Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

RELEASED: HD Mesh Scenery v4 for X-Plane 11

Also people don´t forget this is donationware ;) 

If you are able to spend 50+ dollars on planes of questionable quality, giving andras some money should be a nobrainer :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks Andras.

Can I replace the default X-Plane 11 Global Scenery/Earth nav data with HD mesh v4 to save space or do I need to keep the default xp 11 nav data?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

5 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Thanks Andras.

Can I replace the default X-Plane 11 Global Scenery/Earth nav data with HD mesh v4 to save space or do I need to keep the default xp 11 nav data?

Yes, you can ... BUT that is not recommended (nor really supported) as any scenery update (you can trigger via the updater) would overwrite. And also, this way would make it much harder to roll-back (you would need to re-install scenery via the X-Plane installer).

32 minutes ago, alpilotx said:

Yes, you can ... BUT that is not recommended (nor really supported) as any scenery update (you can trigger via the updater) would overwrite. And also, this way would make it much harder to roll-back (you would need to re-install scenery via the X-Plane installer).

Thanks.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

38 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Thanks Andras.

Couldn't you just uninstall the default scenery tiles that are covered by the hd mesh via the installer to save space? My guess is that it should be enough, if the hd scenery is in the custom scenery folder for those tiles. That way you would avoid the update mess that comes with replacing lots of original X-Plane files.

• Upvote 1

The downside of expecting people to seed a release like this, when it's in 50+ pieces is, you'll end up choking a connection if there's too many clients connected, especially on lower-end ISP assigned gear it can be a nightmare. So I really urge you to release in larger, regional torrents that are easier to seed and easier to download.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

40 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

The downside of expecting people to seed a release like this, when it's in 50+ pieces is, you'll end up choking a connection if there's too many clients connected, especially on lower-end ISP assigned gear it can be a nightmare. So I really urge you to release in larger, regional torrents that are easier to seed and easier to download.

As you still always have the direct download option too (from 4 mirrors!) the problem shouldn't be that big (you always can fall back to the direct download if the torrent doesn't work for some time).

Additionally it is a support nightmare, if there are more, different file packages floating around the net because that makes it even harder to spread a fixed, new version should that become necessary (because the more different packages there are, the harder it becomes to know which of them might need an update). People tend to forget that ...

And if I managed to work on this for months and take care of the distribution then maybe its not much asked that users invest a little time for downloading (and finally, its still all free. isn't it :cool:). So I urge you to not urge me ...

(and if everybody fails, you even get the whole stuff on USB media from FSPilotshop ... which just became available ... link is on the HD Mesh Scenery v4 page)

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, alpilotx said:

Additionally it is a support nightmare, if there are more, different file packages floating around the net because that makes it even harder to spread a fixed, new version should that become necessary (because the more different packages there are, the harder it becomes to know which of them might need an update). People tend to forget that ...

I don't get that. First off, how is this scenario any different from your current method? Right now, it's even more cumbersome to download, making people MORE likely to upload the files to a third party site where they won't get updated. Making it MORE difficult to get files doesn't DECREASE the risk of unauthorized uploads. Making them smaller and more accessible increases that risk even further. Making larger but fewer packages, means people are more likely to get it from the official source with most seeders / leechers, plus getting the latest files in the first get-go.

Secondly, if you decided to add more tiles to a region, you'd simply just update the primary torrent mirror with a new torrent. You or anybody else would still use the older files to seed, but also download and seed the new files. If you patch a file, they would just re-download said file, even if they had a copy of the old, as it would fail consistency check.

It seems like minimal extra work and support with a HUGE accessibility bonus for the people who want to save a lot of time clicking 40+ individual files and links, waiting for them to load, queue up the torrents etc. Might even be more inclined to donate and support your work -- I would.

Also, this isn't about not being able to seed full stop. I could just be selfish and leech what I needed then stop the torrent, against the idea of torrents. This is about making it viable, which it won't be to seed 20-30-40 files as the amount of incoming connections could easily choke most low-end network gear. And your direct mirrors aren't an answer when they are ungodly slow, have "package" schemes with capped download rates and are STILL in individual packages.

But if the official stance is what you said, I'll just leech and stop the torrents when I'm done, regardless of seed ratio.

EDIT: Also, tell me, how does ordering a USB make it LESS of a support nightmare to have people's files update? Sounds like the absolute worst-case scenario for outdated files, where people most likely won't be updating them.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I'll  not go into technical detail. However, Andras provides an outstanding contribution to the community - for free. I think it's his and only his decision how to distribute the files. I may or may not find it great to click the numerous files, but considering the time I take for clicking in relation to his time for making the files, I feel I should only be thankful to him. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 8

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

9 minutes ago, pmb said:

I'll  not go into technical detail. However, Andras provides an outstanding contribution to the community - for free. I think it's his and only his decision how to distribute the files. I may or may not find it great to click the numerous files, but considering the time I take for clicking in relation to his time for making the files, I feel I should only be thankful to him. 

Kind regards, Michael

I agree with this. Andras must have done with enormous efforts to put out his product. If he makes it easier to download, that's great. If this is the way the downlaod is, it's up to us to figure out how to make the best of situation. 

I may just buy the USB stick version. For the price it's very reasonable. Of course, if someone puts the whole package to torrent that'll be great. 120GB for torrent is not that big at all. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Thank you Andras! Most of us greatly appreciate your efforts. I for one, don't find it a hassle to download parts of the whole individually, and even if I did the last thing I would do is complain about something that is given to me entirely FREE. People complaining about free stuff that obviously gives them great enjoyment.... blows my mind. Reminds me of the music business. But let's not go there...LOL.

Edited by Bob Tildesley
embellishment
  • Upvote 2

Looking forward to this... thanks for all the hard work.

As for all the individual parts... why doesn't someone just download them all and seed a new torrent with the entire thing? Should be easy enough.

Just a gentle reminder: who ever thinks he / she can go on a guerrilla mission with his / her own torrent or download offering, there is a very simple license agreement attached to the project:

Other than that ... I try to evaluate with my very generous hosters (on whom I fully rely, as I do not have nearly the bandwidth to make this happen) how or if we can provide a single torrent. Theirs is the last word on this ... so please be patient, and enjoy what is already (now) available.

(and for those, who think I am nuts : you might forget, that here is much more organization / management etc. needed in the background than usually meets your eye :cool:)

• Upvote 1

I downloaded Europe and North America in 45 minutes from Aerosoft site:)

Testing now.

Thanks alpilotx!