Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

ASCA or REX?

I have ASCA with Active Sky installed and so far, it's been alright. But I keep hearing about REX: what's the BEST? 

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

My Opinion on REX products is:

graphically they are really nice, but the company is not able to solve their problems technically.

Simply the fact that you need update orgies with countless hotfixes and SPs where you have to fiddle out the right numbers instead of using an straight forward updater.

And: everytime I installed REX I have had shaders or texture problems, because it was affecting other things.

At least: ASCAs standalone feature is the ability to dynamically change clouds etc, and you will loose this with REX

But: just my opinion ...

• Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REX soft clouds are great. I never cared for their other cloud products. Never used ASCA with my AS16 but I'm sure that it's of an equivalent standard to REX and as far as I know REX doesn't have the dynamic part.

I prefer ASCA but this is a VISUAL product. The only person who can answer that is you - whichever one YOU think looks best IS the best.

As mentioned, the big plus for ASCA is that it works seamlessly with Active Sky weather to dynamically change the cloud sets according to weather influence - which you cannot do with REX clouds at this time.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I used REXEssential Overdrive weather product for couple of years with 32 bit fsx/P3D. Nice interface, textures, weather options etc. Then I switched to ActiveSky P3D and haven't looked back. I think many are waiting for REX's 64 bit  weather program for further comparison.

Now however in combination with ASCA with its dynamic changing and ENVTEX plus ENVSHADE to me is an unbeatable combination. 

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I do like Active Sky/ASCA but, in terms of visuals, I do prefer the REX clouds.  With REX, bad weather looks more intense...darker clouds with realistic shapes.  I remember flying around KLAX in the J41 with low clouds...really intense...what you'd expect if you looked outside on a rainy day.  REX's engine isn't as smooth with changes though. 

Looking forward to SkyForce soon.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

2 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Looking forward to SkyForce sooner or later.

Is anyone still expecting SkyForce to actually be released...? :huh: Did I miss something?

32 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

I used REXEssential Overdrive weather product for couple of years with 32 bit fsx/P3D. Nice interface, textures, weather options etc. Then I switched to ActiveSky P3D and haven't looked back. I think many are waiting for REX's 64 bit  weather program for further comparison.

Now however in combination with ASCA with its dynamic changing and ENVTEX plus ENVSHADE to me is an unbeatable combination. 

I agree. I have used REX since it first came out but Active Sky P3DV4, ASCA, ENVTEX and ENVSHADE have replaced them. They are complimentary and work together. There is less texture choices than REX Texture Direct but they are set once and forget. They dynamically load the appropriate textures for the weather. I think ENVTEX sky textures are superior to ASCA and have set my system to only use the ENVTEX textures.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

21 minutes ago, J van E said:

Is anyone still expecting SkyForce to actually be released...? :huh: Did I miss something?

I've been following their progress over at REX.  If what they say is true, it should be out next month...possibly sooner but you know how optimistic developers are.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I use ASCA for the dynamic cloud textures but I use Rex for the sky textures.

The long awaited Skyforce from REX which looks like it'll finally arrived early next year will probably change everything if it lives up to the hype.

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1