Hi all,

I'm relatively new to flight simming and started with my very low end home pc (i3 4130 with gtx750ti). I have since upgraded my GPU, CPU, PSU, RAM basically everything with the exception of the mobo to something slightly better. I'm running i7 4770k and a gtx 980. I've just got a gigabyte ga-z97p-d3 mobo and a corsair hyper 212x with the intention of performing a mild overclock. My question is would I need to do a fresh install of all my scenery, aircrafts and utilities or is there a simpler method. I have installed several add ons, over 190gb worth and dread the idea of having to install them all over again. Also what are the licensing implications, I know fsdreamteam records licence on the system I'm guessing others might to. Would I have issues migrating these licences over to my new system? Thanking you for any help or suggestions 

I just finished upgrading to a new computer.  While I'm not done re-installing everything, I've had no problems downloading and installing everything that I've purchased.  Some vendors limit the number of downloads but would reset the counters if you reach out to them.  In your case, I don't think you would have to reinstall everything, only the items that may be affected by the hardware change.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

If you change your Motherboard, you will have to reinstall Windows.  This means a complete reinstall of P3D and many of your addons that have registry entries to run.  For instance, you do not have to reinstall Photoscenery.  Believe Orbx/FTX stuff will work too but it is best to simply reinstall everything.  Whenever I upgrade like that I reinstall addons slowly.  No need to rush and get all 5000 addons installed right away.

EDIT:  Here's a link to reactivating Windows after a major hardware upgrade - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change.  So reinstalling Windows and all of your addons may not be required.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

28 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

If you change your Motherboard, you will have to reinstall Windows. 

Not exactly true Sir...reactivate windows yes, reinstalling depends...i had a dual experience with mobo changes and windows, one bad in windows 7, after some errors and crashes i decide it to reinstall, and a good one with windows 8 (mobo, cpu and ram change) just reinstalled the new mobo chipset drivers and had it for 2 years with no issues.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Thanks for your reply. I found online a guide on how to reactivate a retail copy of windows. Can you suggest a guide if there're any I can follow to achieve this simpler method. I've been searching online and found nothing so far. I would obviously reinstall the entire package if necessary but only if absolutely necessary. 

8 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Not exactly true Sir...reactivate windows yes, reinstalling depends..

Did you not see my edit???

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Check out the windows utility called sysprep. Sysprep is used to prepare a system for the first time use of a PC. I recently used this for a new motherboard myself and did not have to reinstall either windows or prepar3d. I did need to reactivate windows and reinstall other minor programs but overall I would do this again. 

However, YMMV. Its worth a shot if it saves you a lot of time reinstalling everything.

If your original pc was branded; dell, hp, etc. windows may not work due to licensing agreements between the mfg and ms. So this may not work.

The basic steps for sysprep are:

1 get your new mb

2 run sysprep, look up how to run it online and follow the instructions

3 shutdown the pc and do not turn it on

3 swap out your old for the new mb

4 start up the pc with the new mb

5 follow the setup instructions. Windows will think the is a first time startup of the device and take you through that process.

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Did you not see my edit???

I saw now :)

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync