Sign in to follow this  
AirCanada235

Virtual Reality in P3D with PMDG Machines

It seems that the Rift does offer a slightly better experience from what I`ve heard, but its nothing major. They are pretty similar.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

3 hours ago, Angelo Cosma said:

Thinking about taking the plunge, is the Rift the way to go? I know 8K VR headsets are on the way soon, but Xmas is around the corner and this would be neat to have under the tree. 

What gear is best?

Angelo, I have the Riff. Don’t know any others. Perhaps someone in the forum has compared the two and can give you better info. Native VR for me in P3D V4 was not good at all! I was getting lots of video stutters and the frame rates sucked! 

Ray

13 hours ago, Bones309th said:

Angelo, I have the Riff. Don’t know any others. Perhaps someone in the forum has compared the two and can give you better info. Native VR for me in P3D V4 was not good at all! I was getting lots of video stutters and the frame rates sucked! 

Ray

What is your rig configuration?

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

i have an occulus rift with a high end pc , i use my vr for taxing, take off and landing, sometimes it s really hard for my eyes, but in an pmdg cockpit it s just amazing

p3dv4.1 un vr native mode

Frédéric Giraud

18 hours ago, tgcbraun said:

What is your rig configuration?

I have an i7 7700K with an Nvidia 1080, and 32 Gigs of RAM. 

Ray

Thanks gents.  Occulas RIft ordered and on its way.

Happy holidays and blue side up always,

2 hours ago, Bones309th said:

I have an i7 7700K with an Nvidia 1080, and 32 Gigs of RAM. 

Ray

Well, I have a similar config and everything is usually pretty smooth and its hard to find a sim loaded with more add-ons than mine. I do get some hiccups eventuality (Especially with the FSLABS), but the general experience is very good.

10 hours ago, tgcbraun said:

Well, I have a similar config and everything is usually pretty smooth and its hard to find a sim loaded with more add-ons than mine. I do get some hiccups eventuality (Especially with the FSLABS), but the general experience is very good.

Are you running P3D V4 with Flyinside or native? What are your frame rates like with the PMDG 74? I also get flashes every now and then. Are you getting those?

Ray

I am running exclusively on native VR. I don`t measure frames, but outside of VR i have locked the frames to 30 and they usually stay there, unless I am using the FSLABS A320. On VR, the experience is generally very smooth, again, with the exception being the A320 on big cities or with lots of clouds around. The PMDGs work flawlessly for me.

Try locking your frames on 30. For me it helped a lot with the stutters.

On 12/6/2017 at 11:44 AM, scandinavian13 said:

Yes! Agreed!

You're more in tune with this than I probably am. Wasn't there a hardware device in the works where a user would wear a glove and in turn they would see a virtual hand in their sim? This way they could wear a VR headset and use virtual hands to control the aircraft. I think this was a year or more back I saw something like this being demoed online.

Eric 

I'm also considering the rift for Christmas this year but I remember hearing that the resolution wasn't quite good enough to read the mfds or gauges. Is that true or is it much more clear now?  Basically I'd like to know if I can fly ifr with it  (even though I know most of the awe effect comes from the vfr flying).  

Thanks

6 hours ago, B777ER said:

You're more in tune with this than I probably am. Wasn't there a hardware device in the works where a user would wear a glove and in turn they would see a virtual hand in their sim? This way they could wear a VR headset and use virtual hands to control the aircraft. I think this was a year or more back I saw something like this being demoed online.

Not sure about wearing a glove but I know with a program called flyinside and a piece of hardware called leap you can have a hand in the cockpit. 2 actually.

6 hours ago, CptAWatts22 said:

I'm also considering the rift for Christmas this year but I remember hearing that the resolution wasn't quite good enough to read the mfds or gauges. Is that true or is it much more clear now?  Basically I'd like to know if I can fly ifr with it  (even though I know most of the awe effect comes from the vfr flying).  

Thanks

Of course the resolution could be better, but I do not have any problem flying big jets on VR! Sometimes you need to lean forward, but that is exactly what you do in a real cockpit. With Chaseplane you can also move around on the cockpit, so this is really not an issue for me.

15 hours ago, CptAWatts22 said:

Not sure about wearing a glove but I know with a program called flyinside and a piece of hardware called leap you can have a hand in the cockpit. 2 actually.

Leap Motion. https://www.leapmotion.com

Now wouldn't it be cool to fly with virtual hands, turn all the knobs, switches, control the Yoke and throttles, etc... Not sure if that is possible but it would negate the need for any hardware for that type of stuff. 

Eric 

On 9.12.2017 at 5:47 AM, AirCanada235 said:

Thanks gents.  Occulas RIft ordered and on its way.

Happy holidays and blue side up always,

Knocking off is nothing a pilot would ever think about, huh? :D

My cousin flies the 737 in Europe and she's with P3D now, too... and on board the PMDG NGX lol. Not sure about VR but I wouldn't be surprised... 

Pilots... some kind of weird species... :D