Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Health Report for Roy Chaffin-Flight Simulator Contributor

It is with deep sorrow I have to report of the deteriorating health condition of Roy Chaffin, my good friend.

Roy has been a great contributor to the Flight Simulator  community. He has released packages for Combat Flight Simulator 2 and FS2002 all the way up to P3D

He has been suffering with Parkinson's Disease for some time. Three weeks ago Roy had a fall. He went to get up off a chair (one of those office chairs on wheels). It went one way, he went the other. He fell on his back with his head hitting the door jamb behind him and was not really with it.

Paramedics took him to a local hospital in an ambulance where he was x-rayed and they announced he had broken two vertebrae in his neck. They were unable to treat him and sent him to a major London hospital where spinal surgeons operated and inserted metal plates to support the neck. The good news is that the spinal chord was not  breached and he is not paralyzed.

The surgeon said the operation was a complete success. He has gradually recovered from the operation although still very sore, stiff and weak from having to lay still for three weeks without sitting or standing.

He is being moved to a local private hospital where a regime of physiotherapy will begin - although he says he just wants a reasonable quality of life.

Roy is an Internationally acclaimed wildlife artist and is known for his unique style, combining photographic detail with an artistic portrayal. The results are dramatic, each animal painting seeming to acquire a living quality.

His paintings and limited edition prints are collected by people around the world.

You can view some of his work at www.roychaffin.com. You can click on the link http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html to view his Flight Simulation addons.

He has worked with world famous Siegfried &Roy and Tippi Hedron's Shambala Preserve.

I hope your thoughts and prayers will be with him for his successful recovery, as I will.

Roy has authorized me to post this.

Bob.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear that, I remember Roy's contributions over the years. Wish him and his family all the best in this difficult moment.

Enrique Vaamonde

Thank you Bob for the detailed report on Roy's serious travails. I will keep he and his family in my daily prayers for a smooth and rapid as possible recovery.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I remember Roy from way back.. he was an artist and a gentleman.. I wish him a complete recovery :biggrin:

Bert

God Speed for Roy's recovery! Three years ago I suffered a concussion when one of the four plastic arms in the base of my office/sim chair failed due to age, quickly and decisively sending me backwards and down with the back of my head landing on the rim of the metal base of a treadmill that was behind me. I was more fortunate than Roy as I suffered no permanent brain damage or vertebrate damage. So I completely understand! I now have a chair base with metal arms!

Get well soon Roy!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 hours ago, Bob Familton said:

It is with deep sorrow I have to report of the deteriorating health condition of Roy Chaffin

Thanks for the update Bob.  I had lost touch with him and was concerned about how he was doing.

Godspeed Roy,

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I remember Roy from FS2002/FS2004 and particularly enjoyed his B-24 and contribution to MAAM-Sim

Thanks to you all for the kind thoughts. I have received many replies from the other FS Forums as well.I am passing them on to Dinah, his wife, as I get them. I am sure Roy will appreciate the thoughts. Bob.

Wishing the best for Roy and a quick recovery! 

Best wishes,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have an update on Roy's condition.

Roy's wife has been very moved and proud of all the comments the

flight sim community have made. She passed them on to Roy and he

says a big thank you to everyone who is rooting for him.

Roy is making progress - he was helped to a chair today and was able to

sit for over an hour without pain. A big step forward.

He will be moved to another facility called a Rehab Centre when he is

fit enough. His wife has been told he might have to be there for 6 weeks

before he can come home, but hopefully would be able to do so sooner.

Thanks for all your kind comments, Bob.

• Upvote 1

I remember Roy going back to the FS98 days. He made some great panels. Prayers for a speedy recovery Roy.

All of the Best to Roy!

My Prayers to his recovery.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

All the best, Roy!
There are bad moments in life but good ones will come.

Here is an update direct from Roy:

"Roy's Progress Report,

9th Nov - neck broken

13th Nov - neck surgically rebuilt

15th Dec - moved from hospital to rehabilitation centre

27th Dec - Now I am restricted to lying on my back in bed all day. I can sit for only two hours each day because my neck cannot yet support my head any longer than that. My neck and my hands are very painful.

All of the above needs massive doses of painkillers. Currently my hands do not work properly. I hope to progress more in the New Year

I wish you all a Happy New Year

Roy"

He thanks all that have posted on this thread. Bob.

• Upvote 1