Sign in to follow this  
softreset

X-Plane 11 demo crash / BSOD on launch

Brand new computer, downloaded the Windows demo. Crash varies between BSOD & virtual memory areas.

Log file

8700k / 16GB RAM / GTX 1080

Removed NVIDIA drivers that came from Dell/Alienware and installed the 1080 drivers from NVIDIA after remove the GeForce experience panel.

Went in and manually adjusted the virtual memory page file to allow 16384 on the max, same issue. No add-ons, just the demo (can't even get to settings to adjust them).

The computer handles everything else I throw at it without an issue. FSX:SE, P3Dv4, No Man's Sky, GTA5, World of Warcraft.

I followed some recommendations to:

-Can you launch the installer again so that corrupted files can be replaced?

-If this doesn't solve the issue, delete or move for backup the entire .../X-Plane 11/Output/Preferences folder.

That allowed me to launch the game once and then back to BSODs.

Any ideas, recommendations, tips? The X-Plane support forums have gone silent and honestly, 50% of the reason I bought this computer was to run X-Plane 11.

x-plane doesnt have a support forum ? or do you mean the.org ?  I would suggest writing directly to laminar research. they are usually very helpfull with this kind of problems, especially if you are running stock system. i suppose you are not running an overclock ? 

1 hour ago, softreset said:

Crash varies between BSOD & virtual memory areas.

Try this:

http://www.x-plane.com/kb/deleting-preferences/

its says XP9, but it also applies to XP10 and XP11

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, softreset said:

Went in and manually adjusted the virtual memory page file to allow 16384 on the max, same issue.

DO NOT EVER USE manually adjusted virtual memory pagefile. Virtual memory management must be left to the operating system. Set it back to auto and try again.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

5 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

Try this:

http://www.x-plane.com/kb/deleting-preferences/

its says XP9, but it also applies to XP10 and XP11

Thanks. Tried that. Worked great for a single launch and I was able to complete the demo tutorial. Subsequent relaunches have resulted in the same crash.

4 minutes ago, Murmur said:

DO NOT EVER USE manually adjusted virtual memory pagefile. Virtual memory management must be left to the operating system. Set it back to auto and try again.

Gotcha, looks like the article I followed on X-Plane's website where this was recommended is only applicable for 32-bit. I had backed it out after a single launch with it manually configured did not resolve. With auto enabled, same issue.

10 hours ago, alpha12125 said:

can you remove any joysticks , gamepads etc then try to launch ?

All peripherals (including USB headphones removed). The game will launch to the menu but when I attempt to load a flight it'll crash on asynchronous loading.

10 hours ago, jh71 said:

None of the other programs you mention use as much memory as X-plane. Can you run a test against the memory dimms?

Used memtest86 on a USB boot drive. No issues/problems detected.

i know that one and usually i wouldnt suggest it. thats why i said i am grasping for straws that maybe an install in a different folder, or that there are bad sectors on the hdd and a reinstall might help there. Like i said its grasping for straws as i have no idea what it could be 

If it always crashes at the same location, maybe you have indeed it is a corrupted file.

You could try deleting this file:  Global Scenery/X-Plane 11 Demo Areas/Earth nav data/+40-130/+47-123.dsf, then rerun the installer again.

Or wipe completely the Scenery directories: Custom Scenery/  and Global Scenery/ then rerun the installer to download them again.

There is no need to uninstall/reinstall the complete program.

But most of the time, BSoD points to a hardware problem. Especially because you mention virtual memory areas. When you experience BSoD, there is a error code. Investigating this can help to pinpoint to the faulty component (be it hardware or software or OS). A screenshot would already be helpfull.

There are no official X-Plane support forums. But you can ask for support: mailto:info@x-plane.com. Make sure to include the Log.txt and crashreports (found in: X-Plane 11/Output/crash_reports).

Good luck. This kind of problems is not common in the X-Plane world.