Sign in to follow this  
charlie130

Why no V Speeds in GE aircraft?

Just question I have failed to find a solution to.

In the GE engined 747's I can not get any V Speeds set during the pre flight.

Exact same pre flight in a RR engined 747 and the V Speeds are there?

Anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?

Cheers.

Missing V speeds is usually an indication that preflight is not complete, for example INS alignment, runway selection, PERF page setup, takeoff thrust set.  There is certainly no reason why a GE equipped aircraft would inhibit V speeds because of engine selection.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,

I would suspect the GW not confirmed on the perf init page.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Thanks chaps, I will take a look at the numbers again. She certainly needs more care and attention than the NGX?

6 minutes ago, Budbud said:

I would suspect the GW not confirmed on the perf init page.

Usually almost always this. Do keep in mind that different airlines have different configurations for their 747s, so what works for one plane might not work for another. It's not often that one airline will have multiple engine types for one type (yes, I know there are exceptions).

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I believe there is also an airline option for the FMC to calculate V speeds (or not). This is not engine-specific per se but it may be livery/registration specific if PMDG have provided the option - I can't remember if they have or not.

5 hours ago, charlie130 said:

In the GE engined 747's I can not get any V Speeds set during the pre flight.

Are you writing about V Speeds in he FMC or on the PFD speed tape? If they are not on the speed tape you need to click the line select buttons next to the speeds in the FMC on the Takeoff page to accept the speeds and send them to the PFD speed tape. If they never appear in the FMC the above replys should answer your question.

10 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Usually almost always this. Do keep in mind that different airlines have different configurations for their 747s, so what works for one plane might not work for another. It's not often that one airline will have multiple engine types for one type (yes, I know there are exceptions).

Yes, I am doing the same flight EHAM to LSZH in the KLM GE model and the BAW RR model.

9 hours ago, skelsey said:

I believe there is also an airline option for the FMC to calculate V speeds (or not). This is not engine-specific per se but it may be livery/registration specific if PMDG have provided the option - I can't remember if they have or not.

Could be this? The RR calculates V Speed and I see it in the FMC. The KLM GE model doesn't appear to. But this is probably me?

5 hours ago, pcubine said:

Are you writing about V Speeds in he FMC or on the PFD speed tape? If they are not on the speed tape you need to click the line select buttons next to the speeds in the FMC on the Takeoff page to accept the speeds and send them to the PFD speed tape. If they never appear in the FMC the above replys should answer your question.

V Speeds not appearing in the FMC. So I will re check my entry sequence for the weights. I usually set the fuel weight first, in the center FMC, then the ZFW. I do this first, upon entering the flight deck, using a long push on "menu" to activate the CDU. I then go through the power up and IRS routines.

Thanks I will re check what I am doing!

Best regards.

15 minutes ago, charlie130 said:

Thanks I will re check what I am doing!

On some 744s'  the GR WT ADV on the PERF INIT page has a < sign. If you see this be sure to click the line select button beside the GR WT ADV otherwise you will never get a V Speeds. This tripped me up during Beta testing until someone told me how to do it. 

1 hour ago, charlie130 said:

The KLM GE model doesn't appear to.

48 minutes ago, pcubine said:

On some 744s'  the GR WT ADV on the PERF INIT page has a < sign. If you see this be sure to click the line select button beside the GR WT ADV otherwise you will never get a V Speeds. This tripped me up during Beta testing until someone told me how to do it. 

Yep, on the KLM, the aircraft are equipped with the weight sensor, so you have to confirm the gross weight on the perf init page.

In any case, whether it is the V speed calculation option (to be verified, I know that you can hide the v speed in the takeoff perf page but no sure there is an option in the PMDG setup) or the weight sensor option, they are not engine type specific but aircraft specific. 

Since the BAW are not fitted with the weight sensor and the KLM are, you may find a coincidence since one model is RR and the other one is GE but it is just a coincidence.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

1 hour ago, pcubine said:

Yes, copy that!  I missed the < sign on the GW Wt ADV line, without confirming it (selecting it) no V Speeds appear!

39 minutes ago, Budbud said:

Yep, on the KLM, the aircraft are equipped with the weight sensor, so you have to confirm the gross weight on the perf init page.

In any case, whether it is the V speed calculation option (to be verified, I know that you can hide the v speed in the takeoff perf page but no sure there is an option in the PMDG setup) or the weight sensor option, they are not engine type specific but aircraft specific. 

Since the BAW are not fitted with the weight sensor and the KLM are, you may find a coincidence since one model is RR and the other one is GE but it is just a coincidence.

Thanks, its definitely the < sign to confirm GW!

On page 10 (Aircraft/Eqiupment)  there is a selection for FMC calculates V speeds, but I have that selected in all model variants.

Cheers guys, that's resolved now I think?:biggrin:

Best regards.

1 minute ago, charlie130 said:

Cheers guys, that's resolved now I think?

Seems so.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

And check your reversers. Are they in the stow position. If you can't move your throttle levers they are not in the "real" stow position.

Regards
Jo va Bra