Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Revisiting FSW...

42 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Buy 3d party products to support them...sure thing when my money tree bears fruit.

No need for financial hardship. I think some devs have stuck their necks out making products for a new platform and I've chosen to factor that in to my purchase decisions.

Barry Friedman

7 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

I own XP11 and give it its full credit. I am also aware that it is sold directly through LR which skews its numbers on Steam. What I am pointing out is that for an EA title with very little to offer in its 3pd stable vs full release sims, FSW is holding its own.

It appears to have enough potential for me to hold off pulling the trigger on P3D for as long as possible. FSX:SE does a good job for me for the moment, and I'd rather not commit to a new platform until I have a clearer picture of where FSW is going.

• Upvote 3

Yep, if I go any other direction, as a xp9 and xpx owner, it's going to be xp11.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, pracines said:

How much I pay for anything is my problem, not anyone else's, but my P3Dv4 setup is much more realistic than anybody's FSW setup. To have more realism available now is what matters to me at any cost.

If price is important to others, I'm glad they have less expensive options.  

In other words comparing a less than $30 US product to a multi $100 US product and complaining about the less expensive one and being snarky instead of providing concrete feedback.

Brilliant!!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, theohall65 said:

In other words comparing a less than $30 US product to a multi $100 US product and complaining about the less expensive one and being snarky instead of providing concrete feedback.

Brilliant!!!

Let's not forget, an unfinished product. DTG intends to add more features to the core sim before releasing a final version.

People should at least wait until DTG releases it officially to start complaining it lacks features. Early-access is about giving feedback and reporting the issues you find. 

The real problem isn't not liking FSW, it really is coming here all the time to convince everyone FSW is about to fail, and there are plenty of better options to chose. Like everyone in here didn't know the other options, and if we are sticking here is because we think DTG can have a good simulator in 1 year or so.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, pracines said:

Todays politically correct speech and hand holding, is spoiling rotten the societies of the world and its proving to be disastrous. Look at the violence and bitterness that has resulted. I will not contribute to such foolishness, no way. You claiming that I always start "sim wars" is a perfect example of how spoiled you let yourself become.

You sound incoherent.

We are talking about a flight simulator. I have no idea what would have you so wound up. 

• Upvote 3

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

5 hours ago, Boomer said:

Yep, if I go any other direction, as a xp9 and xpx owner, it's going to be xp11.

Oh God, no, please don't. Given your many years of ragging on XP I don't think it would do anyone any good. In fact I'll go one stronger: I forbid it. Do you hear, Chris? You are forbidden from owning XP11.

:)

• Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

10 hours ago, pracines said:

Todays politically correct speech and hand holding, is spoiling rotten the societies of the world and its proving to be disastrous. Look at the violence and bitterness that has resulted. I will not contribute to such foolishness, no way.

Absolutely correct, and I'll be the first to slam political correctness at any opportunity I get, but what does that have to do with Flight Sim World in any way whatsoever?

You, I, or anyone else, is perfectly entitled to state opinions on anything they like, including FSW and DTG, because criticism, either positive or negative is useful. But the idea that doing so somehow makes one a crusader for truth and plain talk among a sea of injustices, is preposterous beyond imagining. This is a flight simulator we're talking about which is sold as a game, not some kind of libertarian battle at against oppression.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

19 hours ago, vortex681 said:

That's because P3D has been in development for many years and has an SDK which allows third party developers to add to it.

DTG could have made an SDK available for Flight School and by doing so FSW would likely have a large pool of 3PPs. Too many excuses being made for FSW's current lack of realism.

22 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

I am glad that someone else noticed @pracines antics here in the forum. In another thread on FSW, I called out some contradictions in his post criticizing FSW; and his response was to brag about getting my "time and attention". So that let me know what his real intentions are behind his posts.

Much like you have done, I think most responses to his posts should be calling out his intentions.

What you call contradictions is false, because there are plain facts, and there are opinions. I contradict your opinion and you don't agree.

Anybody's FSW setup lacks realism compared to my P3Dv4 setup. This statement bothers you, but it is a fact and an opinion that you cannot deny, therefore you personally attack because you have no other recourse available to you.

There may be some day that FSW can approach the realism available in P3Dv4, but at this rate it could take 2 years. While you wait I'm flying with greater and greater realism. But don't let this statement bother you so much, since you enjoy FSW as it is, be happy.

....antics of opinion and truth  

17 hours ago, ca_metal said:

Noone is claiming that, even DTG knows they have a long way to go. If you are happy with p3d and all your add-ons, stick with it, but you don't have to be all that salty on the FSW forums. Not the first time I see you acting like that. 

Most of us are really hoping DTG will succeed because we are not happy with the current state of the other sims. Most of them are taking too long to improve. But as you seem happy with P3D, you won't understand.

your being salty with me....what's the difference?

3 minutes ago, pracines said:

Anybody's FSW setup lacks realism compared to my P3Dv4 setup. This statement bothers you, but it is a fact and an opinion that you cannot deny, therefore you personally attack because you have no other recourse available to you.

There may be some day that FSW can approach the realism available in P3Dv4, but at this rate it could take 2 years. While you wait I'm flying with greater and greater realism. But don't let this statement bother you so much, since you enjoy FSW as it is, be happy.

Who's waiting, or even suggesting waiting? Is there anyone in this thread for whom FSW is the primary sim?  I very much doubt it.  Nobody has suggested you drop P3D and take up FSW instead, have they?

12 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

You sound incoherent.

We are talking about a flight simulator. I have no idea what would have you so wound up. 

you are off topic once again ...who's wound up? I was on topic for 2 days not attacking anyone, just sharing an opinion with some facts in contrast to the OP.

Like I said, since FSW is so great to you that you must attack me, then broadcast this by calling for the release of FSW today. 

Your problem is that you cannot defend your opinions or facts here, so you personally attack, but you will only do so on the net.

Now please remain on topic.  

Guys please keep this topic clean and get back on topic. Cheers

1 hour ago, pracines said:

DTG could have made an SDK available for Flight School and by doing so FSW would likely have a large pool of 3PPs. Too many excuses being made for FSW's current lack of realism.

They were never going to do that. Quite apart from the fact that it wouldn't be at all sensible to be having PMDG make massive airliners and A2A making Flying Fortresses and Constellations for a sim called Flight School, unless they changed its name to Embry-Riddle Simulator lol (not that such a concept wouldn't be cool). It would have only been of use to GA aeroplane TPDs.

It's obvious that Flight School was merely a proof of concept for testing the feasibility of sticking FSX (or more correctly ESP) into 64 Bit, and in doing so they decided to throw it out there to get a bit of money back. Nothing wrong with that, Flight School was inexpensive and it was okay for what it did, which was exactly what it said on the tin. Anyone who bought it got FSW for free, so there's no reason for anyone to feel miffed about that, as they've ended up with a foot in the door for a new sim at virtually no cost whatsoever, and one which has all of the content that came with Flight School already in it.

And I'm not sure what you mean by people making excuses for FSW lacking realism. How exactly does it lack realism? You can fly aeroplanes in it with the same (actually slightly better) flight modeling as FSX or P3D, it has slightly improved ATC over those two as well, it has slightly improved nav data than those two, it has better default terrain, it has better weather modeling including better rain and snow effects and they're on the windows of your aeroplane too for those who like that kind of thing. It has pretty much the same weather condition options as P3D does by default. You can buy add-on aeroplanes for it (not many at the moment, but they're coming), you can plan a flight and fly it IFR or VFR, You can land at the same amount of airports as in FSX and P3D. It has interactive checklists and the ability to set up cold and dark stuff from the GUI, which FSX and P3D do not have. Granted it could do with a few more graphics sliders, but as far as flight model realism sliders go, these are exactly the same as they are in FSX and P3D, supplemented by some additional AccuFeel stuff going on, which P3D does not have available for it, and is payware for FSX.

I'm not seeing too much different going on there in terms of realism compared to FSX or P3D, in fact one or two things are improved a bit, and it's not even finished yet, so far from needing excuses, it's actually pushing things forward. Sure it's got some way to go in terms of optimisation for the lighting and such, but those are doubtless coming.

Nobody's making excuses for its lack of realism. Because they don't need to; it's no less realistic than other flight simulators - in many respects it is better - showing lots of potential even at this point in its development.

Now having said that, getting trueSKY to work in it is clearly taking some effort, but DTG apparently have the determination to do so, because unless they were complete fools with no clue about software development, they will have studied the feasibility of that task before even commencing development. We know this to have been the case because we know the trueSKY folder was sat there ready to go in amongst the FSW folders right from the very first release. This would tend to indicate they've been well aware of the effort necessary to make it work since day one, and have that work scheduled. When they do get it working in real time, any suggestion of it lacking realism will be utterly preposterous, it'll be more realistic than any other flight sim out there with that feature in it, making every other flight sim's weather seem very poor in comparison.

It's an exciting prospect. I really can't see why anyone who likes flight simulation could fail to be thrilled by the possibilities it offers; the promise of a vastly more realistic depiction of the skies, one which genuinely does push flight simming forward considerably. A flight simulator which does that won't need to make excuses, it'll be every other flight sim that doesn't have such a feature which will have to do that.

• Upvote 6

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here