Sign in to follow this  
vhrob

Operations Centre has gone

Yesterday I purchased and installed Queen of The Skies. No problem with installation and during installation the Operations Centre appeared with update notifications for both the QOS and my 737NGX (which I have had for some time) and I updated both.

When I went to read the QOS documentation though, PMDG has disappeared from the Start menu. No 737NGX, no QOS, no Operations Centre.

I can find the documentation by going into the PMDG folder in FSX (Steam edition in my case) but how do I get the Operations Centre back?

Rob Stevenson. 

3 hours ago, vhrob said:

Yesterday I purchased and installed Queen of The Skies. No problem with installation and during installation the Operations Centre appeared with update notifications for both the QOS and my 737NGX (which I have had for some time) and I updated both.

When I went to read the QOS documentation though, PMDG has disappeared from the Start menu. No 737NGX, no QOS, no Operations Centre.

I can find the documentation by going into the PMDG folder in FSX (Steam edition in my case) but how do I get the Operations Centre back?

Rob Stevenson. 

you havnt  got  norton  as  your  av  have  you by any chance?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

9 hours ago, vhrob said:

This is the result of either Windows 10 dropping it from the Start Menu (I think they fixed this in one of their more recent updates), or your AV program deciding everything it doesn't recognize (essentially your browser, and a handful of well-known programs like Office) is a virus, and needs to be removed, without telling you this (or asking you).

If you're using aftermarket AV, I strongly recommend removing it. Win Defender is more than capable, is free (that's an extra sim plane, or a couple airports, per year, at the price of most AV subscriptions I've seen), and has a well-balanced stance when it comes to protection (i.e. won't remove things at random, just because it feels like it that day).

Kyle Rodgers

13 hours ago, vhrob said:

how do I get the Operations Centre back?

If your AV didn't remove it, it should be in the Program Files (x86)\PMDG Operations Center folder.  Create a desktop shortcut or pin to either your start menu or the task bar. Many options besides the canned start menu item.

Dan Downs KCRP

Partial success I think. 

Re the AV being the culprit. I use McAfee and I realise I should have turned it off during the download.

However, I have found the PMDG Operations Centre folder now. Curiously it finished up in my SSD instead of the drive which is the default for all my other programmes, and where the main QOS package, is installed. Perhaps I missed a path selection for it during the installation.

I guess I can just right click and select "Pin to Start"?

Rob Stevenson

A follow up question. Probably a dumb one.

If I pin the Op Centre application to the Start, will it still know where to find all the other components in the PMDG Operations Centre folder, like the product modules and the Updater?

Will I also need to pin the Ops Centre Updater to the Start?

Rob

If I pin the Op Centre application to the Start, will it still know where to find all the other components in the PMDG Operations Centre folder, like the product modules and the Updater?

Pinning it to the Start Menu only tells Win where to find the OC. The OC will know where to find the rest once Win calls on it.

Will I also need to pin the Ops Centre Updater to the Start?

Not required. The OC will call on its own updater as required, when required.

Kyle Rodgers