Sign in to follow this  
moss1

New OOM issue with X-plane11

Hi all,

Happy Holidays. It's been a while since I've posted... real life prevents my normal participation in the sim community lately.

I have recently seen out of memory warnings using X-plane 11. I had this maybe once before. Now i get it almost everytime shortly after starting a flight. the last instance, X-plane froze completely.. I then did the ctrl alt delete to the task manger to force quit, only to find my desktop at 400X600 like no video drivers were loaded any longer,  indicating the entire system was being stressed. I've never had issues before with version 10 or 11 to date. I'm running RC2 or 3. My settings are not maxed either. Lowering them did nothing to fix the issue after a system reboot. I've had the issue while using the Rollin CRJ200, Rotate MD80 and FF 757V2. I haven't tried default AC since this problem showed up just to test, but I think it runs deeper as this issue never existed with these add ons before. I have an Nvidia GTX Titan 12 gig card, Windows 7 home, Crucial 16 gigs ddr4 ram @2400, i7 intel @ 4.4ghz stable always to date. Temps have always been very low on  the CPU around 40C and the video card never exceeded 60 degrees C under load. Any suggestions? I'm thinking running memtest as maybe one of my crucial 8 gig sticks is bad? I miss my rare sim time opportunities I have. Thanks in advance and I hope this shouldn't have been in a different sub forum. If so, my apology to our wonderful Mod staff here. I may have some time to test this evening or tomorrow if anyone responds before hand. I'm pretty savy with my system and always careful not to push it beyond what is possible. Thank you again!

Best, Jeff

I completely brain farted on that option... I checked the paging file and low and behold it was set to 0 all of this time, yet never had issues up until now. I set it to system managed on another internal SSD drive. I briefly loaded a session, and no issues. I'll test further over the weekend if I have time and report back. Thanks for the tip sizziano... greatly appreciated:-)

Best, Jeff

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moss1 said:

I completely brain farted on that option... I checked the paging file and low and behold it was set to 0 all of this time, yet never had issues up until now. I set it to system managed on another internal SSD drive. I briefly loaded a session, and no issues. I'll test further over the weekend if I have time and report back. Thanks for the tip sizziano... greatly appreciated:-)

Best, Jeff

Anytime.

you really need to have at least 24-32 gb of ram or more, x-plane 11 will continue to be demanding on ram.i plan on upgrading to 64gb when the 9700k is released.

I agree with Brett on the ram. Unfortunately, when I built this rig a few years ago, I made the huge mistake of not getting windows7 Pro, instead installed home which only recognizes up to 16gigs of ram. By the time I went to upgrade to windows7 pro, it was not available any longer through Microsoft. As I do not use FSX any longer, I may upgrade the OS as X-plane is a breeze to backup and restore. I'm on the fence about building a new system, as I don't use my flightsim anywhere near as much due to real world stuff that limits my time. I would love to get a hold of Windows 7 professional though so I can add the extra ram. I'm sure that would be a good option for now. Anyway, I'm hopefully off to test my system shortly to see if the paging file behaves now. :-)

Best, Jeff

I decided to opt out of the latest Xplane11 upgrade.  I tested it and got OOM issues with it, but I do not have them on 11.05.  Since I opted to use photoreal scenery for most of my Xplane11 flights I decided 11.05 was a good stable release for me.  I only have 8GB of RAM and 3GB of VRAM.  I let Windows manage my HDRAM.  I have found no limit on the number of hours I can fly.  What seems to absorb most of Xplane11's memory is the state data it captures.  Xplane11 has a very good replay feature built into it so I know that also takes some memory.  Don't know if that helps, I have every feature I can think of maxed except logging, which I have disabled.  I was coached on how to tweak 11.05 for performance and advised to stay away from 11.10 if I did not like it.

John

18 hours ago, moss1 said:

I agree with Brett on the ram. Unfortunately, when I built this rig a few years ago, I made the huge mistake of not getting windows7 Pro, instead installed home which only recognizes up to 16gigs of ram. By the time I went to upgrade to windows7 pro, it was not available any longer through Microsoft. As I do not use FSX any longer, I may upgrade the OS as X-plane is a breeze to backup and restore. I'm on the fence about building a new system, as I don't use my flightsim anywhere near as much due to real world stuff that limits my time. I would love to get a hold of Windows 7 professional though so I can add the extra ram. I'm sure that would be a good option for now. Anyway, I'm hopefully off to test my system shortly to see if the paging file behaves now. :-)

Best, Jeff

you can buy a windows 7 pro key cheap from just about anywhere online, also google windows 7 pro iso downloads, you can get those anywhere for free, i bought a windows 10 pro key for 10 bucks and also found windows 7 pro keys for 10 bucks. sadly any new hardware won';t work with windows 7 anymore.

12 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Install 11.10, it's final.

That doesn't mean add-ons are now magically compatible.

21 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Install 11.10, it's final.

I plan on leaving 11.05 as is, I'm happy with it as it is and I have no need to upgrade at this time.  Although I do not have any add-ons, most of my time investment is with my west coast photoreal scenery that I created.  It's a pity though that it takes too much space, I wish I could have added it to the file library like my FSX/P3D Colorado photoreal scenery.

53 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I plan on leaving 11.05 as is, I'm happy with it as it is and I have no need to upgrade at this time.

.10 is faster and comes with loads of fixes and improvements. 

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Followup on my situation:

So, the other day I went to turn my system on... only to hear the four dreaded beeps and it turned right off..... hmm...I removed the one stick of memory farthest from the cpu, and low and behold, the system booted right up. I did reseat the stick and all is back to normal with both ram modules, but I assume one stick either wasn't seated properly or is on the way out. That said, this in combo with my page file setting may have caused my OOM issue I was having lately. I will look into Windows7 pro.. Thanks for the info everyone....greatly appreciated!

• Upvote 1