Sign in to follow this  
Bourrinopathe

[WIP] C337 + GTN 650

Hi there,

I just finished editing an updated GTN 650 3D model including an optional PBR glass effect.
The GTN is fully functional but a few adjustments are still required in that C337 cockpit (Carenado) (instruments size is non-standard).
The GTN normal map is also still missing.

b995e8c28627cb5e7d5bc43c6eefe975.jpg
c6196e7aab54be5af24eb78e2b2366eb.jpg
be0d9a74904263c3d0b307d96442ad1d.jpg

When this mod will be ready, I'll be able to share it with the community, thanks to Carenado/Thranda's permission.
Also, I'd like to thank Jean-Luc from Reality XP for his invaluable help and availability. The opportunity to learn and use these realistic instruments would not exist without his work and skills.

• Upvote 3

Amazing, thanks and very eager to use this.  How's this bird in XP11 (I assume that this is a 10.50 version?)? Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Thanks. I really like the C337 push-pull design.
However, I won't be able to tell you much about it as I currently don't fly the Skymaster in XP.
That version has been saved using the Plane Maker 11.10rc2 and it feels ok. No weird taxiing behavior or anything obvious.
Just keep in mind that (latest) version (v3.2 I believe) has not been tuned for XP11 and even less so for XP 11.10 and the new airfoils, FMOD and other improvements. I didn't test it thoroughly and didn't check the numbers.
Also, there's no PBR support but it still looks very decent with great texture work.
And of course, it's even better with a GTN 650 ;)

11 hours ago, Bourrinopathe said:

And of course, it's even better with a GTN 650 ;)

Agree.  If and when Carenado releases this bird again for XP11, they already said that it will be a new purchase.  Every other developers offer a reasonable upgrade price, but apparently not this one. Make me want to go into Plane Maker and toy with it myself :laugh:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Just a quick update:
I'm going to wait for the C337 XP11 update/new version before going forward with that mod.
The reason is once the update is available it will be necessary to modify all the files again to make it compatible with a GTN unit.
I'll prefer focusing my efforts on XP11.10-ready aircraft (depending on my free time).
At least it's a proof of concept and making a compatibility mod for the Skymaster is definitely possible ;)

----

@Vu Pham: As far as I can tell, a big part of the XP11 updates for the Carenado aircraft is the texture work as they have to create and adjust the new textures to support the Physically Based Rendering. XP 11.10 also offers more options like FMOD and significantly improved airfoils format. And all that can't be done with the Plane Maker.
That being said, it's possible to modify the objects so they're PBR-ready - it's not obvious on my screenshots but I modified the windshield/glass objects to get the dynamic PBR reflections.
So slightly updated visuals and a XP11 compatible aircraft can be achieved with a few compromises.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bourrinopathe said:

Just a quick update:
I'm going to wait for the C337 XP11 update/new version before going forward with that mod.
The reason is once the update is available it will be necessary to modify all the files again to make it compatible with a GTN unit.
I'll prefer focusing my efforts on XP11.10-ready aircraft (depending on my free time).
At least it's a proof of concept and making a compatibility mod for the Skymaster is definitely possible ;)

The problem is that we have no idea when Carenado will release those.  They seem to get more of the P3Dv4 versions out right now (some are just awful rushed jobs to milk the market).  I will try to muck around with PlaneMaker to see what I can do.  I also have the REP packages as well so the flight model is kind of taken care of.  It's too bad we don't have the 3D gauge objects released individually as freeware with some detailed instructions.  Some of us can also help as well.  My weakness is 3D model, as I am not an artist.  However, I think I can take an existing gauge and bring it into the planes.

Vu Pham