Sign in to follow this  
switch686

SDK now available

1 hour ago, lodestar said:

well, i hope to finally see some high quality airliners in FSW, so i can start testing it

Well the SDK is out, so feel free to make one!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

The command line tools look the same as those from FSX/P3D, so hopefully tools like ADE and MCX can be adapted. I posted in the MCX forum at fsdeveloper to see if Arno is considering to add support. I guess much of the work of adding MCX support would revolve around PBR.

People with student ID's can get 3ds Max for free, so that's good for them, the rest of us hobbyists will have to wait for MCX or for DTG to support an affordable modeling tool.

For ADE, there's no terrain SDK as yet, ie no shp2vec for creating flattens, and I don't know if the BGL decompiling tools will work, so don't know if we'll be able to use ADE anytime soon.

There doesn't appear to be much documentation on file formats, not even XML (other than scenery library and object placement xml), and nothing about air files. Looks like JSON is being used for checklists.

Livery creation is described using substance painter, which requires an exported copy of aircraft mesh that includes PBR materials.

Oh well. It does also have simconnect, so that's something.

Barry Friedman

17 minutes ago, fshobby said:

The command line tools look the same as those from FSX/P3D, so hopefully tools like ADE and MCX can be adapted. I posted in the MCX forum at fsdeveloper to see if Arno is considering to add support. I guess much of the work of adding MCX support would revolve around PBR.

People with student ID's can get 3ds Max for free, so that's good for them, the rest of us hobbyists will have to wait for MCX or for DTG to support an affordable modeling tool.

For ADE, there's no terrain SDK as yet, ie no shp2vec for creating flattens, and I don't know if the BGL decompiling tools will work, so don't know if we'll be able to use ADE anytime soon.

There doesn't appear to be much documentation on file formats, not even XML (other than scenery library and object placement xml), and nothing about air files. Looks like JSON is being used for checklists.

Livery creation is described using substance painter, which requires an exported copy of aircraft mesh that includes PBR materials.

Oh well. It does also have simconnect, so that's something.

He is trying to support the SDK with MCX.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/fsw-registry-key.441641/

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

18 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

He is trying to support the SDK with MCX.

Thanks, I forgot there's an FSW forum there, it's been so quiet.

Barry Friedman

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

Yep, I'm reading through the SDK and the terrain stuff seen in the P3D SDK is missing. I'm sure/hope it's coming, eventually.

I'm guessing that means scenery devs like Orbx don't have the right tools yet to start churning out their sceneries...?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

46 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I'm guessing that means scenery devs like Orbx don't have the right tools yet to start churning out their sceneries...?

Or they could have the SDK tools privately.  Developers such as myself have been granted access to the tools.  I cant speak for Orbx, but its possible that they already have the tools they need.  Developing add-on's takes time, especially for a new engine.  

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

19 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

Or they could have the SDK tools privately.  Developers such as myself have been granted access to the tools.  I cant speak for Orbx, but its possible that they already have the tools they need.  Developing add-on's takes time, especially for a new engine.  

Cheers, makes sense. Given the timing I was expecting (hoping for) some scenery to cone onto the market in the run up to Xmas.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

36 minutes ago, Gibbage said:

But is it really a new engine?

What are the improvements for scenery besides PBR? I was hoping for a quick port of Orbx scenery.

Arno is interested in adding MCX support but needs someone with 3ds Max to export using the SDK and send him the X file so he can study it. DTG has not provided any documentation of changes they may to X file format.

Barry Friedman

ORBX may well have had a hand in developing the scenery SDK but I suspect they have there hands full with the new 64bit sims, P3Dv4 , XP , AF2 ,   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg