Sign in to follow this  
goshob

FSX-SE default scenery

Hi,

I am facing a permanent issue with the default scenery of some airports, for which I would like to request support. I had noticed that there is no ILS available on UTAA and OOSA airports, no matter that current AIRAC was showing such. In order to prevent from clarifications, I would like to say that corresponding AIRAC was loaded in the AC and the plane was fully prepared for flying an ILS approach.

I had asked support in another forum thinking that it had something to do with the AIRAC, but was informed that these are purely scenery features, having nothing to do with the charts database.

My question here is if someone is aware where the default scenery files are placed or specifically how can I know the airport code? There are tons of BGL files in the scenery folder having specific names, which unfortunately are not matching with what I am looking for.

Second is if I can use ADE for open and eventually edit the corresponding files?

Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, goshob said:

My question here is if someone is aware where the default scenery files are placed or specifically how can I know the airport code? There are tons of BGL files in the scenery folder having specific names, which unfortunately are not matching with what I am looking for.

Second is if I can use ADE for open and eventually edit the corresponding files?

Last question first, yes you can use ADE to open the the files and locate a specific airport.  However any editing will result in a standalone version of the airport, which you will need to add to Scenery.cfg.  You cannot modify the airport 'within' the default area BGLs, or at least easily.

As for the airport codes, you'll need to look them up.  I would suggest downloading a copy of Little Navmap. Once you build the scenery database it will contain all of the airports in the default scenery.  You can their either search, or zoom in on a specific area.  LNM also happens to be an invaluable tool while you're flying for doing flight planning.

BTW, as for all of those default bgl files; they are number by their location in a grid.  I have seen a better example, but for now will have to refer you to ESP Terrain and Scenery documentation.  Do a find on 'Basic File Information' for an explanation of the grid.

Finally, you might search for  fsAerodata (payware) and FSX/P3D Navaids update (freeware). Both will modify some of the navigation data and may do what you want without the need for you to modify airports themselves.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

For minor airport edits you can just save to the "Addon Scenery" folder which should already be present in the Scenery.cfg to avoid needing to add dedicated scenery library entries for every little thing, but for bigger edits it's a good practice to add a new library folder.

For navaid fixes the tools at the Herve Sors website linked above do replace the stock BGLs because FSX doesn't properly support removal or other changes to navaids using the scenery library. He also has ILS and navaids editor tools if you want to do it manually.

One other thing is that with ADE you can add both ILS facilities (localizer, glideslope) to an airport, and you can also add ILS approach procedures (other other types of instrument approaches). These are separate things, so don't confuse them. AI aircraft don't use ILS facilities, but they will fly the ILS approach procedure (vectors to final) if one is present. This is sometimes used as a way to make AI take a reasonable approach track.

Barry Friedman

Hi,

I would like to thank you for the advises first. They are quite valuable and I will use them in my hobby. The thing is that the entire default scenery for OOSA is wrong, including taxiways, gates, etc. There was a repair of the airport and many things were changed recently. There is a colleague from IVAO Oman, who made changes and published it in the library here. 

Thank you very much anyhow!