Sign in to follow this  
Joned

Goodbye FSX - thank you Windows 10 !

12 hours ago, charliewards said:

It’s Windows 10, not hardware. And FYI my P3D v4 is working fine... probably because it’s 64 bit.

I am on Windows 10 Home Premium and my FSX is running flawlessly. Saddened to hear of your frustration. Hope you find a solution. This is too great an activity to give up on!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1709 screwed up FSW for me.  Had to re-install FSW to get it working, so I feel your pain molleh.

What is the point of an OS "service" if the updates to the "service" break things which work.

Prior to doing a re-install, I even tried the recommended System Restore option to revert the "service" prior to the update.  Guess what happened? FSW still didn't work.  And as soon as it went to shut down - re-updated to 1709 which broke things.

I was fortunate enough that re-installing the program afterwards fixed it, but lost my profile info, because I forgot to backup the 2 .bin files which aren't stored on the Steam cloud.

Every time I see the Update thing pending, I'm terrified something else won't work.  Really close to reverting back to Windows 8.1 (only $11 US) which doesn't have forced updates.

• Upvote 1

I find it interesting that in the case of FSX, we have a program that we all complain about. It's poorly coded, unfinished, a resource hog, and wouldn't run on most computers when it first came out. Yet most people have run it on every OS between then and now. I have. Compared to all the add ons that people buy, FSX costs next to nothing. Yet some add ons keep not working when the OS changes or updates. We all know this. I have plenty of software that was written well before W 10, but works anyway.No matter the OS or hardware. 

Most updates are security updates, of which I am glad. Microsoft had issued a patch that guarded against the last big hack, months before it happened. Lots of business and individuals were hurt because they did not update.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I was having problems too but got a Windows update about four days ago and it look's like everything is fixed.

Not to throw a spanner into the works, but I have a new Win10 sim computer and even P3Dv4 has issues with the 1709 update...

Here's hoping the Dec 12 update will restore things to normal again.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Every update season I regret using Windows 10. It is a beautiful OS but Microsoft cannot go one major update without breaking something. Microsoft needs to stop trying to be like Apple, it will never happen. Is there any way to disable content updates?

2 hours ago, Hansaspeed said:

Is there any way to disable content updates?

Nope.  You can limit them, but never turn them completely off.

MS lost my business with Windows 10.  I don't think I'll ever go back.  Windows 10 is like ME and Vista all in one.  My last laptop purchase was a MacBook Pro.  I don't understand what MS are doing.  Windows 7 was great, and so was XP.  Now they're making garbage.  Windows 10 is so slow at my work and I've yet to see a Windows 10 perform fast.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

1 hour ago, Orlaam said:

MS lost my business with Windows 10.  I don't think I'll ever go back.  Windows 10 is like ME and Vista all in one.  My last laptop purchase was a MacBook Pro.  I don't understand what MS are doing.  Windows 7 was great, and so was XP.  Now they're making garbage.  Windows 10 is so slow at my work and I've yet to see a Windows 10 perform fast.

The thing is I find Windows 10 to be a great operating system but Microsoft keep ruining it. The UI is amazing, I find it marginally faster then 7, and I feel it has more useful features. Yet Microsoft keep finding ways to bloat it into being useless. They bloat it with extra apps no one needs or wants, they bloat it with updates that break the software we really want to use, and they bloat it with services that do nothing but slow it down. I for one will never by a Windows product for anything other then gaming.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Hansaspeed said:

The thing is I find Windows 10 to be a great operating system but Microsoft keep ruining it. The UI is amazing, I find it marginally faster then 7, and I feel it has more useful features. Yet Microsoft keep finding ways to bloat it into being useless. They bloat it with extra apps no one needs or wants, they bloat it with updates that break the software we really want to use, and they bloat it with services that do nothing but slow it down. I for one will never by a Windows product for anything other then gaming.

Same.  We have it at work.  I'm a nurse and every time I want to go look at someone's MAR to scan a medication I have to logon to Windows and then the program we use to administer the meds.  It's so much slower than my Windows 7 machine here are home.  Just logging on takes way too long.  And yes, it's so bloated.  Netflix, Facebook, and a myriad of apps and junk most people don't want.  I think the UI is childish to be honest.  It just has a lot of problems and they aren't making it any better.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

12 hours ago, Orlaam said:

It's so much slower than my Windows 7 machine here are home.

Unless you're comparing OSs on exactly the same machine, any assessment of speed is meaningless. At work, your computer is probably tied into a network being shared by many other machines, is likely to be a slower CPU,  probably has a lot less ram and is almost certainly using integrated graphics. No organisation buys gaming computers to use exclusively in an office environment.

People who think Windows 7 is so wonderful have probably forgotten that it also had its fair share of problems associated with updates. The difference is that it's now been around long enough for them to have been resolved.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I don’t understand why Microsoft can’t release a patch sooner than Tuesday (assuming they’ve fixed the problem). Must the company stick to its scheduled patch/update routine? 

On 12/9/2017 at 11:40 AM, jetsmell said:

I was having problems too but got a Windows update about four days ago and it look's like everything is fixed.

Which update did you get?