Sign in to follow this  
gianmarcoragazzoni

VAS and OOM P3DV4

Hi, being about to make the final transition to days on P3DV4 from FSX SE I wanted to ask you if I can forget the various issues of the VAS and OOM that were present on FSX with the new version of P3DV4.
Thank you.

Gianmarco Ragazzoni

Yes, you can forever forget about VAS and OOM in P3Dv4 due its 64bit nature.  Memory issues are forever gone.  Now other bugs will always creep up but OOM won't. 

Now you can fly a pmdg aircraft in Orbx full ftx regions with tons of payware addons on top and not have a VAS/OOM CTD.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

48 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Yes, you can forever forget about VAS and OOM in P3Dv4 due its 64bit nature.  Memory issues are forever gone.  Now other bugs will always creep up but OOM won't. 

Now you can fly a pmdg aircraft in Orbx full ftx regions with tons of payware addons on top and not have a VAS/OOM CTD.

But with everything cranked up expect a drop off in FPS so it isn't the rose garden you might believe it to be....

Thomas Derbyshire

36 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

But with everything cranked up expect a drop off in FPS so it isn't the rose garden you might believe it to be....

Apples to apples, it will be. Comprimises are necessary, as always.

VAS and OOM gone! Great peace of mind  flying now with all addons payware to payware airports, ORBX etc. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

You can even do two flights with PMDG 737 without restarting P3D V4.

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

26 minutes ago, Branimir said:

Then you are lucky. If I do so, PMDG initializing is skipped and I get black gauges.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

33 minutes ago, Branimir said:

No problem on my end.

Have done several multilegs with different PMDGs, also with switching view inside/outside etc. as you like.

Never had any OOM since v4

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you notice any fps drop when doing multileg in PMDG without restarting? It’s been such a habit it feels awkward to not restart. Paranoid... 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

No FPS drops on my side from multilegs.

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

21 hours ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

Perfect, thanks. I hope I do not have big problems with the new i7-8700K hardware with the GTX 1070.

If you are investing in hardware get a 1080ti instead, huge difference.

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

On 08/12/2017 at 4:01 PM, Skywolf said:

Yes, you can forever forget about VAS and OOM in P3Dv4 due its 64bit nature.  Memory issues are forever gone.

That seems a rather utopian view. Anecdotally, a significant factor in FSX's (and by extension P3D's) OOM issues is the program's inability to release memory when it is no longer needed, whether through design or through buggy code. The 32-bit architecture just meant you ran out of address space before you ran out of physical memory. If such problems remain (or are introduced by add-ons) the limit is now the amount of physical memory installed. If you reach that, expect exciting new kinds of problems :smile:

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Assuming that one is not foolish enough to manually mess with automatic Windows paging file size, there is only one way that could happen.

If one's video card exhausts its onboard VRAM, it will then begin to use system RAM. If that gets used up an OOM will occur. That result can happen with both P3d and XP11.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Windows paging file

If you are relying on virtual memory you don't have enough RAM. The System Requirements for P3D4 cite a minimum of 4GB but the recommended amount is 16GB. It will no doubt run with 2GB but not very well. Google "thrashing".

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro