Sign in to follow this  
rah321

General observation after latest Windows update

Hey folks,

I've been seeing many people having issues with P3D after installing the latest Windows update. It was only very recently that I began to have problems with my sim. One of the things I recalled about Windows updates is that it undoes any changes you make to their background programs. In other words - you have to reapply those changes after you install an update to Windows. For example - I turn off any and all telemetry services that Windows applies (or re-applies) after an update. I also disable Windows Defender since I have a third-party antivirus. Windows Defender is a good basic antivirus and shouldn't be disabled without another program to take its place. I say again: DO NOT DISABLE WINDOWS DEFENDER WITHOUT A PROPER ANTIVIRUS INSTALLED!

In my case, I noticed Windows Defender was turned back on after the latest update and my system was acting a little strange. My antivirus was taking forever to get permission from Windows to run. When I started P3D, it ran the first time but then I ran into problems with some of my addon aircraft (including my PMDG products). After I disabled Windows Defender and restarted my system, everything seems to be working as it should.

Again, this is in no way recommending you turn off any Windows services. There may be conflicting programs that require the user's attention. Just my two cents.

First recommendation:

Ditch the aftermarket AV. Problem solved.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

First recommendation:

Hey Kyle,

I'm actually pretty happy with my aftermarket AV since I've had issues with Windows Defender in the past (things not involving P3D or flight simming). Just figured I'd share my experience.

3 minutes ago, rah321 said:

I'm actually pretty happy with my aftermarket AV since I've had issues with Windows Defender in the past (things not involving P3D or flight simming). Just figured I'd share my experience.

This wouldn't explain the earlier post where your AV was having issues, but it's your choice.

All the same, aftermarket AV at home is largely both a wasted effort, and wasted money. They are truly, and wholly garbage...and this is coming from someone who works in IT security and taught Sec+. Office? Fine. Home? Throwing money away to compromise your system function and performance.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

This wouldn't explain the earlier post where your AV was having issues, but it's your choice.

All the same, aftermarket AV at home is largely both a wasted effort, and wasted money. They are truly, and wholly garbage...and this is coming from someone who works in IT security and taught Sec+. Office? Fine. Home? Throwing money away to compromise your system function and performance.

Fair enough sir. I'm not going to argue that you know what you're talking about as far as IT security goes.

This post can be deleted/closed the topic since it's incorrect.

12 minutes ago, rah321 said:

This post can be deleted/closed the topic since it's incorrect.

Just a polite disagreement. I just vehemently hate aftermarket AV. I used to fully support them, but over time, they've developed into - what I consider - to be viruses themselves.

...doesn't mean that your post about AV conflicts doesn't have merit. Honestly, back in the early 2000s, if two AV programs ended up on the same machine, they'd essentially play AV deathmatch, since the other one was aggressively trying to delete the other, essentially.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Just a polite disagreement. I just vehemently hate aftermarket AV. I used to fully support them, but over time, they've developed into - what I consider - to be viruses themselves.

...doesn't mean that your post about AV conflicts doesn't have merit. Honestly, back in the early 2000s, if two AV programs ended up on the same machine, they'd essentially play AV deathmatch, since the other one was aggressively trying to delete the other, essentially.

All good Kyle! I appreciate your insight into this. 

On 2017/12/08 at 0:16 AM, scandinavian13 said:

First recommendation:

Kyle, thanks for the info....I have always assumed one requires an aftermarket AV. I have just "ditched" mine after multiple pop up alerts of expiry, trying to become "one" with Mozilla and unable to remove automatic subscription renewal (yes, they have stored my credit card details). And now I'm with Windows Defender! What a pleasure....Updates on a regular basis, exactly the same options as aftermarket AV...and free of charge! Thanks!

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

20 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

Kyle, thanks for the info....I have always assumed one requires an aftermarket AV. I have just "ditched" mine after multiple pop up alerts of expiry, trying to become "one" with Mozilla and unable to remove automatic subscription renewal (yes, they have stored my credit card details). And now I'm with Windows Defender! What a pleasure....Updates on a regular basis, exactly the same options as aftermarket AV...and free of charge! Thanks!

one  way  to deal with  the stored  credit  card  is  to  cancel  your credit   card  and  get  a new  one

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

In my case Norton's scans a downloaded exe file,box bottom right clean and green exe scanned and ok by Norton's , then I open the exe file black box not Norton's W10 stopping me running exe to protect me click on info.have to click run anyway to override this may be a side affect of the latest window 10 fall update  this happed on fs2crew exe only the other day in fact.

Norton's has no problems with exe file window 10 now no like`ee.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 hours ago, rjfry said:

In my case Norton's scans a downloaded exe file,box bottom right clean and green exe scanned and ok by Norton's , then I open the exe file black box not Norton's W10 stopping me running exe to protect me click on info.have to click run anyway to override this may be a side affect of the latest window 10 fall update  this happed on fs2crew exe only the other day in fact.

Norton's has no problems with exe file window 10 now no like`ee.

Norton will quarantine most anything that has not have wide use, and most flight simulation products are in this category.  Norton also ignores your override scan settings as well, and also will run in the background even after you close it.  Get rid of anything from Symantec including Norton.  Windows Defender works exactly as you would want an AV software to work, and it's free.  Norton is trying to compete with something that is free so they and others are very aggressive at blocking anything they are not sure is safe, and will brag about how great they are because they block all that stuff to keep you subscribing.

Dan Downs KCRP

Worked computer/network/communications security for 20+ years and would have NEVER attempted to go online without proper A/V protection from a trusted vendor....until a couple of years ago.

I don't know of any that are available today that are worth the (ever increasing) amount of money they constantly charge for protection of a home PC.  Most of them have reduced themselves to teasing users with "free" base programs then harassing those users with "premium" protection offers (for a modest fee of course) that cause more harm than good.

The last one I used was Norton/Symantec until I fired them.  I spent more time chasing down problems it caused than enjoying the peace of mind it's supposed to provide.  I also don't need a subscription from them to cover my phone and tablets (next to useless anyway).

Windows Defender is what I currently use and it works just fine for me.

Now I can just focus on the grief Microsoft gives me each month...for FREE.

Then I must be running a different windows 10 than most, as it`s windows 10 that flags up some exe files NOT NORTONS that scans them clean and green but when I try to run them windows wants to block them not NORTONS.

I in fact don't have the problems some are reporting in the forums and I never turn off my AV, I run  Operation centre without problems .

In fact some developers tell you to turn off ALL AV on your PC before downloading including windows AV .

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg