Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

First autopilot flight in the 747-400 QOTSII

7 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I was almost successful on my second attempt. I say almost because.....although I successfully captured the glideslope, pressing "Z" to disengage the autopilot on final approach did not seem to work.

Did you assign a custom function in the FMC's "Autopilot" section for A/P disconnect?   From memory, the default assignment is not 'Z' (so as not to clash with default FSX/P3D assignments).  So you'll need to set a custom function.  

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

The default assignment is "Z" for the PMDG 737 NGX, and it works perfectly fine with that aircraft. Are you saying that it is different for the 747?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

17 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The default assignment is "Z" for the PMDG 737 NGX, and it works perfectly fine with that aircraft. Are you saying that it is different for the 747?

It might well be - just check the 747's FMC key assignments page and you'll find out. I have no issues disconnecting the AP, but I use a completely different custom assignment for the QOTS  ('X' key).    The PMDG birds do not use any aspects of the default AP, so worth checking as it certainly won't 'read' any default AP assignments from the sim.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

If you use FSUIPC I believe it is AP MASTER. That's what I use and bind it to one of the yoke buttons. Double push. Autothrottle has one too, but can't remember that name off hand.

As far as throttle level position, I have "in hold mode only" set and I make it a habit of matching my throttle lever position throughout the descent and approach (to some extent). Even in cruise I do it occasionally to occupy time.There are times in descent, when in hold mode, that I find myself burning off too much speed. I can then bump the levers off of idle and bring my speed back up.

On 12/4/2017 at 1:34 PM, Christopher Low said:

I have just attempted my first autopilot controlled flight in the 747-400, and I noted some differences to the 737 NGX (which is to be expected). The 737 NGX seems to automatically enter ALT HOLD mode when reaching cruise altitude.

This is also not the correct way. if the 737 engages in ALT HOLD when reaching cruise altitude set in FMC, this means that your climb was performed outside vnav. the 737 should also read VNAV PATH when reaching cruise altitude. Make sure you have engaged vnav on the MCP panel.

That's an interesting comment, Alfredo. I always activate VNAV and LNAV before I initiate pushback in the 737, but for some reason the VNAV light always goes OFF soon after I depart....

My third attempt at an FMC controlled 747-400 flight was a success (EGBB Birmingham to EIDW Dublin). I just disconnected the AP by clicking the DISENGAGE button on the MCP. Much more realistic than pressing the "Z" key :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

51 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I just disconnected the AP by clicking the DISENGAGE button on the MCP. Much more realistic than pressing the "Z" key

Actually, if you are referring to the disengage bar below the A/P buttons - not at all. This is not the correct way to disengage the autopilot: it is an emergency system. 

The normal way to disengage the A/P is via the disengage switch on the control wheel, which should be mapped to the FS "A/P master" control.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

That's an interesting comment, Alfredo. I always activate VNAV and LNAV before I initiate pushback in the 737, but for some reason the VNAV light always goes OFF soon after I depart....

My third attempt at an FMC controlled 747-400 flight was a success (EGBB Birmingham to EIDW Dublin). I just disconnected the AP by clicking the DISENGAGE button on the MCP. Much more realistic than pressing the "Z" key :smile:

The normal procedure to disengage the autopilot in both aircraft is by pressing the disengage button ON the control column. you can map that button trough the FMC options. in the 747 you RIGHT CLICK the screw just above the FD switch.

If your vnav disappears then something on your lateral revision is causing a reversion. check your FMC legs page to ensure everything is ok. on climb the FMA should read VNAV SPD

Stable on final approach during my second flight, disconnected the AP, adjusted the power slightly to correct the glideslope.....and a massive surge of power resulted in one of my worst ever landings in the 747. In short, I had forgotten to reduce the throttles from the full power setting when taking off :blush: I really need to start writing things down....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Did you activated the "show throttle position" in the options menu of the CDU?  It shows exactly where your (fysical) throttle position should be before diconect the autothrottle:cool:

In the CDU: PMDG SETUP > Options > Simulation > Page 1/10: Show thrust lever pos: YES

• Upvote 1

Thanks, William. You may have just saved some virtual lives tonight :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I too am a new Queen of the Skies Pilot, comming from the NGX.

He about a full Cat 3 auto land?

Leave auto throttle on, speed set at VRef, at weight on wheels, nose wheel down, engage reversers, 70 knots, out of reverse, stop, then disengage autopilot and autothrottle. Then find the exit and taxi to the gate?

How does that sound to everyone?:huh:

BTW, don't try and use the Ultimate Traffic Live hotkeys for clearing the approach/reset traffic....I did and got a TOGA and she went up like a rocket! Need to check those key assignments in the FMS Key settings!

Best regards.