Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

8700K - question about overclock

I see on the spec for this chip that it is rated at 3.7 base clock and overclock of 4.7.   So my question is this, is the 4.7 turbo built in to the chip and that is what Intel is guaranteeing as the overclock with no de-lid?  I am just trying to figure out if I will de-lid or even if I need to.  Quite honestly 4.7 is probably fine for me and if I can avoid the risk of delid all the better.  I will be going with a AIO water cooler.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

29 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I see on the spec for this chip that it is rated at 3.7 base clock and overclock of 4.7.   So my question is this, is the 4.7 turbo built in to the chip and that is what Intel is guaranteeing as the overclock with no de-lid?  I am just trying to figure out if I will de-lid or even if I need to.  Quite honestly 4.7 is probably fine for me and if I can avoid the risk of delid all the better.  I will be going with a AIO water cooler.

Hi Mark

I was wondering the same , 

Will you be able to do a basic test with your gain on the new system later ?

I am trying to see benefits moving from i7-4770K@4,6-4,7

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

My understanding is that the official spec of 4.7GHz turbo is for one core only. (the remainder to be clocked at the base frequency). For 6 cores, it rates turbo clock at 4.3GHz.

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Well, at least on my 7900x, I overclocked the core 0 more (as it is use the main core used by P3D) and the rest not so much. With AIO it stays decent in 60-70s, max 80s, without delid.

I suppose you can push also the core 0 of 8700K more, using AIO and without delid.

But as I saw the 8700K can be pushed with AIO OK till 5.0GHz (4.8-5.1 depending by the chip). Over 5GHz you should delid it.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

I will post data and will document some scenarios on my current system vs the new one.   Don't expect anything quickly, I have not purchased yet, still need to build and load everything in....it will take a while especially as I have some business travel over the next few weeks.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

46 minutes ago, odourboy said:

My understanding is that the official spec of 4.7GHz turbo is for one core only. (the remainder to be clocked at the base frequency). For 6 cores, it rates turbo clock at 4.3GHz.

Yep that's correct

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

So if you overclock to say 5.0 is it the same thing.  Core 1 is 5.0 and the others are at some lower clock speed?

Well that's essentially  what Intel is specing, but as we know, this is seldom done practice. :biggrin:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

So if you overclock to say 5.0 is it the same thing.  Core 1 is 5.0 and the others are at some lower clock speed?

No. In terms of an actual overclock that you specify, you can set it up for all cores at 5.0 ghz. Or you can individually set each core to whatever you want.

Another thing too, 4.8 ghz.....for me at least, was so easy to obtain that it was almost a joke. Temps were icy cold. I'm sure you won't see much improvement going from 4.8 to 5.0.

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

No. In terms of an actual overclock that you specify, you can set it up for all cores at 5.0 ghz. Or you can individually set each core to whatever you want.

Another thing too, 4.8 ghz.....for me at least, was so easy to obtain that it was almost a joke. Temps were icy cold. I'm sure you won't see much improvement going from 4.8 to 5.0.

And this was with no de-lid, correct?  I hope that is the case for me as well...you seem to have a really good chip.

Mark W   CYYZ      

5 minutes ago, MarkW said:

And this was with no de-lid, correct?  I hope that is the case for me as well...you seem to have a really good chip.

No delid, correct. I think you'll be fine.

Matt kubanda

8 hours ago, MarkW said:

Yes, base frequency is 3.7. Turbo frequency is 4.7. Turbo is nothing to do with manual overclocking, or delidding. When it can, the CPU will overclock one core to the Turbo max, and the others as it sees fit.  

• Upvote 1

I think you will find Intel do not give overclock guarantee, my 7700k overclock per core 2 cores at 5Ghz and 2 cores at 4.8Ghz done under AI suite 3 no problem. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 hours ago, odourboy said:

Intel Turbo has always worked like that. Not all cores will OC to the max Turbo frequency, some will be to a lower frequncy. However, Asus boards [and I presume others] allow you to set  Multi core Enhancement. MCE will override Intel Turbo and set all cores to the max Turbo frequency. So all cores to 4.7 for the 8700K. This can catch some users out who have sub standard cooling. Asus boards have MCE on by default. 

4 hours ago, MarkW said:

No! Manual overclocking is nothing to do with Intel Turbo. When you manually overclock you override Turbo. You can then overclock per core, or all cores, as you choose.