Sign in to follow this  
AirCanada235

Virtual Reality in P3D with PMDG Machines

Has anyone tried the Pimax 4k VR headset?  This boasts much better resolution than HTC or Oculus so in theory should give you a better view of instruments when flying?

Cheers

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Folks,

My son-in-law, just retired off the Alaska pipe line. He was in corrosion maint..  He talked about the VR headset, and 2 gloves. Don't know the details, but it was spendy.

Jerry Friz

So exciting news to some degree - while away on my last pairing, my Oculas arrived.  SUPER excited!!  Tried it out in P3D and that "other platform - X" and was very impressed with P3D and not so much with the other.  One question that I do have for you VR experts, is there any way in which to make the displays on the PMDG birds a bit clearer?  I get that it wont be as clear as what I am normally used to but I find that I really need to lean in to see the displays clearly.  Any thoughts on help would be much appreciated.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:29 PM, AirCanada235 said:

So exciting news to some degree - while away on my last pairing, my Oculas arrived.  SUPER excited!!  Tried it out in P3D and that "other platform - X" and was very impressed with P3D and not so much with the other.  One question that I do have for you VR experts, is there any way in which to make the displays on the PMDG birds a bit clearer?  I get that it wont be as clear as what I am normally used to but I find that I really need to lean in to see the displays clearly.  Any thoughts on help would be much appreciated.

Dave, what pixel density are you running it at? I run mine at 1.5. I gotta be honest though, I went back to the Track IR with P3D man. Seems that lately I’ve been having lots of stutters and visual jerking that I can’t figure out how to get rid of. This is despite good frame rates. Is just happening with P3D V4 with any airplane. 

Ray

What about the Windows Mixed reality headsets? Has anyone tried any of these? I know they have slightly better resolution. I got the HMD Odyssey, but my pc is i7-975 so it can't run the headset, even with my 1080 FTW. So I haven't tried it yet. I intend to get a new pc in the future when i have available funds. But can anyone chime in as to comparison between the MR headsets and Rift/Vive, especially regarding flightsims?

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Gents,

I recently acquired a Rift + touch setup as a christmas gift from The Lovely Dr. Randazzo (and our daughter- who has NO designs on taking the thing over... nope... none...)  I've messed about with it quite a bit lately- and it is pretty neat.

I have enjoyed some of the games that give you that tingling fear-of-heights sensation, and I have devoured all of the space station based stuff (ISS and Lone Echo, for example) but I just don't see how they are going to translate cleanly to games like Battlefield, where motion, pivot and accuracy of pointing are the keys to survival.  I just don't see them getting adopted in that kind of environment for a few more generations of hardware improvement.  (Keep in mind, however that I dismissed the camera-phone, iPod, iPhone, youTube and Facebook as "passing fads that will never catch on" you can take my skepticism with a grain of salt. <cough>) :cool:

As for what all of us do in simming:  I think we will need to see 4K before the VC's really start to shine, as I find the text gets a bit blurry unless you lean in, currently.  Ignoring that, the view is pretty convincing, and I like the effect overall.  Once they become more adapted to our kind of simming environment, I can see them causing a greater degree of integration between the interior/exterior/avatar modes as users push for a "first person" experience that can include such things as conducting your walk-around and boarding the airplane through a cabin proper.  (And for those of you who like sitting in back looking out a window... yes... that too...)

I do like how you can pop in/out of it using Prepar3D though.  That will come in handy for simmers as I can see wanting to use the headset during the start and finish of flying but perhaps not for the entire 12hrs to Tokyo.  I haven't tried it in XPlane yet- but perhaps this weekend...

• Upvote 2

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

7 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

As for what all of us do in simming:  I think we will need to see 4K before the VC's really start to shine, as I find the text gets a bit blurry unless you lean in, currently.  Ignoring that, the view is pretty convincing, and I like the effect overall.  Once they become more adapted to our kind of simming environment, I can see them causing a greater degree of integration between the interior/exterior/avatar modes as users push for a "first person" experience that can include such things as conducting your walk-around and boarding the airplane through a cabin proper.  (And for those of you who like sitting in back looking out a window... yes... that too...)

I do like how you can pop in/out of it using Prepar3D though.  That will come in handy for simmers as I can see wanting to use the headset during the start and finish of flying but perhaps not for the entire 12hrs to Tokyo.  I haven't tried it in XPlane yet- but perhaps this weekend...

Regarding the blurriness, be sure to set Oculus Tray Tool/Debug Tool to SuperSample at 1,6 or 1,8, as this really helps with the overall clarity.

As for being able to turn VR on/off, I agree that this is a great feature. I use VR basically for take-off/climb and approach/landing, going back to the monitor for cruise. Do try X-Plane`s implementation, which is imho more advanced and makes great use of the touch controls. It is still a preview, so you might have to reduce your settings significantly to achieve stable 45 fps (mandatory requirement to enjoy VR in XP11).

Now, I don´t want to inject any controversy into this topic, but after some tweaks and "special moves", I was able to start the DC-6 from cold and dark yesterday with the touch controls and it is a remarkable experience! Mostly switches and knobs work good! Nevertheless, the default airplanes such as the C172/737 are still the showcase here. 

Hopefully LM will also add support for the touch controls soon enough.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

12 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Now, I don´t want to inject any controversy into this topic, but after some tweaks and "special moves", I was able to start the DC-6 from cold and dark yesterday with the touch controls and it is a remarkable experience! Mostly switches and knobs work good! Nevertheless, the default airplanes such as the C172/737 are still the showcase here. 

Hopefully LM will also add support for the touch controls soon enough.

(What happened to your sig?  I know you usually have your name in there- you mind fixing that?  I hate not being able to address people by name, and I'm horrible at remembering them.  :ph34r:)

YES- this is precisely what I think is so exciting about the technology.  Starting the DC-3 in any flight simulation is always very easy and anti-climactic.  <click>+<click>+<click> and off you go.

In the real world, it takes three fingers working independently on one hand (held backward, which makes it interesting) and the other hand has to keep dancing between levers to keep things operating until the engine stabilizes.  I can see this becoming an INCREDIBLE experience for simmers using VR- and I am unreasonably excited about the prospects on both platforms.

Thanks for the tips on blurriness- I'll give them a shot tonight while I continue flying the debug version of  the 747-8...

• Upvote 2

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

6 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

(What happened to your sig?  I know you usually have your name in there- you mind fixing that?  I hate not being able to address people by name, and I'm horrible at remembering them.  :ph34r:)

YES- this is precisely what I think is so exciting about the technology.  Starting the DC-3 in any flight simulation is always very easy and anti-climactic.  <click>+<click>+<click> and off you go.

In the real world, it takes three fingers working independently on one hand (held backward, which makes it interesting) and the other hand has to keep dancing between levers to keep things operating until the engine stabilizes.  I can see this becoming an INCREDIBLE experience for simmers using VR- and I am unreasonably excited about the prospects on both platforms.

Thanks for the tips on blurriness- I'll give them a shot tonight while I continue flying the debug version of  the 747-8...

I did not have my name on my sig and used to place it manually just for this forum. Now I do, sorry about that...

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

On 5-1-2018 at 4:49 AM, rsrandazzo said:

I think we will need to see 4K before the VC's really start to shine

Sir, your wonderful NGX already shines in my rift, today, as we speak, in FSX:SE with Flyinside (in my case). Thank you for having created this masterpiece. I have flown it regularly since day 1 of release back in 2010 but only since I started my VR adventure a few months ago I am actually feeling to be in command of a heavy flying machine. 

Yes. perhaps blurry, but nevertheless, your aircraft shines already with first generation VR. Flightsimming (in general) and VR is a match made in Heaven. It should of course only get better with more K's in resolution but it's not a deal-breaker when it's not there yet i think.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable