Sign in to follow this  
xxd09

Antonov An2

Here's a quick vid I made just messing about with it. It seems pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Mik75

Looks very good! But P3Dv4 only, so unfortunately not for me... 

Apparently some weird issue being reported on the Aerosoft forum where animations don't play, possibly related to the folder it gets installed in. Not seeing that problem myself, I just let the thing install where it wanted to go and all was fine.

Like a few other people have noted, I think the engine sound is a bit weedy based on my recollection hearing the real things. I've never actually been in an AN2, but I've been pretty close to quite a few at airshows over the years, and I do recall it being quite a loud aeroplane, and it certainly seems that way on youtube videos of the thing too, check this one out for example, I think the Aerosoft one really could do with getting the whine of the inertia starter in there and then sound really raucous before it smooths out to run like this thing does, it being a Shvetsov ASh-62 from an AN2:

Alan Bradbury

Yes I agree- just finished watching it, funny thing is- before he started it up the crowd was right up against the tape, once it started to kick in, they all backed off down the hill a bit!

Mark Trainer

Shorty stacks does sound different than the trumpet exhaust seen in this video that gives it a deeper tone.

Hows the sounds on the SibWings version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tli5NG4HBsQ

Beautiful silver bird... deeper sounds... love the radial sounds.

Starting at 10:38, listen how loud it gets when the window is opened... close at 11:40.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuFun said:

Shorty stacks does sound different than the trumpet exhaust seen in this video that gives it a deeper tone.

Yup, they do, but even taking into account the lack of some noise from the cowling and the longer exhausts, the Aerosoft AN2 just sounds terribly weak, especially when cranking up, whereas the real thing is on the inertia starter for at least 15-20 seconds before the magnetos go on, so there is that massive inertia flywheel whine for an eternity before the engine goes, and there's not much of that in the Aerosoft AN2, which is very disappointing indeed and fails to capture one of the essences of the real thing.

Upon the engine catching, the real Antonov AN2 makes an unholy racket, which when you are near it, it isn't so much heard as felt, and it kicks out so much smoke you think it's going to burst into flames. And that's not surprising really; the Shvetsov ASh-62 on the Antonov AN2 is essentially souped up version of the Shvetsov M-25, which itself was a license-built Wright R-1820 Cyclone used on aircraft such as the Polikarpov 1-16, with the Ash-62 also finding its way onto the Lisunov Li-2, and all of those, like most radial-engined aeroplanes, are very loud and messy when they crank, and not only that, radials almost all have a pretty fast prop RPM at full chat since that engine has well over 1,000 HP, which also give them that classic buzz-saw sound as the prop tips near supersonic speeds, and that's mostly lacking in the Aerosoft AN2 as well.

It flies well, and certainly feels like a big old heavy thing that it is simulating although I did manage to get it to go into a spin from wings level, which it is doubtful the real thing would do unless you were really trying to. But it's crying out for two things; better audio than it presently has, and AccuFeel to be released for P3D V4, because it should be rattling, squeaking and shaking like crazy as well given that even the newest AN2 is getting on for 20 years old and most of them are a lot older than that, which AccuFeel would hopefully add.

Don't get me wrong, I like it and the VC and systems appear very accurate on the whole, with some realistic damage modelling on the engine as well to make sure you have to manage it properly, which is great and was one of the things which makes Aerosoft's Catalina such a great add on as well, but this AN2 could be so much better with some improved audio. It doesn't need much of a tweak, just something to beef things up a bit and have it go louder when you open the window. And if they don't do that, I swear I'll damn well do it myself!

On the whole though, it is a great add-on of an iconic aeroplane; one which makes all other bush/agricultural aeroplanes look like wimps.

Alan Bradbury

3 hours ago, Chock said:

it isn't so much heard as felt

Which is why in general, sound in the simulator need to be exaggerated a bit.  The job of the audio isn't just to sound right but also to stand in for physical sensations - like vibrations - that the sim can't deliver otherwise.  I'd rather have an audio package that sounds right instead of one that just aims for accuracy.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the An-2 yet - I'd been expecting to, but I think I may wait to see whether they're going to upgrade the sound.

1 hour ago, neucoas said:

Any plans for P3D v3 support?

According to Mathijis on the Aerosoft forums, they'll be releasing for the 32-bit sims (FSX, FSX:SE and P3D v3) sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 3

Here's another good (and recent) take on Annuschka startup sounds.

And still more cockpit sounds...

6 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Which is why in general, sound in the simulator need to be exaggerated a bit.  The job of the audio isn't just to sound right but also to stand in for physical sensations - like vibrations - that the sim can't deliver otherwise.  I'd rather have an audio package that sounds right instead of one that just aims for accuracy.

Yup, couldn't agree more, sort of similar to when PMDG altered the cockpit shape of their 737 NG to better suit a PC sim on a screen. Some people didn't like that, but I thought it was a sensible design decision, and likewise I think a sensible design decision for the AN2 would be to shake and rattle it like crazy and have the sound add to that impression. I trust AccuFeel will see to the shaking when it becomes available for P3D V4, but in the interim, I hope Aerosoft ramp up the sound a bit. Someone on the Aerosoft forum said it was supposed to replicate having noise cancelling headphones on, and maybe it is, but I'm not completely convinced by that, since I could turn the engine sounds down in the sim options if I wanted to replicate that a bit.

I'm not trying to put people off the thing in saying this, it is worth having, especially for the price, but I do think it could be better with a sound tweak. Maybe TSS will have a crack at a sound set for it.

Alan Bradbury

I remember when I did the sounds for Manfred's C-47 and reports of it being to loud (cockpit)... well it's suppose to be loud...LOL!  Mostly due to pilots wearing headphones it was to loud. It was a simple fix by reducing the volume in the sound.cfg file. Would be nice to have that option like A2A uses when you virtually plug in headphones. 

Good videos Alan, going strip the sounds from them for my encyclopedia of sounds.

Look at MilViz Otter, beautiful sounding radial engine in that aircraft!

Also, does the Aerosoft An-2 uses the [combustion] format or the [prop] format?

The Otter uses the [prop] format which I'm modding the C-47 sounds to. Never liked the engine sounds going to idle while still maintaining airspeed.

2 hours ago, TuFun said:

I remember when I did the sounds for Manfred's C-47 and reports of it being to loud (cockpit)..

Was thinking of your C-47 soundset when I wrote my post about noise, vibration and harshness - as well as the way the A2A GA aircraft sound when you leave the headphones off, which I usually do.  In the real thing I'd want to protect my hearing, but in the sim I need my teeth rattled.

Another example of accuracy getting in the way - the too-authentic quiet touchdown sound in the PMDG DC-6.  They're absolutely correct that in the real aircraft you can't hear the tire strike over the engines, but in the sim, without a sound cue, you have no idea when or whether you've touched down.  Hoping they'll revise it at some point.

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Maybe TSS will have a crack at a sound set for it.

Both Mathijis and the OctopusG developer posted this morning on the Aerosoft forums that they're going to look to beef up the sound in an update.  Good news.  I haven't yet bought - a combination of concerns about the sound and lack of time - but I think I will now.