Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Hump flyer

The Curtiss C46 Commando was one of the most well known transports used for flying "the Hump" (India - China) in WWII. Libardo Guzman's freeware C46 is a fun plane to fly, however "lite" it's systems modelling may be. Anyhow I wanted my own personalised C46  and thanks to Willy McCoy's excellent, generic-passenger C46 scheme, modified by myself, here she is:- Hump Time Heidi :biggrin: :blink: :blush:

2017-12-6_22-25-8-379.jpg

2017-12-6_22-23-58-329.jpg

Obviously I had to do some research for her nose art: An hour of my life I won't get back surfing google images of pin-up girl nose art, not that I minded very much you understand. Sometimes political correctness is a complete load of pish..

• Upvote 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Nice work Mark. Are you flying hump missions. I bet they're long and time consuming.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

Thank you!

Not actual hump missions, Vic. Just a hump-themed flight (oo-err. Steady!) - a more modern recreation. Chabua to Kunming (the new airport). I called up the stock FSX:SE map and looked for some likely NDB & VOR beacons between the two airfields to get a flavour of going over the Himalayas at 17-18000 feet with some "lite" radio navigation thrown in. The plan distance is 470nm, so not too short a trip, but not too long either. I'll get some screenshots posted as and when.

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

31 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Thank you!

Not actual hump missions, Vic. Just a hump-themed flight (oo-err. Steady!) - a more modern recreation. Chabua to Kunming (the new airport). I called up the stock FSX:SE map and looked for some likely NDB & VOR beacons between the two airfields to get a flavour of going over the Himalayas at 17-18000 feet with some "lite" radio navigation thrown in. The plan distance is 470nm, so not too short a trip, but not too long either. I'll get some screenshots posted as and when.

Looking forward to those screenshots! Last night I downloaded the freeware Little Nav Map. Looks like a potentially great tool for prop liner flight planning and even has a moving map. You may look into it if you don't already have it.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

Big powerful engines allowed it to carry twice the load of the C47...was not used in Europe because anyone with a pistol could shoot it down.....nice shots!

HLJAMES

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, HLJames said:

...was not used in Europe because anyone with a pistol could shoot it down.....nice shots!

Thanks! However The C46 was credited with two kills during combat:-

"During WWII Hump operations, a C-46 notched its first air combat victory when Captain Wally Gayda stuck a Browning Automatic Rifle out his cockpit window and emptied the entire magazine at an attacking Nakajima Ki.43 Oscar. Gayda hit the unsuspecting pilot, and the Oscar went down. During the Bay of Pigs operation, a C-46 scored the Commando’s second “kill.” Having dropped a load of doomed Cuban exile paratroopers, the transport was on its way back to the CIA’s secret Guatemala base when it was attacked by one of Castro’s Hawker Sea Furies. Something went wrong, probably an overenthusiastic too-low, too-slow stall/spin, and the Hawker augured into the Caribbean, killing the pilot."

6 hours ago, woodhick said:

Kinda an adult theme there Mark.  LOL   Looking good ;-)

You know how it is, Dan. I'm a straight guy, all my planes are "she"s and whilst any plane deserves nose art, one of a certain age have to have pin-ups on them! Even when a plane might be referred to as a "miserable, ground-looping S.O.B.:cool: Besides Heidi's covered up...  she was wearing some different knickers, but when I made the background transparent in paint.net, her knickers vanished too!! Oi! Stop sniggering at the back! Nothing to see here - literally. So she's got black ones on. :uwe_merm: :biggrin: 

Mark Robinson

Thought you'd see the funny side! Sometimes AVSIM is like one of the old Carry On films :uwe_merm:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson