Sign in to follow this  
gianmarcoragazzoni

VAS and OOM P3DV4

9 hours ago, guenseli said:

Never had any OOM since v4

Yes, AVSIM CTD Forum lonely...

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 hours ago, simbol said:

If you are investing in hardware get a 1080ti instead, huge difference.

Simbol 

I thought I was doing the 1080ti but the price difference is still very high. Not taking advantage of the 4K for now I thought to choose the 1070 to save something. However, I think I can take advantage of the 1070 with the hardware I'm mounting. Ram DDR4 16GB 2400 and 2 SSD M.2 (1 250gb for OS and 1 1tb for P3DV4).

Gianmarco Ragazzoni

8 minutes ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

I thought I was doing the 1080ti but the price difference is still very high. Not taking advantage of the 4K for now I thought to choose the 1070 to save something. However, I think I can take advantage of the 1070 with the hardware I'm mounting. Ram DDR4 16GB 2400 and 2 SSD M.2 (1 250gb for OS and 1 1tb for P3DV4).

Gianmarco Ragazzoni

The 1080ti has also more memory and power which would allow you to launch PD3 with high resolution textures, more anti aliasing and other parameters that will give you very good sharp resolution results even when you are not running at 4k.

But if budget is a problem then I understand.

Simbol 

30 minutes ago, simbol said:

The 1080ti has also more memory and power which would allow you to launch PD3 with high resolution textures, more anti aliasing and other parameters that will give you very good sharp resolution results even when you are not running at 4k.

But if budget is a problem then I understand.

Simbol 

However, the 1070 should allow me to have good/excellent graphics performance, right? I would not regret the choice made of 1070... :blink:

44 minutes ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

Gianmarco Ragazzoni

I wouldn't worry about the 1070. 

Graphics memory use in P3dv4 will rarely exceed 6 Gb. That's VRAM as opposed to VAS.

As an example, I use a 1080 GTX with P3dv4. All graphics setting on max, 4096 resolution, Active Sky4, REX Soft Clouds/texture direct, Orbx scenery, Flight Beam airports, Ultimate Traffic Live, PMDG Queen of the Skies. I see a maximum of 5.5 GB Vram in use. Using GPUZ and the excellent EVGA monitoring software.

With current dx11 rendition in P3dv4, your graphics card will only use it's memory (VRam) to draw what's on your monitor. Those video games, using different rendering engines may use more VRam with all the 3d technology they use. We flight simmers don't use that tech (yet). 

With VAS in P3dv4 now only reliant upon how much physical memory you have installed, I doubt you will see any problems, provided you have the minimum RAM recommended by LM, that's 8 Gb.  

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

However, the 1070 should allow me to have good/excellent graphics performance, right? I would not regret the choice made of 1070... :blink:

PD3V4 is very demanding, it depends of what you want to see, if you are looking to see things the same way as the promotional videos some developers show, then you need to have the hardware they have.

Ask people around to show you pics and videos with 1070 so you don't feel disappointed later as you would be aware of what your expectations would be.

I have a 980ti water-cooled with a I7 6600K over clocked at 4.6, but run my PD3V4 at lower resolution with mid settings so I can use dynamic lighting and my video card is running maxed out at 99 percent.

Simbol 

16 minutes ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

For the most part, I find with an I7-6700K and a 1070, the 6700K is ALWAYS my bottleneck. If you're running an 8700K, I would argue that you won't have nearly the cpu limitations that I experience, but will the 8700K be so much better that you'll end up bottlenecked by the 1070...with P3Dv4.1, I doubt it. You're right, a 1080Ti is terribly expensive. Will it give you an extra $300 - $400 in value over a 1070...I can't answer that, but as long as I'm running a 6700K, I will never buy a 1080Ti.

Best of luck whichever you choose.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 minute ago, charlie130 said:

I wouldn't worry about the 1070. 

Graphics memory use in P3dv4 will rarely exceed 6 Gb. That's VRAM as opposed to VAS.

As an example, I use a 1080 GTX with P3dv4. All graphics setting on max, 4096 resolution, Active Sky4, REX Soft Clouds/texture direct, Orbx scenery, Flight Beam airports, Ultimate Traffic Live, PMDG Queen of the Skies. I see a maximum of 5.5 GB Vram in use. Using GPUZ and the excellent EVGA monitoring software.

With current dx11 rendition in P3dv4, your graphics card will only use it's memory (VRam) to draw what's on your monitor. Those video games, using different rendering engines may use more VRam with all the 3d technology they use. We flight simmers don't use that tech (yet). 

With VAS in P3dv4 now only reliant upon how much physical memory you have installed, I doubt you will see any problems, provided you have the minimum RAM recommended by LM, that's 8 Gb.  

Cheers!

You can set your PD3V4 with the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP Tweak set at 10 and you would see how your video card would get maxed out!

More information about this Tweak can be found here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/516812-the-texture_size_exp-tweak/?page=2#comment-3759335

Best Regards,

simbol 

No one "relies" on virtual memory. It just serves as a backstop so that OOMs don't occur. Apps begin to slow down indicating to thebuser to take action like saving files etc..

52 minutes ago, simbol said:

You can set your PD3V4 with the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP Tweak set at 10 and you would see how your video card would get maxed out!

More information about this Tweak can be found here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/516812-the-texture_size_exp-tweak/?page=2#comment-3759335

Best Regards,

simbol 

I never use any tweaks in P3d. Never see any need. The draw distance of distant scenery is fine with whatever I set in the graphics options. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, gianmarcoragazzoni said:

you would be better off getting a 7700k with a gtx 1080, always spend more towards your graphics card than your cpu, the trade off is better with a 1080 vs a 1070.p3d will get better use out of the 1080 rather than the 8700k over the 7700k. both the 7700k and 8700k can both do 4.8ghz out of the box, with a large majority doing 5ghz.i made the mistake of going from a 7700k to an amd 1800x. when i should have kept the 7700k at 5ghz. i plan on changing my 1800x out for a 9700k if i am still living when it's released next year, only because i already have a 1080ti. keep in mind the z270 platform has nowhere to go as well as the z370, when the 9700k is released, a new motherboard will probably be required again.

Just did a search for 8700K, and Amazon, Newegg, and B&H Photo don't even have them in stock...what's up with that?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB