Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

RELEASED: HD Mesh Scenery v4 for X-Plane 11

3 hours ago, N1125Y said:

.. I'm running Ortho4XP over Mesh V3, do I need to build the overlay from scratch ???? 

Even though Ortho4XP users have my full sympathy (but I am not using Ortho4XP myself): could you please discuss this topic / issues in an own thread? Especially as almost every second Ortho4XP user seems to ask the same question over-and-over again (thus you might even find some of it answered here or on other forums ... like x-plane.org).

Thank you very much!

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the new mesh, looks amazing, not sure what links ive used to download but taking about 9 mins on average per area :gaul:

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

1 hour ago, deetee said:

Fantastic job Andras ! Will you be updating NZ Pro for v11 at some point ?

Well, quite likely not the full Pro package as it was designed many years ago (especially the extra overlays). But I plan to make a "standard" UHD Mesh for NZ sometime next year.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, alpilotx said:

Well, quite likely not the full Pro package as it was designed many years ago (especially the extra overlays). But I plan to make a "standard" UHD Mesh for NZ sometime next year.

Look forward to it! A well-deserved donation has just been sent. :happy:

6 hours ago, alpilotx said:

Even though Ortho4XP users have my full sympathy (but I am not using Ortho4XP myself): could you please discuss this topic / issues in an own thread? Especially as almost every second Ortho4XP user seems to ask the same question over-and-over again (thus you might even find some of it answered here or on other forums ... like x-plane.org).

Thank you very much!

.. I hear you :-) 

tnx 

Yair 

I saw some of you guys saying 16GB of ram is sometimes not enough to use this. What kind of performance would I have to expect with only 8GB? Haha this looks really good but I can’t afford to lose more performance, especially if I am wanting to use VR! I remember you could get some performance gains with FTX global in P3D (or maybe it was just me). 

You won´t get performance gains with more memory - you will simply avoid crashing the sim. If the sim can fit your scenery into your memory, fine. If it can´t, it will crash.

FPS is unaffected by memory size.

Jan

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Janov said:

You won´t get performance gains with more memory - you will simply avoid crashing the sim. If the sim can fit your scenery into your memory, fine. If it can´t, it will crash.

FPS is unaffected by memory size.

Jan

The sim wouldn't crash because you exceeded the memory usage. The sim would start using your windows pagefile.

The issue with that is windows uses your ssd or hdd to have its pagefile and your ssd/hdd is a lot slower than you RAM, therefore your X-Plane would start freezing and stuttering a lot, because it's using the HDD/SSD instead of your RAM.

More RAM wouldn't give you more fps, but having more RAM than what X-Plane needs would allow you to run it more stable (It means you won't have fps drops and freezes caused by the insufficient ammount of RAM).

33 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

The sim wouldn't crash because you exceeded the memory usage. The sim would start using your windows pagefile.

The issue with that is windows uses your ssd or hdd to have its pagefile and your ssd/hdd is a lot slower than you RAM, therefore your X-Plane would start freezing and stuttering a lot, because it's using the HDD/SSD instead of your RAM.

More RAM wouldn't give you more fps, but having more RAM than what X-Plane needs would allow you to run it more stable (It means you won't have fps drops and freezes caused by the insufficient ammount of RAM).

I am not sure that this is correct - it works that way when VRAM is exceeded, but if you run out of regular RAM X-Plane will warn you with a message of "X-Plane has run totally out of memory..." - and then quit.

Cheers, Jan

14 minutes ago, Janov said:

I am not sure that this is correct - it works that way when VRAM is exceeded, but if you run out of regular RAM X-Plane will warn you with a message of "X-Plane has run totally out of memory..." - and then quit.

Cheers, Jan

Pagefile

RAM is a limited resource, whereas for most practical purposes, virtual memory is unlimited. There can be many processes, and each process has its own 2 GB of private virtual address space. When the memory being used by all the existing processes exceeds the available RAM, the operating system moves pages (4-KB pieces) of one or more virtual address spaces to the computer’s hard disk. This frees that RAM frame for other uses. In Windows systems, these “paged out” pages are stored in one or more files (Pagefile.sys files) in the root of a partition. There can be one such file in each disk partition.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/2160852/ram--virtual-memory--pagefile--and-memory-management-in-windows

Probably you are having some windows issues on your side to get this message.

@alpilotx

Hi Andras, 

I am not sure about this , though I have all the tiles for Alaska (and it's fantastic) but if you look at this link there is a huge crater and also up ahead, something I am missing ? 

https://ibb.co/fww39b

Rgds.

Re-downloading that tile and will revert back.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hi HumptyDumpty,

Funny ... somehow I envisioned most (definitely not all :biggrin:) questions which might arise about some known issues ... Thus I have added a big "Known Issues" section on my website:

And there is "point 5":

5. Steep cuts along coasts, rivers
Misaligned DEM and OSM river / coastline data are the most common culprit. If the elevation data does not exactly overlap with the coastline depicted in OSM (which in some places is indeed inaccurate or simply wrong), then the water flattening algorithm can “cut out” chunks of the mesh. This cone more often be observed along the jagged coasts of Alaska (especially at some glaciers) or Norway. Again, this is something which is hard to take care of, but ideally it should happen via correcting / improving the source OSM data.

(and yes, I even try to update this list if something really new is reported to me!)

52 minutes ago, alpilotx said:

Hi HumptyDumpty,

Funny ... somehow I envisioned most (definitely not all :biggrin:) questions which might arise about some known issues ... Thus I have added a big "Known Issues" section on my website:

And there is "point 5":

(and yes, I even try to update this list if something really new is reported to me!)

Gracias Andras, i did read that later after posting that :) But Thanks.

Just to say Alaska / BC is awesome and even on my low end system the performance is acceptable ,  but where is Mumbai ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus