Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Revisiting FSW...

24 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Guys please keep this topic clean and get back on topic. Cheers

I agree, I have not responded and will not respond to @pracines in this thread...in an effort to do so. 

• Upvote 2

I believe that, just as about anything in Life... time will tell how even better FSW will become, and not only better but also accessible to more users who can't pay for Professional solutions like those provided by other platforms. Not saying they aren't great ( actually I have bought pretty much every version of P3D, for instance, and FSX, P3D in the form of monthly licenses, just ot test and decide...)

The upcoming SDK, weather engine, aircraft and mission add-ons will, I believe, contribute to a growth of interest from the flight simulation community in FSW.

I do not consider myself as a beginner in flight simulation, and I am actually known for being ( too... ) picky about my sim choices, and truth is that apart from ELITE and Condorsoaring, FSW is presently the only other civil sim I am using.

For me the reason is simple: for the minimal investment I did I get very plausible World scenery, even including airfields never available by default in FSX or P3D, a nice weather rendering ( for my liking ) that I look fwd to combine with a weather engine to be released, a set of nice GAs, complemented with the Arrow III I just purchased, good performance even with traffic enabled.

My rig is an old i5 2500, and the graphics card a GTX 960, so, I couldn't ask for more...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 minute ago, jcomm said:

For me the reason is simple: for the minimal investment I did I get very plausible World scenery, even including airfields never available by default in FSX or P3D, a nice weather rendering ( for my liking ) that I look fwd to combine with a weather engine to be released, a set of nice GAs, complemented with the Arrow III I just purchased, good performance even with traffic enabled.

My rig is an old i5 2500, and the graphics card a GTX 960, so, I couldn't ask for more...

Whatever the final version will look like (weather, ground enhancements etc.), I think that FSW has carved out a niche experience that aligns with what you stated.

It is a low cost investment, with very well designed default aircraft, missions and great tutorials. I just think that this initial offering appeals to newbies more than the competitors. Even in the early stages, FSW has a welcoming feel and enough features to assure a simmer that DTG is a serious player.

As FSW continues to grow and expand with 3rd Party Devs, I think that it will begin to pull in some of the veteran simmers. It seems like DTG is building from the ground up (even with focus on their SDK) and I believe that this approach will eventually put FSW in a position to appeal to a broad base of simmers.. Like I have said, no other DEV has seemed to progress so much in such a small frame of time. 

• Upvote 4

@ pracines: I see you are willing to get the most professional solutions so I would like to point you to a very interesting product available for more or less the same price of P3D and a few add-ons of quality - Airlinetools A32X

They just released three new videos showing the detail on systems modeling:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Every time a new version of Prepar3D comes out, all developers must update their products, this is absurd! 

CASE: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 MB: Msi Z590 Tomahawk CPU: Intel i7 11700K RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 2400 MHz COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 HD: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB GPU: Nvidia (Asus A8G) GTX 1080 PSU: Cooler Master V750 FAN: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB (x4).

302318.png     Lorenzo Guidotti

17 minutes ago, Lorenzog said:

Every time a new version of Prepar3D comes out, all developers must update their products, this is absurd! 

Good point. LM chose to walk backwards into the future (and that's one of the reasons I've uninstalled P3D).

26 minutes ago, Lorenzog said:

Sigh...

Once more 'high-end' addons are released for FSW it's very likely that they will also need updating.  Simply put, with FSW at the minute there is nothing to update.  If i only used Carenado in P3D  there is a good chance it would work without any updates.

11 minutes ago, torium said:

Good point. LM chose to walk backwards into the future (and that's one of the reasons I've uninstalled P3D).

What does this even mean?  LM, are constantly updating the platform, i don't doubt for one minute that they have there commercial customers in mind, but ultimately we all benefit.

This discussion on P3D v FSW reminds me of the insults being hurled in my country presently regarding the Brexit deal/no deal.  One side insults the other, whilst being entirely unaware that they are also insulting the other side.

Ian R Tyldesley

2 hours ago, Lorenzog said:

This is the reason why I have yet to update to v4.1. I am waiting for some major changes before having to update P3D + all the addons. v4.0 is running fine for me.

Yeah, having to manually update everything when a major version comes out is really a pain. That's the reason I like it being distributed through Steam. This way DTG is fully responsible for the compatibility of all their DLCs/Add-ons sold there.

X-plane, FSW and Aerofly follow this same rule, you don't have to worry about compatibilities.

• Upvote 2

Now that v1.0 of the SDK is released, we'll see what comes.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy