Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

Simstarter NG for Prepar3dv4

Anyone using Simstarter NG for Prepar3dv4? What are your thoughts? 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

Yes, in fact, SimStarter was one of the programs that had to be v4 compatible BEFORE I even installed P3Dv4.

Overall, the same great functionality and no significant changes to interface or operation.

If there is a negative, it is the way it handles XML installs. In truth, only Lorby-SI seems to work consistently with addon.xml functionality.

What functionality is making you consider SimStarter? Perhaps I can answer more specifically......

Thank you. I'm interested in primarily two things: the ability to automatically launch add-ons, i.e. ActiveSky, and only loading up scenery relevant to a flight plan. Have you experienced performance improvements? My main concern is that hopefully it will not crash my current set-up. As per XML addons, how can I avoid the issue altogether?

Kind regards,

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

SimStarter does an absolutely excellent job with the 2 concerns you mention.

For example, I have my sceneries divided up into "Ops" (operations) areas....southern California, Gulf coast, Norge, etc. Very straightforward to create scenery config sets with any combination of sceneries. Any new scenery is added to the main config set and then you have a table like view where you can choose (check the box) for that scenery in all the scenery config sets.

When the scenery config sets, performance is not substantially changed. However, memory usage is affected. Less of a problem in v4 but still can be a concern.

Regards, selectively starting applications, config sets can be created that do all kind of things. Start programs in a specific order (including waiting times for the previous one to completely start), copy ini or cfg files that control a program (for example, I have 2 FSUIPC.ini files that are swapped into use as dictated by the config sets), and there is a "cleandesk" options that can stop unwanted programs from running.

ActiveSky is natively supported and multiple AS configurations can be maintained, swapped in and out by the SimStarter profiles.

SimStarter's clumsiness with XML installs is not a problem if you are not doing addon.xml installs. If you don't know or don't need addon.xml installs, no worries for you.

Hope this helps. I am, as you can tell, a big believer in SimStarter and have used it for FSX-SE, P3Dv3, and now, for P3Dv4.

1 minute ago, Henry Street said:

SimStarter's clumsiness with XML installs is not a problem if you are not doing addon.xml installs. If you don't know or don't need addon.xml installs, no worries for you.

The problem is, some sceneries insist on that approach, especially those from FSDreamTeam.  It's something I hope gets fixed.  I do love to break up my sceneries by region and add-on.xml method is mucking with that for me.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

7 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Hope this helps. I am, as you can tell, a big believer in SimStarter and have used it for FSX-SE, P3Dv3, and now, for P3Dv4.

Thank you. I just bought it, I guess there are many tutorials on Youtube? 

Regards,

Shelman S.