Sign in to follow this  
AirCanada235

Virtual Reality in P3D with PMDG Machines

Gentlemen,

I am wondering if those of you out there in the know have any experience with VR setups in P3Dv4 - specifically with PMDG built machines.  Was looking at the FlyInside software coupled with an Occulas Rift but wanted to hear some first hand accounts of how things look and feel and just generally operate as a whole.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

42 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

I am wondering if those of you out there in the know have any experience with VR setups in P3Dv4 - specifically with PMDG built machines.  Was looking at the FlyInside software coupled with an Occulas Rift but wanted to hear some first hand accounts of how things look and feel and just generally operate as a whole.

I think Jason and Vin both like it (Jason recently got his). I'm entertained by it. FlyInside is great for FSX and P3D-non-native, but v4.1 has it built in, so I just use P3Dv4.1's native function when I do use it. I don't use it that often, though. I'll have to do some more tweaking to get it to perform slightly better.

Kyle Rodgers

Just now, AirCanada235 said:

@scandinavian13 Do you think it is is  worthwhile investment or more of a gimmick?

I like it, but I use it more for Project Cars and Elite Dangerous (here and there), than I do in the sim. It might just be how I've set it up, but the text can be pretty blurry at times. It's definitely pretty cool, though.

Kyle Rodgers

I for one love VR flying when you don't have to fiddle with buttons, read gauges, tweak things, etc (which you have to do A LOT of in a commercial liner such as the PMDG birds).  I'll hop in the F-22 with VR all day and play around, cuz I don't have to mess with the VC at all.  This is where VR really shines.  I definitely recommend it, just don't think it suits instrument flying very well

2 minutes ago, blaird22 said:

I'll hop in the F-22 with VR all day and play around, cuz I don't have to mess with the VC at all.  This is where VR really shines.

Yes! Agreed!

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

P3D 4.1 native VR allows you to hop in and out of VR whenever you want, so you can do all the flight planning on 2D mode. That is what I do and I would never go back to using just the monitor!

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Flying the PMDG airplanes in VR is absolutely awesome! I highly recommend it. The best performance, frame rate wise, is the 737, followed by the 777. The 747 appears to be the most demanding in PC performance, but it is my favorite, and I fly it often. Ever since I got the Oculus, I’ve never gone back to the Track IR! It is absolutely amazing! 

Ray

10 minutes ago, Bones309th said:

Flying the PMDG airplanes in VR is absolutely awesome! I highly recommend it. The best performance, frame rate wise, is the 737, followed by the 777. The 747 appears to be the most demanding in PC performance, but it is my favorite, and I fly it often. Ever since I got the Oculus, I’ve never gone back to the Track IR! It is absolutely amazing! 

Ray

Excellent thank you all very much and thanks Bones.  Looks like you and I also play with this hobby in the real world.  What do you operate?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

Excellent thank you all very much and thanks Bones.  Looks like you and I also play with this hobby in the real world.  What do you operate?

The A320 man! I still have that childhood curiosity of how other airplanes fly! You?

• Upvote 2

777.  Truth be told - I always wanted to fly a "bus".  I always used to marvel at the level of automation and decrease in workload that airbus built in to the airplane.  The protection systems are amazing and still to this day amaze me.  That said, best airplane I have ever flown - hands down would be the MD-80.  That is a pilots airplane.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AirCanada235 said:

777.  Truth be told - I always wanted to fly a "bus".  I always used to marvel at the level of automation and decrease in workload that airbus built in to the airplane.  The protection systems are amazing and still to this day amaze me.  That said, best airplane I have ever flown - hands down would be the MD-80.  That is a pilots airplane.

777?! Wow man, you’re flying with the big boys! 😆 That’s awesome Dave! I love a Boeing man. I flew the 727 freighter on all three seats, and that was my old time favorarte! It was fast and if you can see the airport, you can land on it! I’m hoping JetBlue gets a wide body some day.  I’d like a chance to fly one before I retire. The Airbus is the easiest airplane I’ve ever flown. Can make you a very lazy pilot! 😆 

Yeah man, get that Oculus setup. I love that thing! The resolution could be better, but man, the level of immersion is unbelievable! I fly DCS World as well, and that in VR is an amazing experience! So far the best performers in VR is DCS World and Aerofly FS2. Don’t get me wrong, P3D V4 is awesome in itself, but as far as the lighting,  and the smooth frame rates, I think those two are the best. Also, Navigraph is a must if you’re going to fly P3D V4 with FlyInside. You can import that window and is like having your own EFB in the airplane. Is awesome! I know I’m an aviation geek! 😂 

Ray

• Upvote 1

I am running P3D with an HTC Vive and the experience is very immersive.  PMDG aircraft plus high quality addon scenery requires a lot of CPU and GPU horsepower.  I am able to get good results in the P3D native VR on my system (i7-7700 CPU, GTX 1080).  I tried Flyinside as well, but found that it didn't help performance and caused blurry textures.  Other people have found Flyinside to help performance, so give the demo a try.

Bill Rowe

Thinking about taking the plunge, is the Rift the way to go? I know 8K VR headsets are on the way soon, but Xmas is around the corner and this would be neat to have under the tree. 

What gear is best?