Sign in to follow this  
Joned

Goodbye FSX - thank you Windows 10 !

I am so gutted !
I'm using a Windows 10 Home OS.
For years I have enjoyed a great hobby and pastime, invested a lot of money with add on's etc including ORBX sceneries. Now the latest Windows 10 upgrade 1709 has put a stop to all that.
FSX -S opens OK, but any command from the menu produces the "An unsupported operation was attempted" followed by program shut down.
Apparently the 1709 upgrade has affected many FSX-S users. 
I've reinstalled FSX but made no difference. There doesn't seem anything else I can do.

I was thinking of buying P3D to replace FSX, but apparently many P3D users are experiencing problems as well.

Microsoft really sucks !

Its been great, really great, but its all over it seems.
Unless someone knows something I don't..

Regards all..

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear you're having problems, Joned.  In the vast majority of cases, problems like these are more about your specific hardware/software configuration than the OS itself.  Unfortunately, OS updates can cause issues, but in most cases they can be solved.  Have you gone through the "AVSIM CTD Guide" linked on the RH side of the Avsim Home page?

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

The AVSIM CTD Guide link is not working and we hope to have it fixed by the end of the day.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Maybe this?  It affects more than just PMDG products.  Just have to wait it out until Microsoft issues a fix.

• Upvote 1

Bob Bressert

It is very terrible indeed but with the idea that a majority of my products work with P3Dv4 I went ahead and got it. This update was my deciding factor to switch and I recommend you do as well. All I can say is that I was not happy repurchasing the PMDG products again. Hopefully you can find a solution but if not you may need to make the change.

Clay

spacer.png

There will be an update for windows 10 on Dec 12.  Prepar3d has been in touch with MS about this.  Once that fix comes in few days, it should eliminate this bug that lot of people are affected by 1709 update.  There are other programs than FSX which too are affected by this bug.

Hang in there, the fix is coming by Tuesday

• Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

4 hours ago, ClaytonYosten said:

It is very terrible indeed but with the idea that a majority of my products work with P3Dv4 I went ahead and got it. This update was my deciding factor to switch and I recommend you do as well. All I can say is that I was not happy repurchasing the PMDG products again. Hopefully you can find a solution but if not you may need to make the change.

Clay

As I stated in a previous post, going to P3Dv4 is not an option for some of us who are on fixed incomes, especially retirees such as myself. Plus having to re-purchase some addons? No way some of us can do that. For those who can go to P3D I'm happy for them, but it is not an option for everyone. :dry:

Forgive me if this is stupid question, but who is responsible for making sure any given software works on any given OS? A developer creates software for a particular OS. Then the OS changes. It is interesting to me that some folks then have a problem, and some, using the same software and OS, do not. Is it the responsibility of the OS maker to make sure that every piece of software works on every computer and OS? Sure, developer and OS maker can work together, but in the end, who must make it happen? So, yes, hardware comes into play. If it was just Windows, no one's addons would work. Do add on developers change their software to work with a new OS? I don't use any so I don't know. Or do they expect the OS to change for them? 

• Upvote 1

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

6 hours ago, charliewards said:

It’s Windows 10, not hardware. And FYI my P3D v4 is working fine... probably because it’s 64 bit.

So why doesn't everyone have the same error?

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the Windows update actually does? I am assuming a lot of people thought ut was a good idea too. I used to marvel at the way they kept upgrading MS Office when the version they replaced had no problems. Change for the sake of it? Justifying jobs? Seemed stupid and annoying to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AOB said:

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the Windows update actually does? I am assuming a lot of people thought ut was a good idea too. I used to marvel at the way they kept upgrading MS Office when the version they replaced had no problems. Change for the sake of it? Justifying jobs? Seemed stupid and annoying to me.

Exactly my thoughts! Many sites, involved in one now, one of my personal healthcare monitor sites. Everything was fine and then all of sudden, screens change, results not accurate. IT people have to make changes and usually the end user ends up with a mess! "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Leave well enough alone!

Guide has been released.  Link to the guide is in my signature.  The link under Hot Spots will not work yet.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

8 hours ago, charliewards said:

It’s Windows 10, not hardware. And FYI my P3D v4 is working fine... probably because it’s 64 bit.

Or maybe because you don't dick around with it! :biggrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I know everyone's just trying to help and has the best of intentions, but I'm still seeing the "well it works on my end, so the problem must be with your software/hardware" getting thrown around after months of this error being posted about across various forums and social media. I personally have done a completely fresh install of Win 10 Pro from brand new 1709 installation media and still get the "child window" and/or "unsupported operation" errors. There is a compatibility problem with build 1709 and certain 32bit applications. For crying out loud, there is even a post on LM's official forums about it (because it affects P3D v3 which is still a 32bit application.) Please stop insinuating improper usage. Thank you :)

-it only affects FSX and P3D v3 (or earlier) NOT P3D v4

-it usually crops up with complex add ons like A2A, PMDG, FSDT GSX, etc. So "I have a totally default install of FSX and it works great, I don't see the problem, it must be you!" is probably true. It's the combination of multiple add ons + 32bit sim + 1709 that is the problem

• Upvote 1