Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Revisiting FSW...

27 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Bear in mind the stats for XP11 on steam probably represent a smaller number than actual users since it is also directly available from Laminar Research's website

Exactly this. Most people bought it on the LR site to fully support the developer. The same happens with DCS World which was first released only on their site, and only later on started being distributed on the Steam platform too.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

4 hours ago, pracines said:

Your point about realism coming from add-ons applies to FSW too. And my point is that there is less realism in FSW compared to what is available in the others. No FSW mission can come even close to the realism I can attain in free flight using my P3Dv4 with the add-ons I have had for years.  :biggrin:

I took FSW up for a quick spin last night. One thing that jumped out at me is that the on-rails feel of out-of-the-box FSX and (I'm assuming by extension) P3D is entirely absent. In fact it felt more like the one flight I ever took in X-Plane. :smile:   With FSX I had buy ASxx with Opus to get the same effect. So in that aspect of realism it beats the two largest incumbents already.

(Confession: I have often dismissed cockpit shadows in the past as eye candy, and that they are  But damn, they're immersive!)

• Upvote 4

I am amazed how touchy people get when XP is mentioned, it been knocking around longer than FSX.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I don't think anyone was getting touchy, I was just saying that trusting Steam stats for something like X-Plane or DCS etc is not a good indication of usage for a sim that is available on other channels. Of course for Steam only games like FSW it holds much more weight.

In my personal opinion, FSW is already technically ahead of P3D v4.. and when I say P3D, I mean vanilla P3D with no addons. Considering P3D has been in development for several years now, I find DTG's progress very impressive in a much shorter space of time, and this is what excites me about the sim. Not only is it much much cheaper and available to the general public, it also looks much better as a default sim out of the box. Also for people who don't mind the term "fun" or "game", it's also both of those as well as a simulator.

• Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I don't think anyone was getting touchy, I was just saying that trusting Steam stats for something like X-Plane or DCS etc is not a good indication of usage for a sim that is available on other channels. Of course for Steam only games like FSW it holds much more weight.

In my personal opinion, FSW is already technically ahead of P3D v4.. and when I say P3D, I mean vanilla P3D with no addons. Considering P3D has been in development for several years now, I find DTG's progress very impressive in a much shorter space of time, and this is what excites me about the sim. Not only is it much much cheaper and available to the general public, it also looks much better as a default sim out of the box. Also for people who don't mind the term "fun" or "game", it's also both of those as well as a simulator.

Dude Tony

P3d is a gem

• Upvote 5

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

6 hours ago, pracines said:

Simple graph reading (scroll down to see the graphs) is all that is required, and concise information can be gathered:

https://steamdb.info/app/389280/graphs/

Stephen, You can check the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and yearly stats. The zoom selection at the top of both graphs are very easy to understand, just click to see the zoom level desired.

Alan, if the "stats" showed FSW having millions of players a day, you would suddenly call them the plain truth would you not?....don't lie LOL

There is no way to paint a successful outlook for FSW currently. One must ask, if the updates are making FSW better and better, then why the continued lack of interest?

I will say it again, I personally want FSW to succeed, and I will give DTG all the time it needs.

My bad, I thought you were talking about SteamSpy.

Although looking at the Steamdb charts eiher I'm reading something wrong, the charts don't agree, or the figure for 100 players is still average peak concurrent. The final graph showing an average players over two weeks usually is around 6000, meaning about 500 players a day.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Well guys, 

another great night mission in FSW last night while going through my Flight Trainning again :-)

Enjoying every bit as much as possible given the few time I have been having available to seat at the sim PC :-/

Also found an interesting video about an upcoming P-40 for FSW, by the aircraft devs themselves ( search for "FSW Live - P-40F" in the tube...(*) ), showing features / details of implementation, systems and flight modeling. It's already on my to-buy list :-)

As more offers by Just Flight, but also PMDG and FSLabs, maybe A2A and Aerosoft too ( ? ) comming to FSW, I can only expect my joy to grow in the near future :-)

(*) 2nd level, partial indirection - hope it doesn't break AVSIM's rules :-/

• Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

5 hours ago, rjfry said:

I am amazed how touchy people get when XP is mentioned, it been knocking around longer than FSX.  

I own XP11 and give it its full credit. I am also aware that it is sold directly through LR which skews its numbers on Steam. What I am pointing out is that for an EA title with very little to offer in its 3pd stable vs full release sims, FSW is holding its own.

The comparison to XP11 is a complimentary one, not a competitive one. Because as you pointed out, XP is it's own, and very necessary, platform. 

• Upvote 3

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

8 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Considering not a single post you made in this thread was favorable to FSW and you were even as bold as to direct people to FSX/MS Flight as a better alternative to FSW, makes your "support" of DTG hard to believe.

You are just here to do what you always do, start a sim war and tell people how much you think FSW sucks and will be cancelled.

I am glad that someone else noticed @pracines antics here in the forum. In another thread on FSW, I called out some contradictions in his post criticizing FSW; and his response was to brag about getting my "time and attention". So that let me know what his real intentions are behind his posts.

Much like you have done, I think most responses to his posts should be calling out his intentions.

11 hours ago, theohall65 said:

And how much did you pay for P3Dv4 and all those add-ons? It's a valid thing to consider when one looks at the price of FSW in comparison.

How much I pay for anything is my problem, not anyone else's, but my P3Dv4 setup is much more realistic than anybody's FSW setup. To have more realism available now is what matters to me at any cost.

If price is important to others, I'm glad they have less expensive options.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Considering not a single post you made in this thread was favorable to FSW and you were even as bold as to direct people to FSX/MS Flight as a better alternative to FSW, makes your "support" of DTG hard to believe.

You are just here to do what you always do, start a sim war and tell people how much you think FSW sucks and will be cancelled.

How would you want me to support DTG/FSW? By telling them how wonderful FSW is? I did my part in encouraging them long ago, and they have taken a path that was unexpected, and unpopular. Flight School died and FSW is an offshoot. What can I do now? There are about 100 people that are enjoying FSW, but a million more are enjoying the other flight sims.     

I never said FSW will be cancelled, I'm saying we have no idea if it will not be canceled, or will you claim you know for sure it will not be cancelled. 

You see I tell it as kindly as possible, but plainly as it is, as if I was face to face with Stephen Hood or you. Honesty and truth is the best policy. Todays politically correct speech and hand holding, is spoiling rotten the societies of the world and its proving to be disastrous. Look at the violence and bitterness that has resulted. I will not contribute to such foolishness, no way. You claiming that I always start "sim wars" is a perfect example of how spoiled you let yourself become.

If you think that FSW is fine and good right now, then please broadcast to DTG and the whole community, in several forums, that FSW is ready for release. Do it today since I'm so wrong....

42 minutes ago, pracines said:

... but my P3Dv4 setup is much more realistic than anybody's FSW setup.

That's because P3D has been in development for many years and has an SDK which allows third party developers to add to it.

20 minutes ago, pracines said:

I did my part in encouraging them long ago, and they have taken a path that was unexpected, and unpopular.

By encouraging them, I assume you mean you bought it - good for you for supporting it! What is the "unexpected and unpopular" path that DTG have taken with FSW?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, pracines said:

How would you want me to support DTG/FSW? By telling them how wonderful FSW is?

Here are some good ways to support DTG/FSW:

File bugs.

Post realistic and concrete suggestions for improvement.

Post positive feedback on the things you like.

Write reviews.

Support third party development by buying their products.

Help other users if they have questions/problems.

Report performance results.

Post config tweaks.

Use the development tools and upload content.

• Upvote 2

Barry Friedman

Buy 3d party products to support them...sure thing when my money tree bears fruit.

• Upvote 2

spacer.png

2 hours ago, pracines said:

If you think that FSW is fine and good right now, then please broadcast to DTG and the whole community, in several forums, that FSW is ready for release. Do it today since I'm so wrong....

Noone is claiming that, even DTG knows they have a long way to go. If you are happy with p3d and all your add-ons, stick with it, but you don't have to be all that salty on the FSW forums. Not the first time I see you acting like that. 

Most of us are really hoping DTG will succeed because we are not happy with the current state of the other sims. Most of them are taking too long to improve. But as you seem happy with P3D, you won't understand.

• Upvote 1