Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

Modifying a stock airport in P3D?

OK, an airport near me has ILS on one runway but the stock airport doesn't have it. I want to add that ILS to that runway but, I haven't been able to figure out how to get that done. I thought I could just use ADE to load up the stock airport, make changes, then put the compiled BGL into the sceneryt but, that didn't work very well since I guess I don't know enough to get everything generated.

Any help?

14 minutes ago, alhefner said:

OK, an airport near me has ILS on one runway but the stock airport doesn't have it. I want to add that ILS to that runway but, I haven't been able to figure out how to get that done. I thought I could just use ADE to load up the stock airport, make changes, then put the compiled BGL into the sceneryt but, that didn't work very well since I guess I don't know enough to get everything generated.

Any help?

ADE is the way to go. This should help you out.

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com/s/help_docs/m/20268/l/199752-how-do-i-add-an-ils-to-a-runway

Yes you need just that , the thing is your compiled .bgl (done with the right SDK files) goes into a folder say MyAirport , inside it , another folder named scenery and inside this your .bgl, then in the SIM go to world >scenery> add scenery and add the MyAirport  folder , should work

Jorge

1 minute ago, aeronauta said:

Yes you need just that , the thing is your compiled .bgl (done with the right SDK files) goes into a folder say MyAirport , inside another folder scenery and inside this your .bgl, then in the SIM go to world >scenery> add scenery and add the MyAirport  folder , should work

Jorge

So, I need two folders? One labeled something like "airport KRTS" then inside that one, another folder labeled "scenery" then in the "scenery folder goes my bgl?

Thank you Jorge! I'll try that out in the morning. Right now, I'm just off work and headed for bed!

@alhefner

You may want to take a look here as well, may be a simpler solution for you and less learning curve:

http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

ADE is actually pretty easy to learn. Sounds like OP might just have not had his bgl in a folder named 'scenery'.(?) if so, if he's already worked out how to add the ils and recompile a bgl, so he should be good to go.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

OK! That did it! The whole problem was that I didn't realize that I needed to put it into another folder labeled "Scenery" inside the folder named for the airport... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to have to have a path like this ... "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\krts\Scenery" but, it is what it is...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, alhefner said:

OK! That did it! The whole problem was that I didn't realize that I needed to put it into another folder labeled "Scenery" inside the folder named for the airport... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to have to have a path like this ... "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\krts\Scenery" but, it is what it is...

We used to always use Scenery Addon folders for this and I use one of two methods (big addons from developers do not go in Scenery Addons in my scheme).  For a simple modification to an airport, such parking adjustments or correcting an ILS I will put the bgl in Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.  If my addon is a little more complex with multiple files then I will set up the location under Scenery Addons.  For example, Scenery Addon\KCRP\Scenery and \Texture.  The difference is that there only needs to be one Addon component added to an xml file to all everything in Scenery Addon folders (scenery and textures).  If I specify a subfolder as in the case of KCRP then each one of these instances require their own addon component added to an add-on.xml file.  Most of my "AFCAD" only are added the simpler former method.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP