Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Guide to aircraft simulation?

Is there any tutorial/guide on aircraft simulation? Being a newbie to flight sim development, I don’t really know where to start, any help would be great!!

1 minute ago, simbol said:

Milton, you a newbie?  I am confused.

Simbol 

How so?

Just now, simbol said:

I regard you as user with good knowledge that is all.

Simbol 

Thanks! I’m just a newbie to aircraft development who doesn’t know where to start :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

Thanks! I’m just a newbie to aircraft development who doesn’t know where to start :biggrin:

Star by the PD3 SDK, also www.fsdeveloper.com has good resources.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

If you mean actually creating FS aeroplanes yourself, the tutorials in FSDS are not bad to get you started, as are the tutorials in GMax/3DSMax. The SDK for the program you are creating an aeroplane for is of course also necessary to check out.

Where you need to start with such an undertaking, is where everyone starts, i.e. it is akin to learning something like building construction, you'd first learn to build a small house before you'd decide to build a cathedral if you expected it to be a successful undertaking. There is nothing wrong with ambition of course, but one has to be realistic in determining what will be possible, especially when new to the subject. Don't let that put you off, but don't underestimate it either.

There are quite a lot of things to consider, i.e. you need either very good existing reference for the aeroplane, or the ability to measure it, because you need to be able to create the interior and the exterior 3D models and the textures. Then you need to create the instruments and avionics, engine systems etc, the flight model, the audio, then test it and create the documentation for it and finally create some sort of installer or package. You don't have to do all of that yourself of course, but much of its creation will be down to you in terms of either the construction of it, or at least the direction of others who will do so.

So, it makes sense to tackle a very simple aeroplane, and one you have a good idea of in terms of performance, for example, creating a training aeroplane or a glider would be a good choice. This is because you could use default simulator avionics in the cockpit, and you could use a default flight model as the basis for your new aeroplane. This and the fact that there is far more likelihood that you'd be able to gain access to such an aeroplane, since it is unlikely that an airline will lend you their Boeing 737 for a week so you can study and record its features.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

fsdeveloper.com and sim-outhouse.com....another, very well known, Milton hangs out at sim-outhouse and he has done a series of videos on aircraft modeling.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

There are quite a lot of things to consider, i.e. you need either very good existing reference for the aeroplane, or the ability to measure it, because you need to be able to create the interior and the exterior 3D models and the textures

How expensive are flights to Ukraine, again?:biggrin: