Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

GTN 750

44 minutes ago, AAN1718A said:

If that's the case, then what is the point of $50 for a navigation system with obsolete data that can't be updated? I've been reading posts of the GTN 750/650 and how much everyone likes it, but I'm on the fence here about getting it, but can't seem to get past the old chart and navigation data. I certainly am no expert when it comes to things like this, which is why I ask about the cost vs. long term effectiveness of this software.

If you absolutely must have up to date Navdata in your airplane, but you do not own the real unit, this is probably not the best avionics solution for you.

If on the other hand, you can accept the fact that much of what you see on the ground dates back to 2007, and the GTN comes with late 2016 navdata, or if you own the real unit (or know someone who does..) and can transfer from there, or if you are willing to pay for actual real world subscription data from Garmin/Jeppesen, you will find that the GTN is a fantastic piece of avionics gear that will allow you to navigate the FS skies in style.   :biggrin:

I am currently involved in the Aerosoft Around the World in 80 days challenge and rely on my GTN 750 to get me from Shanghai to Tokyo and land me there on an ILS approach..    :cool:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/127531-traveling-in-style/

• Upvote 1

Bert

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

If you intercept the GS from above, it will not "catch" and descend. You need to intercept the GS from below and then the a/c should capture it and follow it down. Also be aware that it is possible to fly through the GS if your speed is way too high.

Vic

Hi Vic

I just did a circuit at my local airport and all worked perfect, I think it was because I clicked on the "other" AP line LOC 

This time I just click APP above the GTN and it glided down beautifully :biggrin:

Did I say I love this plane :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

57 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Did I say I love this plane :biggrin:

Agreed - really fun and fast!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

10 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Agreed - really fun and fast!

Vic

Fast! it sure is, take off and climb it's like a rocket. VSI set to 4000 or even 6000 is not a problem :ohmy:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Bought the XP Lear 25 yesterday and thinking about retrofitting it with RNAV capability. Does the GTN work in the VC or do you need to open 2D to manipulate it?

thanks

14 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Fast! it sure is, take off and climb it's like a rocket. VSI set to 4000 or even 6000 is not a problem 

I usually set 6,000 for my initial before take off then adjust as I get higher. Have disabled the autothrottle as I don't like it blasting off when I hit my TOGA button.

4 minutes ago, Vargveum said:

Bought the XP Lear 25 yesterday and thinking about retrofitting it with RNAV capability. Does the GTN work in the VC or do you need to open 2D to manipulate it?

Works fine in the panel. I find it a bit small though so have a button on my yoke programmed to pop it open & closed for when I'm busy & can't grab the mouse but need a better look.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you absolutely must have up to date Navdata in your airplane, but you do not own the real unit, this is probably not the best avionics solution for you.

If on the other hand, you can accept the fact that much of what you see on the ground dates back to 2007, and the GTN comes with late 2016 navdata, or if you own the real unit (or know someone who does..) and can transfer from there, or if you are willing to pay for actual real world subscription data from Garmin/Jeppesen, you will find that the GTN is a fantastic piece of avionics gear that will allow you to navigate the FS skies in style.   :biggrin:

I am currently involved in the Aerosoft Around the World in 80 days challenge and rely on my GTN 750 to get me from Shanghai to Tokyo and land me there on an ILS approach..    :cool:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/127531-traveling-in-style/

I certainly don't disagree, Sim world is technically static (although I hear X-Plane is working on something to change that). I might be worth a go for some GA aircraft I suppose. I can't tell you how many times I've flown an approach only to find the runway isn't there.

Thank you for you insight.

Michael Lagow
Madness Software