Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

What is the BEST flight planning software?

34 minutes ago, Tokitaumelie said:

Login to you aerosoft account, and the profiles for PFPX are available under the downloads section for PFPX.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Thank you; much appreciated! 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Why do you need PFPX to produce a flightplan for you in Canada?  Every commercial flightplan is on Flightaware.com for the day of the flight....

Hi Mark,

I often fly non-standard routes for which no plans are available on Flightaware or similar web pages (I tried :) ). So I typically have to build flight plans myself. They seem to be OK, judging from the fact that they never get rejected on Vatsim ;)

Peter

Concerning Flightaware: where exactly can you see the exact routes that are being flown...? I can't find any routes I could use in PFPX (or ProATC).

EDIT
Hm, it seems Flightaware isn't aware of Wideroe flights...? I only see SAS and Norwegian Air Shuttle...? That would make the site rather useless for me.

25 minutes ago, J van E said:

Concerning Flightaware: where exactly can you see the exact routes that are being flown...? I can't find any routes I could use in PFPX (or ProATC).

EDIT
Hm, it seems Flightaware isn't aware of Wideroe flights...? I only see SAS and Norwegian Air Shuttle...? That would make the site rather useless for me.

Flightaware will not display flight data for Europe, it is not publically available from EuroControl.

1 minute ago, srcooke said:

Flightaware will not display flight data for Europe, it is not publically available from EuroControl.

Ah, ok. Pity.

2 minutes ago, srcooke said:

What don't they want us to see in Europe, that the US are quite happy to share with us?

2 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Real world Dispatchers are trained for many days before being able to release flight plans. 

200 classroom hours and 2 (maybe 3?) exams to get a license, to be exact. In the U.S., at least.

PFPX is a personal favorite of mine, it integrates with Topcat which is nice but Topcat seems to have been abandoned by the developers unfortunately.

5 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

2) This is something I really dislike about PFPX: it almost never produces a reasonable flight plan for me in Canada. The routes it produces are often 50% to 200% longer than direct.

Agreed.  For example, when I plan a flight from DTW to MDW, PFPX has me first flying way east into Canada for 10 minutes and then turning around to go back west.  The real-life flights from Flightaware head west immediately upon leaving DTW.

Thus I just copy and paste all of my routes from Flightaware into PFPX instead of having PFPX calculate the route.

• Upvote 1

Does PFPX read all the winds at all the flight levels along your input route of flight and then select the most efficient or quickest flight level? 

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

27 minutes ago, Ted Striker said:

Does PFPX read all the winds at all the flight levels along your input route of flight and then select the most efficient or quickest flight level? 

I’m pretty sure it does, as you can optimize for fuel, cost, or flight time, all of which take wind into account.

9 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

I’m pretty sure it does, as you can optimize for fuel, cost, or flight time, all of which take wind into account.

Thanks for confirming that John. I don't really see the value of PFPX if it did not do this.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

1 minute ago, Ted Striker said:

Thanks for confirming that John. I don't really see the value of PFPX if it did not do this.

Ted

I wouldn’t either.

Can Default ATC using the PFPX, otherwise, the route plan is not instructed by ATC and what's the point to use PFPX plan when following the ATC.

3 minutes ago, nicboyGS said:

Can Default ATC using the PFPX, otherwise, the route plan is not instructed by ATC and what's the point to use PFPX plan when following the ATC.

Well, the problem is that default ATC is no good for any serious flying. It doesn't know SIDs and STARs and simply vectors you all over the place. If you get something 'serious' like PFPX you shouldn't stick with default ATC but also get something serious like ProATC/X. (In fact, I use ProATC for my planning and use PFPX only to calculate the fuel I need...)

Default ATC is only nice for GA VFR.