Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Need MB advice - Z370

I feel quite comfortable with my selections on other components but am a deer in the headlights when it comes to the motherboard.  What is everyone recommending as the MB of choice for a Coffee Lake 8700K build......let's keep the price reasonable if possible.  thanks

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I ended up getting the gigabyte auros gaming 7 z370 mobo.

I was reading that this board had the least amount of issues with Vdroop like the other boards were having. Apparently its a known thing with the z370 boards.

It's held up well for me and I can't complain.

I was orginally looking at some of the ASUS z370 boards...but like I said, reviews  weren't compelling enough for me.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Asrock is really becoming a contender.  Their boards are quality and priced aggressively 

asus falls short lately per reviews and pricing.  Not impressed.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This topic is right up my alley: I'm getting real close to an upgrade.

I've used Asus board for years now. Before, it was MSI. I've been very happy with Asus.

I'm looking at one of the Asus Maximus X series boards. From what I've read, they seem very nice, but somewhat expensive. I like the 2x M.2 slots (one with a built-in heatsink), the high-in audio and built-on backplane.

Since I'm averaging 5+ years on a build, I think I can justify the extra cost.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I am in the middle of building my new system. Just waiting on the case to arrive tomorrow. I went with the MSI Z370 M5 Gaming and 8700K. I was going to buy the gigabyte auros Z370 series until I seen several reviews online of them having temperature spike issues.  

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Does it matter if you get the ultra, 5 or 7 ?

I picked up the 7 because microcenter had it for 50 dollars off. I got it for 199. Newegg at the time was selling it for 249.

I figured what the hell.

I couldn't tell you more than that. The board was getting really solid reviews at the time. This was the last week in October.

My board overclocked the 8700k to 5 ghz quite easily. There is a guide somewhere I used....if you end up getting this board, I'll go through the effort to find it for you.

The only gripe I habe with the board is that the rgb lighting software looks clunky and is sometimes a chore. However it looks darn good though!

The board recognized my memory and loaded it's xmp profile with ease. No issues there.

It feels like it's made of quality product for sure! No bending when putting the 1080 ti in or when slotting RAM.

• Upvote 1

Matt kubanda

1 minute ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I picked up the 7 because microcenter had it for 50 dollars off. I got it for 199. Newegg at the time was selling it for 249.

I figured what the hell.

I couldn't tell you more than that. The board was getting really solid reviews at the time. This was the last week in October.

My board overclocked the 8700k to 5 ghz quite easily. There is a guide somewhere I used....if you end up getting this board, I'll go through the effort to find it for you.

The only gripe I habe with the board is that the rgb lighting software looks clunky and is sometimes a chore. However it looks darn good though!

The board recognized my memory and loaded it's xmp profile with ease. No issues there.

It feels like it's made of quality product for sure! No bending when putting the 1080 ti in or when slotting RAM.

If I remember from your other posts you did not delid.  Are you using liquid cooling or air?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

@MarkW

Also, if you plan on using any m.2 nvme pci-e drives, there are some interesting bandwith conundrums that I ran into.

It's nothing major, just that the way I interpreted the manual, there was only one slot that took full advantage of the m.2 drive. The crappy part was that the heatsink that the board comes with for an m.2 drive wouldn't fit the slot I needed to use.

Matt kubanda

3 minutes ago, MarkW said:

If I remember from your other posts you did not delid.  Are you using liquid cooling or air?

You're correct. No delid.

I'm seeing upper 60s low 70s while simming. Other games which don't use the cpu, it doesn't really go over high 50s maybe low 60s.

Thst being said, I chose the NZXT Kraken x62 AIO 280mm cooler.

The looks of the cooler are amazing and really add a new, modern look to your pc.

Matt kubanda

8 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

@MarkW

Also, if you plan on using any m.2 nvme pci-e drives, there are some interesting bandwith conundrums that I ran into.

It's nothing major, just that the way I interpreted the manual, there was only one slot that took full advantage of the m.2 drive. The crappy part was that the heatsink that the board comes with for an m.2 drive wouldn't fit the slot I needed to use.

Planning on Samsung EVO 850 drives which I will move from my current machine.  I think I have 3 of them in there now and will move over 2 for P3D v3 and v4.....gotta keep v3 for Concorde.

Mark W   CYYZ      

14 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

asus boards lately are just "meh"

and you pay more for the name

asus falls short lately per reviews and pricing.  Not impressed.

Not that I've seen. In most of the reviews they are at the top re performance. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than some brands, but the top Asus boards are replete with features.