stay).

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the input Rob. Sure, it was definitely related to the Saitek rudder pedals. Not sure I can get rid of those though! Hopefully my options will be clearer once I get back up and running with the activation key. I'll either plod on without installing any further updates, or I'll revert back to Win7. .... now where did I leave the paracetamol :unsure: 

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

1 hour ago, Samaritano said:

I had the same issue as Rob but with my PFC Beech Yoke. It’ll kept connecting and disconnecting. I moved it from a USB 3.0 hub to a direct USB 2.0 port on the motherboard and that cured my problem. 

Sure, I tried the Saitek pedals in every other USB port, but with no change.

Howard

I didn't have issues with my Saitek pedals (at the time), only the Saitek Trim Wheel.  I no longer have any Saitek controllers since moving to Windows 10 sometime ago.  But my Trim Wheel was working fine under Win7 ... but that's a lot of work to move back to Win7 and what if flight simulators start using DX12 (Win10 only feature)?

Have you pulled apart the Saitek pedals to see if  you have dust bunnies in the unit that might be causing electrical issues?  Loose wire or potentiometer gone bad.  Do you have another Win10 PC available to test the Saitek Pedals ... that will help confirm pedals problem or not.

FYI, I don't know how many USB devices you have connected nor their power draw, but in my systems I seem to peek at about 12-14 devices per USB controller (controller NOT HUB ... doesn't matter if power or un-powered HUBs are being used) ... keeping in mind a keyboard, mouse, etc. etc all add to the USB count. 

To keep all my USB devices working correctly I currently have 3 USB controllers (including the onboard controllers) powering 38 devices ... I'm on the limit.  I know when I've gone over the limit when I start to see my GoFlight modules power cycle (the lights actually have a power on sequence they go thru and that should only happen when I cold boot, or warm reboot).

So if you haven't already isolated the issue, you can try removing all USB devices with the exception of the mouse/keyboard and then test the Saitek in each USB port.

There are also some other options, since Windows 10 is more UEFI aware it might be trying to power down your Saitek rudders/devices ... to disable this you can try: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

If this doesn't work, another option is to set you USB devices to Legacy in the UEFI/BIOS and/or enable CSM support.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I didn't have issues with my Saitek pedals (at the time), only the Saitek Trim Wheel.  I no longer have any Saitek controllers since moving to Windows 10 sometime ago.  But my Trim Wheel was working fine under Win7 ... but that's a lot of work to move back to Win7 and what if flight simulators start using DX12 (Win10 only feature)?

Have you pulled apart the Saitek pedals to see if  you have dust bunnies in the unit that might be causing electrical issues?  Loose wire or potentiometer gone bad.  Do you have another Win10 PC available to test the Saitek Pedals ... that will help confirm pedals problem or not.

FYI, I don't know how many USB devices you have connected nor their power draw, but in my systems I seem to peek at about 12-14 devices per USB controller (controller NOT HUB ... doesn't matter if power or un-powered HUBs are being used) ... keeping in mind a keyboard, mouse, etc. etc all add to the USB count. 

To keep all my USB devices working correctly I currently have 3 USB controllers (including the onboard controllers) powering 38 devices ... I'm on the limit.  I know when I've gone over the limit when I start to see my GoFlight modules power cycle (the lights actually have a power on sequence they go thru and that should only happen when I cold boot, or warm reboot).

So if you haven't already isolated the issue, you can try removing all USB devices with the exception of the mouse/keyboard and then test the Saitek in each USB port.

There are also some other options, since Windows 10 is more UEFI aware it might be trying to power down your Saitek rudders/devices ... to disable this you can try: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

If this doesn't work, another option is to set you USB devices to Legacy in the UEFI/BIOS and/or enable CSM support.

Cheers, Rob.

It is a lot of work to revert back Rob and you make some good points. I'm just very frustrated. However, it would be a last resort. I've got 14 USB devices. 5 on a powered hub, 4 others on a powered hub, 3 in the rear of the case and 2 temporarily in the from panel. I did remove all but the keyboard and mouse, and it was by doing this I managed to trace the issue to the Saitek pedals. This is interesteing Rob.... Windows 10 is more UEFI aware it might be trying to power down your Saitek rudders/devices, although I am unsure what you mean. I will nevertheless follow your suggestions, hopefully when I get back up and running and try to sort things out. Cheers.

Howard

Just now, Rockliffe said:

It is a lot of work to revert back Rob and you make some good points. I'm just very frustrated. However, it would be a last resort. I've got 14 USB devices. 5 on a powered hub, 4 others on a powered hub, 3 in the rear of the case and 2 temporarily in the front panel. I did remove all but the keyboard and mouse, and it was by doing this I managed to trace the issue to the Saitek pedals. This is interesteing Rob.... Windows 10 is more UEFI aware it might be trying to power down your Saitek rudders/devices, although I am unsure what you mean. I will nevertheless follow your suggestions, hopefully when I get back up and running and try to sort things out. Cheers.

Howard

23 minutes ago, simbol said:

Any updates? I am looking forward for the news that you can at least launch PD3!

Simbol 

Just got my activation from LM about an hour ago. I'm working at the moment Simbol, but will report back this afternoon. Cheers.

Howard

7 hours ago, simbol said:

Any updates? I am looking forward for the news that you can at least launch PD3!

Simbol 

Well, I'm back up and running. The restore point took me back prior to the installation of the new MB and everything now works as it did before installing the latest Win10 update. I am now faced with what to do next :blink: Attempt to update again and find P3d non functional or update and risk the dilemma of non compatible drivers for the rudder pedals. I think I'll delve a little deeper into the drivers issue and see what Logitech have to say. In the meantime I have disabled Win updates.

BTW, thanks to yourself, Rob and everyone else who's offered advice and a shoulder to cry on.

Howard

19 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Well, I'm back up and running. The restore point took me back prior to the installation of the new MB and everything now works as it did before installing the latest Win10 update. I am now faced with what to do next :blink: Attempt to update again and find P3d non functional or update and risk the dilemma of non compatible drivers for the rudder pedals. I think I'll delve a little deeper into the drivers issue and see what Logitech have to say. In the meantime I have disabled Win updates.

BTW, thanks to yourself, Rob and everyone else who's offered advice and a shoulder to cry on.

I would take a backup now, disable the windows 10 update services temporally and take a break, enjoy some flights for a while and don't update until Saitek gives official answer about what to do.

I am glad your system is now back in operation.

Best Regards,

Simbol 

4 minutes ago, simbol said:

I would take a backup now, disable the windows 10 update services temporally and take a break, enjoy some flights for a while and don't update until Saitek gives official answer about what to do.

I am glad your system is now back in operation.

Best Regards,

Simbol 

Cheers :biggrin:

Howard