Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

weather add on settings. advice please- p3dv4

I have been experimenting with wx add-ons this week. I would like to get some advice on what the experience has been with the - weather rate of change slider in sim

Question:    I wonder if you the weather injection working better when the slider is off or on.....set in the sim?

It also seems that  the sim wants to reset that slider in my situation to zero every time I start the sim

Perhaps it does not matter as a 3rd party weather solution takes control regardless but I'm not sure i understand what is best or going on behind the scene

BTW. I'm experimenting with fsrealwx and fsxwx with (envtex or soft clouds ) .They all seem to work but I'm not sure I'm getting the best results 

I like to fly with real weather injected from the 3rd party ap

Advice?

Peter

AS 16, in my opinion, is the Gold Standard of weather. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Whilst it is expensive, I don't think you can do much better than to use Active Sky for P3D with Active Sky Cloud Art, it does a great job of handling the weather in the sim and looks very good. Even though it offers tons of control, personally I don't even tart around with it that much, the default settings are pretty good right as it comes. If you catch it in a sale, it's still quite pricey, since you have to buy the two add-ons to get the best results, but it is at least a bit less of a wallet sting, so look out for something seasonal in the discount realm if you are considering it.

I do however tweak the appearance of the sim ever so slightly using the freeware Open Shade, since thats cost nothing, which is always a nice price to pay. Not changed by much, I've just made things look a bit bluer on the horizon to simulate the Rayleigh Scattering effect of the atmosphere, by adjusting the RGB values in the Cineon DPX setting to up the blue value a little bit, and the reason I use that, is because Cineon DPX is the one often used in film-making to colour grade movies, so it offers the most 'film-like' adjustment to things, which is something I'm familiar with from working in the film and TV industry.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Most weather programs take control of "rate of weather change" setting. Otherwise they couldn't accomplish the objective of the program.   

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

A lot of good options out there, but there's one on the top that smashes all the others Active Sky for P3D period! If paired with ASCA you have the best combination you can have today for Flight simulation in terms of weather.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Thank you all for the replies. What I have found so far ( and i did purchase envtex for p3dv4 ) is that it is crashing my sim. Not good but working through the bugs.  I will probably explore other options.

Thank you for the "rate of change answer above @jimcarrel . I was unclear on how that behavior worked from within the sim

I also am unclear on what "in sim" setting you use for a weather theme. In other words, when using a 3rd party addon for weather do you select a predefined theme or do you set to "custom weather". There is no specific setting for an add-on package other than there is a setting for "opus weather" in the weather profiles. 

Just curious if it even matters or if the 3rd part all simply takes control

Regards Peter

The weather programs all ignore your "in sim" settings - they all default to "user control" so it makes no difference one way or another what you do in the sim.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

22 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

The weather programs all ignore your "in sim" settings - they all default to "user control" so it makes no difference one way or another what you do in the sim.

Vic

Thank you! that makes life simple! Regards. Peter

So I installed Envtex with envdir.  Crashed to desktop every time I run my p3dv4 installation.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Peter

I hope that you backed up your P3d default shaders. Revert to those shaders, clear the P3d shader binary cache folder and see if that helps.

Did you previously have P3d Tweak Assistant installed?

51 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I hope that you backed up your P3d default shaders. Revert to those shaders, clear the P3d shader binary cache folder and see if that helps.

Did you previously have P3d Tweak Assistant installed?

No! i did not have p3d assistant installed an all i have managed to achieved so far by installing envtex is continuous ctd's I think i can delete the shaders in p3dv4 and they will regenerate. I might be wrong . Pete

He's talking about restoring a backup of the ShadersHLSL folder which does NOT regenerate if deleted. However, if you don't have a backup, run a repair install on the Client. The shader folder in %LocalAppdata% /LockheedMartin will regenerate.

Have you contacted Maxime at Toga about the issue? He is very quick to respond.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

52 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

He's talking about restoring a backup of the ShadersHLSL folder which does NOT regenerate if deleted. However, if you don't have a backup, run a repair install on the Client. The shader folder in %LocalAppdata% /LockheedMartin will regenerate.

Have you contacted Maxime at Toga about the issue? He is very quick to respond.

Vic

No, i did not reach out Maxime directly, did not know that was the person to contact but i will. I did, however, post to FB, their forum and sent a direct email ( x3)  for help with no reply so far.

On 2017-12-08 at 1:18 PM, pkofman said:

No, i did not reach out Maxime directly, did not know that was the person to contact but i will. I did, however, post to FB, their forum and sent a direct email ( x3)  for help with no reply so far.

BTW , reached out to Maxine. very helpful and responsive.. Seems very willing to assist. 

Thank you for the tip @vgbaron

Pete