Sign in to follow this  
SO666

strange control issue

Hi.

Today i did a flight in the DC-6A full cargo 1000gal fuel in each main flying from BIIS to BIRK with ASN giveing real weather .

My controls go through FSUIPC  for Aileron/Rudder/Elevator/Throttles/trims/Prop , the weather was 21knts crosswind heavy snow , using wet takeoff.

As i lifted of and retracted the gear and flaps to 15 banking hard left to go down the fjordur and miss the mountains , vis was 5nm oc at 300ft , once i got into cloud , my VSI was going from full nose up to full nose down in a second , my only true indication to actual dive or climb was my ASI , if it increased to quickly i knew i was decending , and yes i had my pitot heat on.

Also the aircraft started doing a righthand turn and did not seem to respond to control imputs , yet if i went to outside view my controls where responding to my controller inputs , i can only assume i had a corrupted weather download from ASN that somehow corrupted the aircraft so it did not respond to controls, as soon as i turned ASN off and did fair weather , i regained control of aircraft.

As anyone else had this happen , i know there is no direct connection between ASN and the aircraft , my susspiction is it happens through sim connect.

regards Alan Cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Active sky sliders for turbulence, downdrafts, etc., should all be to the left around 20% of full scale.  If you have full scale settings then you will get unrealistic conditions.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan.

Yep they where turned way down ages ago as i knew about this issue in ASN , but thanks all the same for pointing this out.

regards Alan Cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Alan, I've never had any control issues with my controllers assigned and calibrated in P3D.  The part where you say you lost climb/descent is due to your reliance on the VSI, which should only be used for trends.  The altimeter is the best instrument you have for detecting climb/decent.  I cannot guess at the uncommanded right turn except that I am guessing at this point you were lost in an unusual attitude.  You said you were IMC... are you on an instrument departure?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan.

IFR rules as visability was down to 5nm and oc down to 300ft  in heavy snow, the VSI was acting up as if i had iced up pitots which i had put on prior to departure , Att indicator showed slight climb and hard right bank , that could not be levelled as i tried to level off down the fjordur towards the NDB which was indicating the hdg i needed , that  i tried to head towards but aircraft failed to respond to controls input , but VSI going from full down to full up in 1 second , is quicker than the aircraft can change attitude , so knew i could not relie on it , yet it was working fine till i went into the oc cloud . i thought my controls had stoped working till i went to outside view , and confirmed they where moving the flight controls correctly , but aircraft was refusing to react to this imput , till the ASN was turned off.

I have had a similar problem with the A2A connie in similar weather conditions , but not all the time , thats why i suspect a corrupted weather download that effects these high end aircraft via simconnect some how , as there is no direct connection between aircraft and the weather engine .

regards Alan Cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

18 hours ago, SO666 said:

My controls go through FSUIPC

This is likely the problem.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle.

I personally dont think so , as problem disappeared when ASN was turned off and fair weather selected , and it does not happen consistantly , which is what i would expect from an FSUIPC problem , this is why i suspect a corrupt weather download , which caused this issue , as a lot of high end aircraft add ons and ASN and FSUIPC relie on simconnect.

My reasoning , rightly or wrongly , is that the corrupt weather download corrupts the simconnect some how , and  while that corrupt weather download is there , in my case i was downloading real weather every 15 min , the temporary corrupt simconnect then corrupts the controls of whichever aircraft i am flying , in this particular instance it was the DC-6A

You know more about programming than i do , so i would like to know why you suspect FSUIPC as the likely cause , over a corrupt weather update , if the problem disappears when ASN is turned off , and fair weather selected.

Regards Alan Cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

5 minutes ago, SO666 said:

You know more about programming than i do , so i would like to know why you suspect FSUIPC as the likely cause , over a corrupt weather update , if the problem disappears when ASN is turned off , and fair weather selected.

Alan,

It is considered proper form to, when requesting help from other people, take the recommendations and roll with them. To be a bit blunt, your push back doesn't quite make sense. If your gut instinct were going to get the issue solved, then you wouldn't have posted, because your gut instinct would have solved it. This isn't the case, though, and you're requesting that other people provide feedback on how to get an issue solved. When those other people provide feedback, take it, try it, and provide feedback on how it did, or didn't, work. If this were a theoretical exercise, a little bit of a joust of the logic behind suggestions would be all well and good, but that isn't what this is.

Sending your controls through FSUIPC can do all kinds of weird things if they're improperly configured. If I recall, you had some kind of weird brake creep issue, and that was related to FSUIPC - right? The tool is immensely powerful, but if used improperly, can cause all kinds of issues. If I recall further, you have FSUIPC doing all kinds of custom stuff to your flight dynamics in the sim in order to make the aircraft behave 'realistically' according to your impression of how they 'should' behave. That kind of flight dynamic editing is going to cause issues with aircraft using custom coding like ours.

You may be correct that ASN is causing something weird. All the same, the number of times I've seen inexplicable aircraft behavior in your posts, and your heavy reliance on a program that is known to cause all kinds of odd aircraft behavior, leads me to believe that it is FSUIPC.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle.

Yes i do suffer brake creep in the DC-6 , and no its not FSUIPC causeing that issue , as i did reluctantly temporary remove FSUIPC from the sim , and the creep was the same , what did reduce the creep distance , was familiararity with the run up checks , so i get through them more quickly , which in turn ruduced the amount of creep , but its still there  , i dont do lua scripts for my controls , only thing i do to get different aircraft behaviour is the slope value on ail/ele/rud controls , and its a case of trial and error to get the feel of the aircraft to what i think it should be like , and also try to find info on how the real aircraft should behave , sometimes by watching videos of the real aircraft , and my control set ups are simple and basic , not complex at all , its just that you can set more basic controls in FSUIPC than you can in FSX .

As a note my slope value on the DC-6 was set to +3 , but have since changed this to +1 after seeing a video of a DC-6 at an airshow.

All i was asking on this problem was if anyone else had suffered similar issues , i am not blameing any aircraft addon as i dont think they are to blame for this issue .

It may boil down to some ASN setting that some of us have set and others dont , as i know about the turbulance settings in ASN can cause issues , i have these turned down , but they may not be low enough for the DC-6 aircraft , i know i turned them down a lot after getting similar problems on the A2A connie , and the settings i have now fixed the connies behaviour , but your DC-6 might require these settings to be even lower , to prevent issues like this , but at this time that is pure speculation.

If you have any recommended settings for FSX/P3D regarding ail/ele/rud settings regarding null zone/sensitivity , and any recommend ASN settings , for the DC-6 that i could try , as i noticed nothing like this info in the docs .

Regards Alan Cottrill.

Alan Cottrill.

Alan, I recommend the pitch roll and yaw controllers be assigned and calibrated directly in P3D.  There is no need for, and in fact you should not, modify controller response curves because the flight dynamics of the DC6 were designed by Alexander to provide correct control response to basic controller inputs.  Calibrate to make sure there is a full span and correctly centered, no null is required but I usually add 3-5% null zone to yaw (pedals).  Keep it simple.

The only complication I add is that when I set up my axes, buttons and key commands for the DC6 I will save the control configuration, and reload it when I fly the DC6.  It is a different configuration from the jets in that the throttle controller slider is assigned to propeller pitch instead of speed brakes, so I have different configurations saved for prop, twin jet and quad jet.  It takes 3 sec to load a saved configuration... easy.  No need to have FSUIPC do it automatically..., it's just not that hard.

Dan Downs KCRP